Straight Rail Cues

Biloxi69

Registered
Hello all. Newbie here. I enjoy playing straight rail carom and want to know what your opinions of what makes a great cue for straight rail. For example, the specs, or if you know a certain brand, hidden gems, and etc. I switched to a lighter cue to have a little more control over the speed. I still have a lot to learn.

Cheers,
Biloxi69

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Lighter is nicer
I like 11mm tip for anything
And i like a 54 inch cue

My current cue made by chuck starkey is 14 ounces
1 piece spalted maple butt, love it

You can get a longoni ravenna from kozoom shipped to the us for 150 and you can choose the tip dia and weight which is an amazing deal

To summarize, smaller tip, less weight is what most want for straight rail

HomeBrewer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm on the north shore of New Orleans and have a carom table and a variety of custom carom cues you're welcome to try out (most purchased from a forum member here who has already responded to your post).

Where have you been playing?

Biloxi69

Registered
Thanks for the input Texas. HomeBrewer, I play in the westbank mostly on weekends when I can get some free time. There are a couple asian pool halls but I mostly go to DaLat. Mostly a hangout for regulars and a karaoke joint. Only 3 tables for straight rail. I currently play with a Kilby that I bought on his website. It was the lightest he had at the time. Thanks for the offer.

Last edited:

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
14 oz cue?! Didn’t know they make em that light.

Depends on the wood, not much of a selection but its the second 14 ouncer ive had

Customs of course not production

The first was hackberry, and holy cow did it feel like garbage

The spalted maple works good when its stabilized, in the case of my current one

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
Texas,
Do you know how much do Starkey charge for a plane Jane carom cue?

same as most will, 400ish
same for kilby, kilby makes the traditional threaded shaft

starkey makes a threaded wood pin in the butt like most pool cues

whichever you prefer, i think the threaded shaft is the coolest
but feel no difference in any joint connection, metal or wood

both makers will be able to make a 1 piece butt pretty quick too

Biloxi69

Registered
Got it. Been researching cue lathe in the forum. I’ve made a homemade lathe and it’s paid for itself already but very limited in what I can do. Trying to find a good deal on a used lathe to do tips, ferrules, and shafts. Missed out on a few good deals. Saw a mid size Cue Smith sold for 600.00 flea bay. Looking for a Micro II or Mid. Heard good things about Mid America also.

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
i been pondering the need for a mid america for tips

just do my own with a razor lol

Last edited:

Biloxi69

Registered
I was doing the same with a Japanese knife. Started doing my own only then started getting request. I’ve been doing some tips,tapering, and ferrule works for the guys at local hall. I’ll keep a look out for deals.