How does one get rated in the APA

billiardthought

Anti-intellectualism
Silver Member
Men start out as a 4, women start out as a 3. That goes for 8 ball and 9 ball. As you win or lose your following your matches your skill level may go up or down until you establish your general skill level.

iba7467

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When you join the league, who gives you a rating and what is the process?

You start with the rating of the average player of your gender. Men start as 4 and women as 3. Each match you play factors in to whether you go up or down. In the APA this depends on number of innings (times at the table) of games you win and whether you won. If you break and run, you will go up. You can win every time and not go up if you have higher innings. This is a simple summary.

The APA used to say, may still, that they take the best 10 of your last 20 matches. Once you have an established handicap, you would have to play worse than your worst 10 matches to possibly go down and one solid win is only 10% of your ten best.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Men start out as a 4, women start out as a 3. That goes for 8 ball and 9 ball. As you win or lose your following your matches your skill level may go up or down until you establish your general skill level.

Unless your a known player then they can start you higher. I was brought in as a 7 in 9 ball

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I started playing APA, I told them I was between a 6 and a 7.
They started me as a 4. I played against a 5 and won all 4 games in an average of 1.5 innings per game.
Next week I was a 7. Played against a 7 and lost 3-5 with an average of 2.2 innings per game.
The following week I was a 4 again, beat the snot out of the victim
The following week I was a 6, went hill-hill against a 6 with lots of safety play (some uncalled)
the next week I was a 5,
and on and on,
finally stabilizing at the end of the season as a 6.

Now, had they listened to me at the beginning, I would have just stayed a 6 for the entire season.

On a good night I can beat an average 7, on a poor night I can lose to a good 5.

The trick to keeping your level up is to call all of your safeties (if this is your desire.)
The trick to keeping your level down is the play uncalled safeties (if this is your desire)