Are There Benefits To This Drill?

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
https://pad-v1.chalkysticks.com/15231.png

The two balls are positioned where there is about an inch to spare, about a half inch on both side. Shoot the 6B down through the 1B and 3B with follow, stun, and draw. And FYI, this is indeed a straight-in shot.

So, Instructors and knowledgeable posters......is there any benefit to shooting this drill?

r/DCP

NOTE: U12ARMRESL, IUSEDTOBERICH, AND BBB - PLEASE STAY OUT OF THIS THREAD. YOU WILL ADD NOTHING EXCEPT INSULTS AND ONCE AGAIN HIJACK A THREAD. PLEASE, JUST DONT POST ANYTHING HERE, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!!!

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not an instructor and not particularly knowledgeable either. But I do think it's a useful drill and a good post too. I would chart how often you hit either the one or three ball to see if there's a pattern. That will show a weakness in visual perception. Train the weak side. Knowing a weakness from a blocker you might move to another shot with a higher success rate.

Damn I know my cue ball has some sort of gravity pulling it toward nearby balls. I'm going to use this on long shot drills.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think yes and no. Obviously if dead straight is a problem, remedial drills are almost required. This includes close up where you might make stick fouls on peripheral balls.

The only issue I see is you may develop a dependency on the channeling effect of having obstacles in the shot image where if you find yourself with a sequence of long, high tolerance shots - 9 ball for FI, you may experience an involuntary "whiteout" blindness. Consistent method is everything here.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
https://pad-v1.chalkysticks.com/15231.png

The two balls are positioned where there is about an inch to spare, about a half inch on both side. Shoot the 6B down through the 1B and 3B with follow, stun, and draw. And FYI, this is indeed a straight-in shot.

So, Instructors and knowledgeable posters......is there any benefit to shooting this drill?

r/DCP

NOTE: U12ARMRESL, IUSEDTOBERICH, AND BBB - PLEASE STAY OUT OF THIS THREAD. YOU WILL ADD NOTHING EXCEPT INSULTS AND ONCE AGAIN HIJACK A THREAD. PLEASE, JUST DONT POST ANYTHING HERE, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!!!
Just curious as to why you ask about this? Its just another shot that comes up. Don't see any 'drill' benefits here. BTW, this is an OPEN forum. You can't dictate as to who does/doesn't reply to a thread. If someone has an opinion you just have to fade whatever they fire at you. Put on your big boy pants, its a forum full of pool players.

Last edited:

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow, DNR that part. Ignored it as signature.
And yeah, you gotta go with what gets posted; develop or ignore.

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just curious as to why you ask about this? Its just another shot that comes up. Don't see any 'drill' benefits here. BTW, this is an OPEN forum. You can't dictate as to who does/doesn't reply to a thread. If someone has an opinion you just have to fade whatever they fire at you. Put on your big boy pants, its a forum full of pool players.

No Drill Benefits?

1) In order to pocket the ball you need to pretty much have all of the following going for you. You need to make sure you have:
A) Aligned properly
B) Aimed properly
C) Stroked properly

2) With the two balls sort of interfering it makes you focus a great deal more. The best tip I have ever heard was one from Jim Rempe. He said you need to do five things on a pool shot - FOCUS FOCUS FOCUS FOCUS FOCUS

And as far as asking the others not to post - I did not prevent them from posting. Its just they have a past history of pulling crap and I was hoping to avoid that in this thread.

r/DCP

dquarasr

Registered
Not trying to be argumentative but how is this different from shooting the same shot without the obstacle balls and gauging how often the OB is pocketed without touching any cushions?

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not trying to be argumentative but how is this different from shooting the same shot without the obstacle balls and gauging how often the OB is pocketed without touching any cushions?

When there are balls close to the OB - as in the diagram - I have always struggled with the shot. I guess in my mind I am aware of how close those other two balls are and lose focus. Those two interfering balls make me focus more.

I shot this drill for about an hour last night and an hour today. Then tonight I broke some racks of 9B. I broke and ran out three straight times at one point. If not for a missed 4B on the 4th rack I might have got out four times in a row.

r/DCP

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
try putting the 2 balls a ball or 2 apart vertically
same distance apart just not side by side
let us know how that looks to you
and your success rate on the drill

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
bbb, I like that too. These interference drills really force you to focus on the OB and work your eye pattern discipline.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here is a drill that I think will give better results in pocketing accuracy faster and easier:

Mark the centers of all six pockets with donuts. There is a single spot on the cloth which can the be target for all shots to each pocket.

Play whichever drill you want but on every shot note how close you came to driving the the object ball over the center of the donut.

I hope everyone can see the advantages of working on pocketing accuracy this way rather than by putting up guard/gate balls.

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
............yes

I tried it this way. Didnt seem to enhance the drill one way or another. I believe I will stick with the two balls next to each other.

Either way, my success rate isnt very good doing this. I dont know what the problem is. Its got to be one of three things:
1) Bad alignment
2) Bad aim
3) Bad stroke

I am inclined to believe its a faulty stroke. Or just lack of ability, I suppose.

r/DCP

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I tried it this way. Didnt seem to enhance the drill one way or another. I believe I will stick with the two balls next to each other.

Either way, my success rate isnt very good doing this. I dont know what the problem is. Its got to be one of three things:
1) Bad alignment
2) Bad aim
3) Bad stroke

I am inclined to believe its a faulty stroke. Or just lack of ability, I suppose.

r/DCP

Try aligning the stick as you stand eyeballing the shot. IOW putting the stick exactly on the shot; tip resting on the table, backhand in contact with the cloth. Now get down without moving the stick. The shot will probably look different than if you got down with your normal routine. Reason says you did the geometry correctly therefore...

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

1) Bad alignment
2) Bad aim
3) Bad stroke

r/DCP

at least you tried it
thanks for trying and posting your results.....:thumbup::thumbup:

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Try Bob's suggestion (marking the center of the pocket and watching how close you come to it) and let us know what you think.

pj
chgo

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here is a drill that I think will give better results in pocketing accuracy faster and easier:

Mark the centers of all six pockets with donuts. There is a single spot on the cloth which can the be target for all shots to each pocket.

Play whichever drill you want but on every shot note how close you came to driving the the object ball over the center of the donut.

I hope everyone can see the advantages of working on pocketing accuracy this way rather than by putting up guard/gate balls.

A development of this drill would be to aim the edge of the ball to the corresponding facing and varying points on it, out to the tits. Doing this gives tangible to exact feedback

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
A development of this drill would be to aim the edge of the ball to the corresponding facing and varying points on it, out to the tits. Doing this gives tangible to exact feedback
I think the single point in the pocket for all shots is a better way to do it rather than have multiple targets changing for each shot. I think that most people are sending the center of the object ball in a certain direction rather than an edge.