Seyberts Question

Zphix

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does anybody know if Seyberts can turn a shaft down below 12.3mm if that's what I wanted?

I prefer 11.75mm on my playing cues and I'm wondering if I order a cue if they turn it down to that thickness?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does anybody know if Seyberts can turn a shaft down below 12.3mm if that's what I wanted?

I prefer 11.75mm on my playing cues and I'm wondering if I order a cue if they turn it down to that thickness?
Their cue guy is a AZ'r: KJ Cues. I'd just pm him.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That may be, but the guy that, for most of the past year, actually turns down the shafts is not KJ. It however, another AzBr, Bossman69. He does all their shaft "tunings", as well as the stacked leather wraps. Find him here, or on FB at Cuesports of Battle Creek. He also happens to be an excellent teacher, and one of the best 1P instructors in the country! :grin:

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

Their cue guy is a AZ'r: KJ Cues. I'd just pm him.

Ill Gotten Gain

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Most cue repairman will not turn down a full shaft (13mm) down to what you're looking for all at once. Shaft wood might move(warp). Not worth the headache for them to possibly be blamed for it.

Zphix

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the replies everyone!

Yeah, when I had my sneaky made the maker stressed how turning down a shaft to 11.75 is a process that takes time - I'm only asking if they'd be willing to do it if I was totally cool with them taking the time necessary to turn it down to that thickness.

The predicament I'm kind of in is that the pesudo-sneaky I had made has African Blackwood collars so I can't just pick up a new shaft that automatically matches so I've been thinking about getting another player cue (really eying the new OB Merry Widow design) so future shaft stuff is a bit easier.

That being said, I still prefer my playing cue to be around 11.75 so I won't buy a new cue if it's not reasonable or possible to have the shaft taken down to that thickness.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the replies everyone!

Yeah, when I had my sneaky made the maker stressed how turning down a shaft to 11.75 is a process that takes time - I'm only asking if they'd be willing to do it if I was totally cool with them taking the time necessary to turn it down to that thickness.

The predicament I'm kind of in is that the pesudo-sneaky I had made has African Blackwood collars so I can't just pick up a new shaft that automatically matches so I've been thinking about getting another player cue (really eying the new OB Merry Widow design) so future shaft stuff is a bit easier.

That being said, I still prefer my playing cue to be around 11.75 so I won't buy a new cue if it's not reasonable or possible to have the shaft taken down to that thickness.

As long as it's not a special after market shaft that has specific spec's. You'll be fine.

TomInFaribo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They turned my 314-2s down to 12.25 That was the minimum when I had it done. Not sure now but I found out information in their forums.

CuesRus1973

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Predator sells a "partial shaft". It's a shaft that is basically complete, just needs the joint work done. The Z-3 is 11.75mm. The idea is that they can be custom fitted to any cue.
You should be able to find a cue maker that can take one of these and match your ring work on it and fit it to your cue.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Depends on the shaft, some cues have a limit from the manufacturer. A solid wood cue you can turn down to 11.75, but keep in mind that it gets harder to keep the shaft straight, and should be done in several steps. Since whoever does it may be liable to replace the shaft if something happens you may get them to do it, but if it bends, that would be on you to replace it.

I know if someone asked me to overclock a computer to a speed I was not comfortable with, I'd tell them I can do it, but if it dies, that is on you.

Zphix

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mike,

I was eying down OB's new Merry Widow design - 3/8x10 joint with an OB-1+ shaft which I know can be taken down to 11.75 because I have a few friends with OB shafts at that diameter. Though, it wasn't a plus shaft, it was an original I believe so maybe that makes a difference.

Was also looking at the Predator Classicos but I'm too big a fan of OB products to pass them up! =)

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mike,

I was eying down OB's new Merry Widow design - 3/8x10 joint with an OB-1+ shaft which I know can be taken down to 11.75 because I have a few friends with OB shafts at that diameter. Though, it wasn't a plus shaft, it was an original I believe so maybe that makes a difference.

Was also looking at the Predator Classicos but I'm too big a fan of OB products to pass them up! =)

All great products and loyalty for what you like is the best option and compliment.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And where did you come up with that???

If I sent a shaft to Seyberts and they messed it up, I would expect them to replace it, unless they specifically said they will do it on a best effort no guarantees agreement. You bring your car into the shop, they drive another car into it, you are not going to pay for the repair are you?

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If I sent a shaft to Seyberts and they messed it up, I would expect them to replace it, unless they specifically said they will do it on a best effort no guarantees agreement. You bring your car into the shop, they drive another car into it, you are not going to pay for the repair are you?

Why are people always comparing cars to cues?
Facts:
There are new cues and 2nd hand cues. What ever you think you see on a used cue rolling it and what I see spinning it between centers is not always the same thing. I will say the same thing on a new shaft because I go thru it all the time doing repairs. The customers answer is every single time. But it's brand new or I take very good care of it. And my answer is, every single time because I spin every maker's shaft between centers before I work on it.
Reality of what you think you have sometimes sucks. Everyone looks for that go to person to blame it on and take responsibility for something they didn't make. Pure bullshit.