Compiling a List of Cross Eye Dominant Pros

FeelDaShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Please help me compile a list of cross eye dominant pros. I'm trying to analyze how many of them are able to keep their back arm/forearm completely vertical when they stroke.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Please help me compile a list of cross eye dominant pros. I'm trying to analyze how many of them are able to keep their back arm/forearm completely vertical when they stroke.

Here’s a start:

Jayson Shaw
Albin Ouschan
Buddy Hall
Alex Pagulayan
Cisero Murphy
Mark Selby
Judd trump
Neil Robertson
Ronnie O’Sullivan
Willie Mosconi

Every time I go to an event, nearly half of the pros are cross-dominant.

Last edited:

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
John Morra. He keeps the cue in same place under left eye whether he is shooting right handed or left handed. So I guess you could say he was cross dominant but now he isn't?

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lets start with those who are pretty noticeable... One of the greatest and most successful player in Europe who in his 50 is still competetive to say at least...Ralph Souquet. Then we have world champion 2017 in 9-ball Albin Ouschan... Wu Jiaqing who has so powerful stroke. John Morra was but he had to switch hands and now plays left handed. Out of mentioned great players with exception to John Morra all the others have their shoulder slightly closer to the body and that seems to work well for them. There are really many cross eye dominant pros. A friend of mine and in my opinion the best player in my country Artem Koshovyi is also one of them and he is really great natural talent.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here’s a start:

Jayson Shaw
Albin Ouschan
Buddy Hall
Alex Pagulayan
Cisero Murphy
Mark Selby
Judd trump
Neil Robertson
Ronnie O’Sullivan
Willie Mosconi

Every time I go to an event, nearly half of the pros are cross-dominant.

Wait a second. How do you know? You certainly can’t tell by watching them play.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What exactly is cross eye dominant?

It means that someone who is right-handed is also left-eye dominant or vice versa. But I think there’s some misunderstanding, because there’s no way to tell eye dominance by watching. Maybe people are talking about which eye they hold their cue under, but who knows if that means they’re dominant with that eye.

John Morra has played with his cue way over towards his left eye, but I believe I saw an interview where he said he was right eye dominant, but just preferred to play with the cue under his left eye. (And of course now he plays with his left hand.)

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
I mentioned this maybe a year or so ago, but I thought it was interesting and I'll mention it again.

I had some old billiard digest magazines that I kept since I purchased them don't even know how many years ago they went but probably in the 80s.

There was an article in one of those magazines that talked about the advantages of cross eye dominance. The primary advantage mentioned in that article was that in your stance, your dominant eye leads your body as you are turned on a slight angle when you address the table in your shooting stance.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
I mentioned this maybe a year or so ago, but I thought it was interesting and I'll mention it again.

I had some old billiard digest magazines that I kept since I purchased them don't even know how many years ago they went but probably in the 80s.

There was an article in one of those magazines that talked about the advantages of cross eye dominance. The primary advantage mentioned in that article was that in your stance, your dominant eye leads your body as you are turned on a slight angle when you address the table in your shooting stance.

Yep. Been saying this for years....

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Wait a second. How do you know? You certainly can’t tell by watching them play.

As already said, “cross-dominance” may not be the appropriate term, but I’m assuming the OP was specifically talking about holding the cue under the opposite eye, especially since the question was specific to stance and arm orientation.

Freddie <~~~ just like them champeens

Don Owen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is of interest to me ever since I read, many years ago, that the percentage of cross dominant pro baseball players was significantly higher than in the general population.
-- Don

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
This is of interest to me ever since I read, many years ago, that the percentage of cross dominant pro baseball players was significantly higher than in the general population.
-- Don

A right -handed batter leads with the left eye. So the left must must be more engaged (it a actually becomes dominant in that position). I can see the advantage if a player was already cross-dominant.

A poolplayer doesn’t lead nearly as much with the opposite eye, but I think the analysis is similar.

Freddie <~~~ we’ll see this question again in a few years

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Joe Davis, the Father of Snooker....15 times world champion

49D32315-CD18-47BC-A6C7-DF7B1E05B4E4.jpeg

They called him One-eyed Joe

George Chenier, 20 year North American snooker champion

88EF15ED-1677-4DA1-959B-789D483730BE.jpeg

..held the high run in both the snooker and 14.1 world championships at one time

Both extremely opposite-eyed

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
FYI just because they are aiming that way doesn't mean they are cross eye dominant , I was aiming that way for yrs never knew it till it was pointed out to me by Scott Lee ,