Cue tip - why does it get dry a lot quicker

vijesh

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi guys,

I recently moved from Melbourne, Australia to Toronto , Canada. What I have noticed is that my cue tip gets really dry and flaky ... Has anyone else experienced this? I used a kamui medium black, I tried the soft as well ... I had a similar issue. I have never experienced this issue ever before (lived in Dubai, UAE and London, UK)

Regards

VJ

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
Can you post a picture of this? I’m curious what you mean. Are pieces of leather flaking off or is the chalk acting funny on the tip?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can you post a picture of this? I’m curious what you mean. Are pieces of leather flaking off or is the chalk acting funny on the tip?
Same here. Never heard of a 'flaking' tip unless he means its de-laminating. Maybe its just a Canada Dry tip. ;)

vijesh

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So sadly I did not take any pictures, I got a new tip installed. The issue I face if not while play or chalking but when u reshape the tip the leather does not cut like a ribbon, it powders/flakes hence I do not end up with a smooth surface to play with , now if I use a fine a sand paper to even out the (cavity formed while reshaping/cutting) then the issue with the shape is solved but the tip feels very dry and lifeless.

vijesh

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think it is de-laminating I guess as the blade pulls the layers out .... I am not sure tbh.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So sadly I did not take any pictures, I got a new tip installed. The issue I face if not while play or chalking but when u reshape the tip the leather does not cut like a ribbon, it powders/flakes hence I do not end up with a smooth surface to play with , now if I use a fine a sand paper to even out the (cavity formed while reshaping/cutting) then the issue with the shape is solved but the tip feels very dry and lifeless.
I'm still baffled here. Just what does "dry and lifeless" mean? Counterfeit/knock-off tip possibly? Really need some pics of this. Might also put in the "Ask Cuemaker" section. Are you using a NEW/sharp blade? What speed is lathe at?

vijesh

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I take it to a local cue repair guy who reshapes the dome for me ... I will ask in the ask cuemaker section... I do not think its fake as I have changed over 4 tips (since the last 1.5 years living in canada) (sourced tips from various suppliers national and international

vijesh

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
by dry well i feel the cue tip has lost its elasticity and does not give the reaction that I would like.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think it is de-laminating I guess as the blade pulls the layers out .... I am not sure tbh.
A delaminated non-layered tip looks like an accordion. It can puff up to twice its normal height if you pick at it.

If the tip does not look and feel solid right after installation, something was done wrong.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Stop cutting at your own tips

Just dress them with a very fine paper once in a while

vijesh

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I usually ask the local cuesmith to do it , they do it using a blade , on a lathe. This time used the proper cutrite. Pencil sharpner like thing. on previous instances when the local cuesmith uses a blade the tip powders off and tells me that its too dry. I guess next time i will post a pic

vijesh

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think I would do this , its just that id like to see a defined edge on the cue tip.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I usually ask the local cuesmith to do it , they do it using a blade , on a lathe. This time used the proper cutrite. Pencil sharpner like thing. on previous instances when the local cuesmith uses a blade the tip powders off and tells me that its too dry. I guess next time i will post a pic
Never used one. Always a lathe, correct speed and a new sharp blade.

MmmSharp

Nudge is as good as a wink to a blind bat.
Silver Member
I am just south of Toronto, and never had an issue that sounds like yours. I do not know who you use, but I go to Spot on Billiards. Justin has done many tips for me over the years, and I often get a kamui clear medium. I usually shape it to a dime using one of the shapers with sandpaper in the dome. Once set, I don't need to touch it for a few months, and I play about 15 hours a week. then I will rough it up and good for a few more months.

Pictures would definitely help. Do you by chance leave your cue in your car ? the heat in the summer can affect it, and the cold in the winter as well. I have known people to have issues if they do not leave their cue in a climate controled place.

trinacria

in efren we trust
Silver Member
I would expect the drier weather from AUS and dubai to cause this issue. I think youre getting maybe old tips or counterfits.