Billy Thorpe - A Pet Peeve Of Mine

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
I've written about this before and it's reared its ugly head again.

During Billy and Jayson's match as Billy was going down to take a shot his freaking Molinari Glove sponsor patch fell off his chest and onto the table. The US Open is an all-balls-foul event and this came close to being a foul.

Why in the world don't the sponsor patches get sewn or screened onto the players shirts? :angry:

Besides creating a potential foul situation like what we saw with Billy, I think it makes our sport look low rent.

Added to this was that for the rest of the match, I watched as Billy had to keep checking this patch to make sure it was sticking to his shirt. He's obv got enough other things to be thinking about that he shouldn't have such a distraction.

imo, there's no excuse for this.

btw, this same thing happened with Jayson at, I think, Derby City a few years ago. It was great to see him last night wearing an all-screened shirt. :thumbup:

best,
brian kc

PoppaSaun

Banned
Stick-on patches are much too elegant for pool. What would really fit the sport is to require all participants to wear ribbed white cotton tank-tops. Sponsors would then use sharpies to draw their logos on the tank-tops.

Tube-tops for the ladies.

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
" it was just a wardrobe malfunction"

lol

At least his boob didn't pop out

Why would he not have the patch sewed on to his shirt? Makes no sense to me. These are world class players, and they can't afford to get a sewing job done for their sponsor's patches? How much could a sewing job like that possibly cost?

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why would he not have the patch sewed on to his shirt? Makes no sense to me. These are world class players, and they can't afford to get a sewing job done for their sponsor's patches? How much could a sewing job like that possibly cost?

Think it through:
Player expects sponsor to provide attire.
Sponsor has to order attire before it is needed.

Stickers are FAR cheaper, go on any piece of attire, ensure adherence to branding, easier to deliver to player.

Using stickers, instead of embroidery, is a sound practice.

briankenobi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Or you can just sew them yourself. :) All of the patches on my vest I have sewn on. Doesn't take too long to do that.

I do like the fact that Billy normally dresses nice the whole time and not just for the TV table.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Anyone ever heard of safety pins? That would be a nice touch, wouldn't it? :grin:

Coop1701

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Flex Seal on it... :)

Attachments

• Flex.jpg
    Flex.jpg
    190 KB · Views: 1,535

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Probably about the same as cashing in the event.

tonyboy59

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would've have scotch taped it just to be sure before the match started...why take any chances? All kidding aside, as the "player" I would have ensure all my patches/lables were sewed on...take a little personal responsibility and pride on your appearance.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Well beside that, it takes one of your better shirts out of your every day wardrobe which has to be replaced.

JoshStodola

My stroke is garbage
Silver Member
Pretty ridiculous

I noticed this too and thought "how does that even happen?!" but then I was instantly reminded of the hand-written matches/scores on a white dry erase marker board. These little nit-picky things might seem irrelevant, but they actually leave an impression on viewers, and the people running the show are utterly clueless. It's embarrassing! Barry Hearn would shit a brick if anything like this happened in a recorded snooker match. If this isn't rock bottom for professional pool in USA, I don't know what is. :(