Buying used 8' pro am table

Brizzle

Registered
Guy saleing 8' pro am table 15 years old he recently re done for $2500.
About 7 hour one way trip. 300 miles one way.

U haul wants .69c a mile. Little over $400.
$200 if i pick up truck at location and drop off at my location.
Dont really save anything that way.

Seller suggested uhaul trucks because moving the frame is bulky and heavy and easier to do than a van.

Any experience or advice moving these tables.
Should i try to find a closer table.
Id like to have table at my house set up less than 3k.
Dont see that happening.

Thank you

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Guy saleing 8' pro am table 15 years old he recently re done for $2500.
About 7 hour one way trip. 300 miles one way.

U haul wants .69c a mile. Little over $400.
$200 if i pick up truck at location and drop off at my location.
Dont really save anything that way.

Seller suggested uhaul trucks because moving the frame is bulky and heavy and easier to do than a van.

Any experience or advice moving these tables.
Should i try to find a closer table.
Id like to have table at my house set up less than 3k.
Dont see that happening.

Thank you
I'm not a mechanic or a pool table mover, but I recently had a GC I moved and set up.

I assume the one you're talking about a Diamond Pro Am. I am confused about the choice of vehicle. I assume you'd disassemble this, and the only big, bulky items are the slates. Is it a one piece or three piece slate? Are you planning on moving it yourself?

Regardless, a U-Haul trailer would do the job, cheaply, assuming you can tow it. Or, if you can borrow a full-size pickup truck, that will work, too.

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just checked the Diamond website and the Pro-am's are one piece slate, Yikes! The 8 footers weigh 1,000 lbs., how much of that is the slate? I don't know, but I think I would hire a professional to move and set that one up.

Poolmedic

Registered
I went through the same process not too long ago and was about to drive from MA to NY for GC2 until I came across another deal far better which was only a town over from me.

Uhaul used to be daily rental but they have switched over to mileage, which adds up quickly. If the seller (and possibly a friend of theirs) can assist you in loading the table into a rental SUV (a Tahoe / Suburban which makes it easy due to loading height and cover from unexpected weather) this will be your cheapest option, esp if you throw in some food and beers for the assisted help. Using enterprise, hertz or other rentals cars will be your most cost-effective as it's a daily rental and not by mileage.

For a maximum time/cost-effectiveness I propose you look for flights to the nearest airport (If it's cost-effective) to where the pool table is and use the rent-a-car service provided there, then drive to the destination followed by to your end destination which would be your home.

This method saves you not only money since your paying per day for the car with unlimited mileage (instead of per mile) but also saves you time since it eliminates driving and potential issues one way, leaving you only the drive back limiting unexpected issues, time travel and money out of pocket.

You can have your table back at your home and unloaded in one afternoon if its planned accordingly and weather permits. :thumbup:

Last edited:

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
With a one piece slate, I'd hire a mechanic familiar with moving Diamonds.