You break it, you bought it

I Got Lucky

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anyone ever have someone damage or break your cue and then refuse to pay for said damages?

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anyone ever have someone damage or break your cue and then refuse to pay for said damages?

Im pretty easy to deal with in those situations. I accept cash OR teeth as payment. :thumbup:

Im joking btw :thumbup2:

Last edited:

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
Barring outright utter negligence....it’s your fault for letting the egg head borrow your equipment and not being honest to yourself that mr egg head don’t give no bleep about you or bleep about paying you back

Ever let coworkers use a tool?

Ever work in the gulf and have hands drop your shit in the water...., throw you bag from the basket to deck unloading break your computers.....

Worlds full of “my bads” and indefinite duck artists.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I Got Lucky

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Barring outright utter negligence....it’s your fault for letting the egg head borrow your equipment and not being honest to yourself that mr egg head don’t give no bleep about you or bleep about paying you back

Ever let coworkers use a tool?

Ever work in the gulf and have hands drop your shit in the water...., throw you bag from the basket to deck unloading break your computers.....

Worlds full of “my bads” and indefinite duck artists.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I was also implying someone that knocks your stick oved or falls down on to your stick or any other instance where they are neglegent.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I was also implying someone that knocks your stick oved or falls down on to your stick or any other instance where they are neglegent.

Tough call. It would be nice if the knocker over offered to pay for the repair. However what we bring with us is our responsibility. I never bring my best with me or leave it where it can get damaged.
As for other accidents I never let anyone use or borrow my cues...not even to test out. 2x I Iet people try a brand new 314 and got it back in 5 minutes with a nice nick.

Last edited:

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
Years ago, a good friend who "dabbles" in cue repair offered to put a new tip on my break shaft. He's done work for me before and after this incident. Roughly two months after I gave him the shaft, asked for it back. He offered to allow me to borrow his personal break cue. A near new OB Rift with the "control" shaft and tip. Liked it a lot and he agreed to sell it to me for $250. Gave him $100 up front. Never got my Schon shaft back. Never paid him the additional $150. Think this was a fair solution. What do you think?

Lyn

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Depends on the details.

You stand your stick against the side of your table while racking. The tables are crowded together. A player on the neighboring table steps back into his shot and his foot bumps your cue, it slides down the rail and hits the sharp metal by the pocket getting a bad gash in the shaft right where your bridge is.

Your fault. Learn.

If it's really their fault, you can ask them to help with the repair cost. If they won't, there are the usual methods of collecting a debt, none of which is pleasant.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your fault for leaving it where that can happen. I've been in 'halls since '79 and have never seen someone accidentally fall on or trip over someone else's cue. I've seen PLENTY broken on purpose but nothing like the situation you describe. Sure it may happen but i've never seen it. About all you could do is ask for help repairing/replacing but that could go sideways quick.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
very confusing thread, I'm lost here.

Here, maybe this story will help:

I was on a group bike ride and we are coming up to a sprint line. Group is about 50, but only about 12-15 up front, trying to get position for the sprint. We Crest a little hill going into a very mild chicane, prob 25-30 mph, out of the saddle and getting it. Overt the hill, I nose out in front, on the inside of a mild right. Ass soon as I hit the front, 'PFTT'-front tire goes flat and it is metal rim on street, soon to be me on pavement.

Since I am on the inside, dude next to me has no chance and he goes down with me. This broke his carbon fork and later he found frame cracked too.

We sat nearby for about 45 min, waiting to be picked up and bleeding together. I didn't offer to replace his shit and he didn't ask me to.

See? Helpful.

Bca8ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to the OP...
If you allow someone to break with your break cue and it breaks during their normal usage it would have also broke during yours as well.... Better to know now vs during a tournament or match.

Abuse is a different subject all together.

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
I have seen new very high end cues damsge buy clumsey idiots with no offer to pay.
As far as my own cues over the years I've had about a dozen cues damaged in some way aend have never received a penny.
Either I didn't notice it right away, the guy denied doing it, or the guy was broke.

I no longer let people play with my pool cues.
Sold a Tim Scruggs cue for $3200 and didn't let the guy hit with it first.
The is some kind of strange clumsey gene some people have that only comes out when guys are using other peoples cues.
I bought a Runde Schon from a guy who played with it everyday for 20 years, and never put a ding on it.
One day I let him play with a nice sneaky I had and was waiting for the buyer to show up.
I was playing right next to this old guy using my cue.
Ten minutes later he handed the cue back ro me and left, which was odd because he never leaves.
When the buyer showed up the cue had a huge deep gouge in the forearm.
Again not one ding in a cue the same guy used everyday for 20 years.

The few times in the last 8-years or so that I have let others use a cue I stay around and hover over the table.
Yesterday a guy asked me if he could use a cue for 2 weeks before he buys it because he cant tell how it hits right away.
He will be lucky to get it for 10 minutes and probably less.

My first problem was loaning a brand new black Predator to a guy who forgot his cue, 15 years ago.
That was the worst one because I forgot the guy was a hot head.
The cue was basically destroyed and he denied doing it.

This all happens in bars and pool halls, and it's my fault in some cases for leaving people alone with cues.
One time everybody was hanging around looking at cues I was selling, and caught him trying to screw an Ernie Martinez shaft 3/8-12 onto a uniloc joint Predator.
When I realized what was going on I took the shaft and wood particles were falling out.
I had a new cue with a cocobolo joint I was trying to sell and when I got home I noticed a 1/4" chunk out of the joint.

The worst one was someone elses cue nowhere near my table, but the clumsy idiot came in to see me.
Brand new custom cue worth $3500.
Guy walking to my table sees this new cue, picked it up without asking, dropped it leaving a deep 1/2" ding in the butt sleeve, and didn't offer to do anything.
The cuemaker told her to play with it for a year or until it gets more dings and he will refinish it for her.

People are more careful with their own cues, not on purpose, some clumsy trait or gene comes over them and bad things happen.
Now even to test hit a cue I might say no

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Seemingly competent people do the weirdest things with other people's stuff.
Must be a jinx or something... I let a guy I played 1P with for years try my
newly acquired Southwest cue... gets down on the first shot, dings the butt into the
aluminum edging on a GC rail. Mind you, this guy has several really nice cues and I'd never seen him do that.

Never again.