mezz united joint a good fit for the acme joint schon?

Brandon79ta

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
From what I've been reading in theory it sounds like they are a close match. Does anyone have any experience with both or have them handy so they could check? Long shot I know but I don't have any retailers near by to check for myself.

Reason I ask is I'm hoping to be able to have a joint extension made with the mezz united joint and it fit my acme pin schon. Why not just have it custom made to fit the schon you ask? Cause the few I've ask that make extensions have no clue about the odd ball schon joint. So my hope is if I can find the pin and insert then I can get someone to make the thing.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
From what I've been reading in theory it sounds like they are a close match. Does anyone have any experience with both or have them handy so they could check? Long shot I know but I don't have any retailers near by to check for myself.

Reason I ask is I'm hoping to be able to have a joint extension made with the mezz united joint and it fit my acme pin schon. Why not just have it custom made to fit the schon you ask? Cause the few I've ask that make extensions have no clue about the odd ball schon joint. So my hope is if I can find the pin and insert then I can get someone to make the thing.

I've never seen a Schon with an acme joint screw. Is this something you had done?
Normally, they are around a .303x14 standard pitched screw. Which is no trouble for what you want done. The brass insert on the Schon shaft has a larger o.d. on the pilot at .528/ .530 o.d.
Hope this helps.

Brandon79ta

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've never seen a Schon with an acme joint screw. Is this something you had done?
Normally, they are around a .303x14 standard pitched screw. Which is no trouble for what you want done. The brass insert on the Schon shaft has a larger o.d. on the pilot at .528/ .530 o.d.
Hope this helps.

That's what I've always heard it called. It's the odd ball pin schon used in 92-93.

Here's a picture. I think the issue with it is the lack of threads as my balance rite stops short about the same distance as that top part of the pin that doesn't have threads. Btw I knew the balance rite wouldn't fit, had it from when I had an OB shaft. It worked then but I couldn't get used to the OB.

attachment.php

Last edited:

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's what I've always heard it called. It's the odd ball pin schon used in 92-93.

Here's a picture. I think the issue with it is the lack of threads as my balance rite stops short about the same distance as that top part of the pin that doesn't have threads. Btw I knew the balance rite wouldn't fit, had it from when I had an OB shaft. It worked then but I couldn't get used to the OB.

attachment.php

The front if it was different but still an undersized 5/16x14 standard scew.

IMG_20191224_102326.jpg

Last edited:

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just to give you a better idea of the variables in 5/16x14. I have these in my shop. Some will say it doesn't matter. But some will say it does matter. I won't argue the point. Each shop has thier own path they follow.

IMG_131020_013713_resized.jpg

I left out the Mezz united which measures about .313x14.
Just trying to help.

Last edited:

Brandon79ta

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Knew I should of taken that machining class in high school. I appreciate the help as I had no idea so many tiny differences in one type of pin existed. So I guess I need to find my calipers to figure out just which size I have.

Guess the next question is where can I order these odd size pins and does anyone make inserts for them? All I'm finding online is "lead screws" which doesn't look like what I'm looking for.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Knew I should of taken that machining class in high school. I appreciate the help as I had no idea so many tiny differences in one type of pin existed. So I guess I need to find my calipers to figure out just which size I have.

Guess the next question is where can I order these odd size pins and does anyone make inserts for them? All I'm finding online is "lead screws" which doesn't look like what I'm looking for.

First thing. I APOLOGIZE for showing people the differences. It's very easy to get caught up in it and start measuring what your actually dealing with.
Brass inserts are another variable. 7/16" O. D. Thread with variables depending on where you get them, which is one reason why I like blanks. No hole in the middle yet.
And multiple taps unfortunately to accommodate the 5/16" screws.

IMG_131020_093822_resized.jpg

Notice the two quick release on the left. 7/16x20 thread which by the drill chart requires a larger hole than the 7/16x14 but the O. D. On the thread is much smaller.

Again. My apologies.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Side note on the old Mali insert. I ofter wonder is when Mr. Mali or Norm Stalker designed this quick release for thier .295x14 joint screw, that it is also fits the standard 5/16x14 joint screw offered today and that it is still a quick release for todays screw, going on almost 3/4 of an inch before screwing. Cool stuff.

Canadian cue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just to give you a better idea of the variables in 5/16x14. I have these in my shop. Some will say it doesn't matter. But some will say it does matter. I won't argue the point. Each shop has thier own path they follow.

View attachment 559778

Just trying to help.

Do you have a thread Micrometer? Have you compared the the difference in size of the pitch diameter of the screws. That is the size that really matters in how the pin fits into the insert.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do you have a thread Micrometer? Have you compared the the difference in size of the pitch diameter of the screws. That is the size that really matters in how the pin fits into the insert.

Yes Sir.
On the screws. Approximate variance from .237 to .254. Size matters.
Btw
I did those a long time ago and put them in my book. It could vary.

Last edited:

3k1n

Hi sorry to be resurrecting an old thread. But wondering if anyone was able to confirm whether the schon acme pin works with a unified joint shaft.

Shooter1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi sorry to be resurrecting an old thread. But wondering if anyone was able to confirm whether the schon acme pin works with a unified joint shaft.
I have three Mezz WX700's "UJ's" and they fit on my SL6 I bought in 1996 that has the Acme pin.

slim123

View attachment 559778

Just trying to help.
Mike i have to say you are the man when it comes to a pin or a fit kudos!

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mike i have to say you are the man when it comes to a pin or a fit kudos!
Thank you but it's a burden at times. A royal pain in the ass sometimes too.
When it comes to the 5/16x14 Acme. I've only seen two Makers use that screw on New Cues.
Bill Stroud of course and myself. I always want to learn more about Cue maker's and the joint screws they have used. Past and present.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
this isn't my cue but mine looks exactly like this pic.
Understood.
Schon had a short run where the front of thier joint screws were smooth. It was still an undersized 5/16x14 not acme.
Notice the difference. Look at the width of the threads

Attachments

• IMG_20230822_165803.jpg
    IMG_20230822_165803.jpg
    246.2 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
this isn't my cue but mine looks exactly like this pic.
Looks very much like the United pin Mezz uses. Mr. Webb is the 5/16-14 guru for sure :cool:
An Acme thread is a trapezoidal thread form, it's flat on the top. It's commonly used for leadscrew on lathes, mills and CNC machines. I have seen pool cues with a true Acme pin, but it's not very common.