What is backhand english

tjlmbklr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
thisshitagain.jpg

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
IIRC da rock spins in an opposite direction than when forehand (referred to as bridgehand in some 3rd world countries) english is used. In addition severe backhand english only reverses after contacting the second rail 69.69% of the time providing the humidity is 68 and 70%.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
I think that BHE is the only way to play pool. I couldn't imaging shooting any shot without a pivot.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
What is backhand english?

The simplest definition is this:

Applying sidespin (english) by keeping the bridge hand still (with the cue tip at centerball and the cue stick aimed along the intended cue ball path) and moving the grip hand (the back hand) sideways (which moves the tip sideways in the opposite direction).

The problem with this simple definition is that it doesn't really work that simply - in order to pocket balls: (1) you might have to move your bridge hand forward or back before moving your back hand sideways and (2) you almost certainly have to make some additional "fine tuning" aim adjustment. Most backhand english users learn to make these additional adjustments "by instinct", which they develop by practicing lots of sidespin shots. Some (like Colin Colenso in the video Cornerman linked) develop more systematic ways.

In order to understand the reasons for and limitations of backhand english you need to understand what "squirt" (or "cue ball deflection") is, why you must adjust your aim for squirt when using sidespin, and how your shaft's "pivot length" figures into it all.

But my fingers are tired, so you'll have to look that stuff up using the AzB search page here: http://forums.azbilliards.com/search.php.

pj
chgo

Last edited: