Luggage for cues

Ipmtim

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What type of luggage do you guys who fly a lot use when bringing your cues along?
Hard side or duffel bag style?
This will be my 1st time flying with cues and I want to avoid the horror story of stolen cues.
Thanks,
Tim

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What type of luggage do you guys who fly a lot use when bringing your cues along?
Hard side or duffel bag style?
This will be my 1st time flying with cues and I want to avoid the horror story of stolen cues.
Thanks,
Tim

To avoid stolen/lost/damaged cues I have a travel setup I bring. Cheap butt with the same pin as shafts I like, along with a second or 3rd favorite shaft. Soft case and fit diagonally in my suitcase. If you are traveling for a big event and want your setup with you, you may want to ship it insured in advance to the place you are staying at. My travel cue is maybe $150 value, just a McDermott Lucky cue (for the 3/8x10 pin) and a Players HXT shaft. If I had my main cue(s), case and shafts, I would probably be too nervous and won't enjoy the trip LOL, losing about $2,000 worth of stuff that the airline may give you $200 for vs losing a cheap setup. It's not even the value loss but also if you a have a favorite custom cue and it's lost, there is no replacement for a favorite unique cue.

When I traveled with my son for Jr Nationals we had a duffel bag for his case and cues along with clothing around it or did the same thing with putting the case diagonally in a suitcase (assuming you have one large enough, our JB case barely fit in the suitcase, had to mush it in a bit).

Last edited:

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
When I travel with a cue I have a JB 1X2 case that I use. It fits nicely in a 34" duffel
that I have. If I feel like I must bring a breaker along I use a JB 2X3 which also fits in the
same bag. Those seem to do quite well holding case and clothing, or if I must I have a
couple of the cue case travel bags. If I use one of those they will hold the case and a
very limited amount of clothing. It all depends on what my needs are.
One of the better ideas I've seen at the airport on the luggage carousel is some players
will just take their normal playing case and get a cellophane wrap roller from UPS or
FedEx or one of those shipping stores, I believe I've seen them at Walmart too and
they sometimes wrap their case in bubble wrap before, but they will wrap their case in
cellophane. That looks like it works out really well.

Of course there have also been times that I have shown up without a cue and the full
intention of purchasing one when I got there. That seemed to work out pretty well for me too.
I love that phone call back home, "Honey, I forgot my cue, I'm gonna need one....."

Last edited:

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member
I bought an extra-long simple canvas duffel bag, long enough to fit my case, just for this purpose. I wrap my clothes around the case for extra cushioning. For short trips where I'm not packing that many clothes I've thrown a couple of towels in just for padding.

Scrunge19

Registered
I emailed JB to see if he’d make me a liner to fit inside a piece of 4” pvc pipe. Never heard back though.

darshan27

Darshan27
Another option is cheap (but sturdy vinyl) photography tripod bags. If you have a hard case like a 2 x 4 or 3 x 5, these will easily slip into one. Tie the top and it's set in place. I fly with my Josey cues in these and haven't had any trouble.

Online you can find these with a standard size of 36 x 7 x 4 inches for just under $20.

DelawareDogs

The Double Deuce…
Silver Member
To avoid stolen/lost/damaged cues I have a travel setup I bring. Cheap butt with the same pin as shafts I like, along with a second or 3rd favorite shaft. Soft case and fit diagonally in my suitcase. If you are traveling for a big event and want your setup with you, you may want to ship it insured in advance to the place you are staying at. My travel cue is maybe $150 value, just a McDermott Lucky cue (for the 3/8x10 pin) and a Players HXT shaft. If I had my main cue(s), case and shafts, I would probably be too nervous and won't enjoy the trip LOL, losing about $2,000 worth of stuff that the airline may give you $200 for vs losing a cheap setup. It's not even the value loss but also if you a have a favorite custom cue and it's lost, there is no replacement for a favorite unique cue.

When I traveled with my son for Jr Nationals we had a duffel bag for his case and cues along with clothing around it or did the same thing with putting the case diagonally in a suitcase (assuming you have one large enough, our JB case barely fit in the suitcase, had to mush it in a bit).

This raises a good question.

Say the airline loses your $150 setup. Can you just claim it was your $2,000 rig? You have proof of purchase of your custom rig and they have proof that you lost something...... right??

Chembry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bought a predator travel case, which they don't make any more. My 3x5 Instroke hard case fits very well inside there. It's made for a case to fit inside. I lock it up with a TSA approved lock. The zippers overlap, so you can lock it. The only people that have access to it will be TSA who have the universal key to unlock the TSA lock. You can get them at any Target, Walmart, etc... If you use any other lock than a TSA approved lock, you run the risk of them cutting your lock off. I have traveled with it several times and never had an issue. TSA requires you to check them as luggage, so the only real downside is you have to wait for your luggage.

It is similar to the longoni travel case:
https://www.ozonebilliards.com/product/longoni-travel-bag-for-cue-case

gogg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The hard case that Aramith makes for ball sets with the foam slotted for cues instead.
Locks, and is aluminum with reinforced corners.
So far, it has been awesome.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I do the same as this fellow- I have "travel cues" and I have high end customs that don't 'travel" via airline checked bag

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When we went to Vegas, the captain put all of our cue cases in a hard shell case for golf bags. It kind of put all of our eggs in one basket, but it's harder for the airline to lose something that big.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
This raises a good question.

Say the airline loses your $150 setup. Can you just claim it was your $2,000 rig? You have proof of purchase of your custom rig and they have proof that you lost something...... right??
If you have no moral compass that would keep you from doing that, I suggest there is probably more money to be made knocking over Salvation Army kettles around the holidays or maybe mugging old lady's as they leave the ATM.

Sent from the future.

Ipmtim

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the tips guys. I went with a rolling duffel bag to put my cue case in.
Also, I liked the idea of the TSA approved locks.
I think that it would be harder to steal a cue case stuffed in between my clothes than just snagging a separate case going through all the hands of airline employees.

painfullyslow

Registered
Had one of these to spare, cut the middle foam to fit the shape of my entire case. A bit of overkill but short of the plane crashing it guarantees that the cues will be unharmed.

Tons of extra room inside as well.

pelican-hard-gun-long-case-rifle-waterproof.jpg

Ipmtim

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Had one of these to spare, cut the middle foam to fit the shape of my entire case. A bit of overkill but short of the plane crashing it guarantees that the cues will be unharmed.

Tons of extra room inside as well.

pelican-hard-gun-long-case-rifle-waterproof.jpg

I have a few of these for my rifles.