Where is Marlon Manalo?

Aaron_S

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After his success in the IPT, I fully expected him to become a mainstay in major tournaments. I see that he did win the 2008 Philippine National Championship, but it appears he hasn't done much for the last couple of years. Anyone know why this incredibly gifted player has seemingly left the scene?

Aaron

"CaliRed".

High Def Videos!!!
Silver Member
After his success in the IPT, I fully expected him to become a mainstay in major tournaments. I see that he did win the 2008 Philippine National Championship, but it appears he hasn't done much for the last couple of years. Anyone know why this incredibly gifted player has seemingly left the scene?

Aaron

I remember watching some of that back then too.... and thinking to myself, who is this Marlon dude? He was playing very strong and beating everyone. I was very impressed with him and you're right... never saw much again from him.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
He's still around and even played in the two big events in Manila a month ago. For whatever reason his game has slipped a notch. Now he is merely a very good player and no longer a great one. There really is a fine line in pool between greatness and just plain very good.

LAMas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Seems that he is playing for/in PI.

Marlon Manalo – RP cue artists stay in the hunt
March 4th, 2010 admin
Marlon Manalo – HANOVERDOUBLE world champion Ronnie Alcano and former Asian snooker titlist Marlon Manalo, and the tandem of Lee Van Corteza and Warren Kiamco, scored contrasting wins in the 8-ball event to keep the Philippines in the thick of the fight in the first World Pool-Billiard Association World Team Championship here.
Alcano and Manalo squeaked past their Norwegian foes, 6-5, while Corteza and Kiamco easily disposed of their rivals, 6-3, as the Philippines beat Norway, 4-2, to march into the quarterfinal round of this first-ever world team tournament. Alcano also ripped Vegar Kristiansen, 8-2, in the 9-ball competition, while Dennis Orcullo, one of the best bets of Bugsys Promotions of businessman/sportsman Perry Mariano, crushed Tommy Wolf, 7-1, in the 10-Ball event to clinch the tie for the Philippines.With the win, the Philippines joined Poland, Russia, Great Britain, China, Switzerland, Greece and Germany II in the next round. Matibay na kalaban talaga natin dito yung Great Britain and China, Mariano told Standard Today. Pero maganda ang tsansa natin. Puwede tayong mag-champion. Poland swept a Finland team led by reigning World 10-Ball champion and worlds no.1 player Mika Immonen, 4-0; Russia defeated Denmark, 4-2; Great Britain blanked host Germany beefed up by world champions Ralf Souquet and Thorsten Hohmann, 4-0; China crushed Serbia, 4-1; Switzerland ousted Japan, 4-1; Greece nipped the United States, 4-3; and Germany II edged Sweden, 4-3. Rey Joble Top

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
Last October I was at a tournament in Florida and Marlon was winning matches over Donnie Mills, Tony Crosby, and Corey Deuel. I would love to have my game slip a notch or two and still be able to do that.

:killingme:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Seen it many times in pro cycling. It is the EPO and testosterone and steroid 'programmes'. These guys come out of nowhere, win everything and then vanish.

Or not.

Aaron_S

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He's still around and even played in the two big events in Manila a month ago. For whatever reason his game has slipped a notch. Now he is merely a very good player and no longer a great one. There really is a fine line in pool between greatness and just plain very good.

Thanks Jay. Good to know he is still in the game. Perhaps he will work through his current difficulties and once again become a factor on the world stage. I would imagine the collapse of the IPT was a major blow to him, given his success in that format.

JohnPT

"Prove it!"
Silver Member
I think he is content with what he has accomplished in pool and wants to pursue other stuff...or at least that's the impression he left after watching Jim Murnak's interview of Marlon.

BarneyCalip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Marlon Call Me

Trying to make a living playing pool is almost impossible. On any given tournament anyone can win. You need a Sugar Daddy with lots of money to stay in the game. Daddy, does it for the love of the game, because he will never get his money back. You as the player must always be faithful to your Sugar Daddy. Marlon take care, Bernard

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
I think he is content with what he has accomplished in pool and wants to pursue other stuff...or at least that's the impression he left after watching Jim Murnak's interview of Marlon.

Sounds like he may be allot smarter than allot of his peers...priorities.

dabarbr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
During the IPT days Marlon was the best eight ball player. He proved to me that his patterns and decisions were not be be outdone by anyone. If the formats were a bit longer I believe he he would have won the whole thing. But the congratulations go to Efren.

kaduku

Just saw an investigative report segment here in Manila. While the reporters were doing their investigative reporting, guess who was one of the people they interviewed but Marlon Manalo.

It appears Marlon Manalo got into politics and became what's called a Barangay Captain in Barangay Malamig, Mandaluyong City, Manila.

I suppose that's why he's been out of the scene for a while. He's busy tending to his political responsibilities.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just saw an investigative report segment here in Manila. While the reporters were doing their investigative reporting, guess who was one of the people they interviewed but Marlon Manalo.

It appears Marlon Manalo got into politics and became what's called a Barangay Captain in Barangay Malamig, Mandaluyong City, Manila.

I suppose that's why he's been out of the scene for a while. He's busy tending to his political responsibilities.

Wow. Thanks for sharing!