Break Stats -- Accu-Stats "Make It Happen" 8-Ball Invitational, November 2014

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Break Stats -- Accu-Stats "Make It Happen" 8-Ball Invitational, November 2014

Here are some aggregate break statistics from the final 2 days of the 4-day Accu-Stats "Make It Happen" Invitational 8-Ball event played this week at Sandcastle Billiards in Edison, NJ with pay-per-view streaming by Accu-Stats.

The conditions for this 6-player round-robin 8-Ball event included: Diamond 9-foot table with regular pro-cut pockets, Simonis 860 blue cloth, Aramith Tournament balls, measles cue ball, referee racks using an Accu-Rack SOLO template, alternate breaks, break from anywhere behind the line, call shots, foul on all balls, table open after the break, ball in hand behind the line after a foul on the break, making an 8-ball on the break counts as a win, 90-second time clock after the break, and 45-second time clock on other shots (one extension allowed per game).

The 7 matches played these 2 days (117 games), amounting to 47% of the event total of 15 matches, were as follows.

Sat., Nov. 8
F. Bustamante def. A. Pagulayan 10-5​
E. Strickland d. M. Immonen 10-6​
F. Bustamante d. S. Van Boening 10-7​
D. Appleton d. M. Immonen 10-6​
Sun. Nov. 9
A. Pagulayan d. M. Immonen 10-7​
F. Bustamante d. E. Strickland 10-9​
D. Appleton d. S. Van Boening 10-7​

Overall results -- The breaker made at least one ball and did not foul 73% of the time (85 of 117), won 61% of the games (71 of 117), and broke and ran 50% of the games (59 of 117).

Here's a more detailed breakdown of the 117 games.

Breaker made at least one ball and did not foul:
Breaker won the game: 64 (55% of the 117 games)​
Breaker lost the game: 21 (18%)​
Breaker fouled on the break:
Breaker won the game: 3 (3%)​
Breaker lost the game: 7 (6%)​
Breaker broke dry (without fouling):
Breaker won the game: 4 (3%)​
Breaker lost the game: 18 (15%)​
Therefore, whereas the breaker won 61% (71) of all 117 games,​
He won 75% (64 of 85) of the games in which he made at least one ball on the break and did not foul.​
He won 30% (3 of 10) of the games in which he fouled on the break.​
He won 18% (4 of 22) of the games in which he broke dry but did not foul.​
He won 22% (7 of 32) of the games in which he either fouled on the break or broke dry without fouling.​

Break-and-run games: 59 of the 117 games (50%) were won by break and run. 59 of the 71 games (83%) that were won by the breaker were won by break and run. With alternating breaks, B&R "packages" of the normal type are not possible. But we can still look at the breaks of a given player and see how many he ran on his own successive breaks, and we can call these "alternate-break packages." The 59 break-and-run games consisted of 1 alternate-break 7-pack (by Strickland), 2 alternate-break 4-packs (both by Appleton), 2 alternate-break 3-packs (both by Strickland), 10 alternate-break 2-packs, and 18 singles.

8-balls on the break: The 59 break-and-run games included 2 8-balls made on the break (1.7% of all 117 breaks).

Last edited:

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Miscellany from the data for the 2014 Accu-Stats "Make It Happen" 8-Ball Invitational
[Reminder -- this relates only to the 7 streamed matches on Saturday and Sunday, not all 15 matches in the event.]

• The most balls made on a single break was four -- once each by Immonen, Van Boening, and Bustamante.

• The average number of balls made on the break was 1.3 (this includes dry and fouled breaks). Excluding dry breaks, the average was 1.7.

• Following the 10 breaking fouls, the incoming player ran out the game in his first inning 7 times (70%). The breaker won on his second or third inning the other 3 times.

• The losers won an average of 6.7 games in these races to 10. Only one of the matches went hill/hill. [Note: for all 15 matches in the event, the loser won an average of 7.4 games and 4 matches went hill/hill.]

• The average elapsed time for the 7 races to 10 was 91 minutes, or 5.4 minutes per game. The elapsed time was measured from the lag until the winning ball was made (or conceded), so it includes time for racking and breaks (time-outs).

• No game went beyond 3 innings and only 2 of the 117 games went to the 3rd inning. 50% of the games were break and runs, and 34% were run out by the non-breaker in his first inning. For each number of innings, the following shows how many games were won by the breaker in that number of innings, how many games were won by the non-breaker in that number of innings, the sum of those two numbers, and the percentage of the 117 games that were won in that number of innings.

1 inning -- 59 + 40 = 99 (85%)​
2 innings -- 10 + 6 = 16 (14%)​
3 innings -- 2 + 0 = 2 (2%)​

• Here are the "stay-at-table" break results (made at least one ball on the break and did not foul) for each player in the 7 matches. Bustamante and Immonen appeared in 3 of the matches, the other 4 players each appeared in 2 of the matches.

Appleton -- 14 of 17 (82%)​
Van Boening -- 14 of 17 (82%)​
Bustamante -- 20 of 25 (80%)​
Strickland -- 13 of 18 (72%)​
Immonen -- 15 of 25 (60%)​
Pagulayan -- 9 of 15 (60%)​
Total -- 85 of 117 (73%)​

Last edited:

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here are the break-and-run results for each player in the 7 matches -- made at least one ball on the break, did not foul, and ran out the game.

Bustamante and Immonen appeared in 3 of the matches, the other 4 players each appeared in 2 of the matches.

Strickland -- 13 of 18 (72%)​
Appleton -- 11 of 17 (65%)​
Van Boening -- 9 of 17 (53%)​
Bustamante -- 12 of 25 (48%)​
Pagulayan -- 6 of 15 (40%)​
Immonen -- 8 of 25 (32%)​
Total -- 59 of 117 (50%)​

And here are the results for break and run on successful breaks. That is, how often did they run out the game if the break was "successful" (made at least one ball and did not foul)?

Strickland -- 13 of 13 (100%)​
Appleton -- 11 of 14 (79%)​
Pagulayan -- 6 of 9 (67%)​
Van Boening -- 9 of 14 (64%)​
Bustamante -- 12 of 20 (60%)​
Immonen -- 8 of 15 (53%)​
Total -- 59 of 85 (69%)​

Last edited:

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Great job, results show that alternate format is suitable for 8ball.

I agree. And we still saw win streaks: Appleton won 7 games in a row against Immonen, Immonen won 6 in a row against Pagulayan, Strickland won 6 in a row against Bustamante, Pagulayan won 5 in a row (twice) against Immonen.

And as for break-and-run packages, Strickland had a 7-pack (7 in a row on his own, alternating break).

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
Yeah I'll say that pro 8 ball with alternate break is the format of pool I most enjoy watching. There is agressive play, some tactical play but not too much, running out, exchanging games, lots of pressure to break and run out, skilled pattern play, bumping balls. Wish there were more tournaments in that format.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Final results for all 15 matches in the event, in case you missed it elsewhere:

Match Records (the ones that determined the money prizes)

Appleton -- 5-0​
Bustamante -- 3-2​
Strickland -- 3-2​
Pagulayan -- 2-3​
Van Boening -- 1-4​
Immonen -- 1-4​

Game Records

Appleton -- 50-35 (59%)​
Bustamante -- 48-41 (54%)​
Strickland -- 45-42 (52%)​
Pagulayan -- 40-46 (47%)​
Van Boening -- 41-48 (46%)​
Immonen -- 37-49 (43%)​

Last edited:

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This one is amazing.....

No game went beyond 3 innings and only 2 of the 117 games went to the 3rd inning.

The talent level was off the charts.

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah I'll say that pro 8 ball with alternate break is the format of pool I most enjoy watching. There is agressive play, some tactical play but not too much, running out, exchanging games, lots of pressure to break and run out, skilled pattern play, bumping balls. Wish there were more tournaments in that format.

And the safety battles only last one inning, not continuous kick safes (which are impressive on their merit but do bog down a flow of a match).
This tournament flew by. Perfect coupling of advanced skill meets offensive minded discipline. Not at all dependent on the rack, that entire issue was nullified by the accu rack. Even earl didn't have anything to say about it.

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
And, that at the top level, 8 Ball is a bit easier than 9 ball. At least, in terms of break & run percentages.

Eric

I would agree with this, but I think there is another factor at work as well. In 8 ball the pros know that unless the balls are in terrible shape playing a lockup safety is more risky than trying to run a tough layout. It's simply too risky in 8 ball to let the other guy to the table even on a safe. As such the players, at least from what I observed, are more willing to take out tough outs playing 8 ball because of this risk reward balance which results in more run outs.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
This one is amazing.....

No game went beyond 3 innings and only 2 of the 117 games went to the 3rd inning.

The talent level was off the charts.

Yes, indeed. And, you may remember, the CSI 8-Ball Championship back in July had play that was at least as good as the Accu-Stats event. 88% of the streamed games (192 of 218) in the CSI event ended in one inning and only 3 games made it to a third inning. Three players in that event had "perfect" matches:

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=370518

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=370576

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
And the safety battles only last one inning, not continuous kick safes (which are impressive on their merit but do bog down a flow of a match).
This tournament flew by. Perfect coupling of advanced skill meets offensive minded discipline. Not at all dependent on the rack, that entire issue was nullified by the accu rack. Even earl didn't have anything to say about it.

Safeties?

• 8 in 218 streamed games at the CSI Invitational 8-Ball event back in July -- about once every 27 games.

• 5 in 117 games I watched at the Accu-Stats "Make It Happen" 8-Ball Invitational -- about once every 23 games.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I would agree with this, but I think there is another factor at work as well. In 8 ball the pros know that unless the balls are in terrible shape playing a lockup safety is more risky than trying to run a tough layout. It's simply too risky in 8 ball to let the other guy to the table even on a safe. As such the players, at least from what I observed, are more willing to take out tough outs playing 8 ball because of this risk reward balance which results in more run outs.

I agree. And another factor is that position play is so much better for the pros than for most amateurs. The need for a safety is less for the pros.

Eric.

Club a member
Silver Member

Agreed. That, and having multiple ball choices/patterns too.

From what I've seen, the reason why most games are under 2 innings is that if player 1 doesnt run out, player 2 does. Safeties are far fewer than in a rotation game.

Eric

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
For anybody wondering where all Earl's Open and World titles came from....
....when he made a ball on the break and did not foul.....
...he ran out 100%.....13 times out of 13.....and well past his prime.

Earl may have another title in him

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member
In 8 ball ... unless the balls are in terrible shape playing a lockup safety is more risky than trying to run a tough layout. It's simply too risky in 8 ball to let the other guy to the table even on a safe.

This is a point I've often argued (I agree with your side of it) with league players. If you successfully execute a run out you know you're going to win. If you successfully execute a safety you don't know what's going to happen; it depends on your opponent's skill and also luck. You have to be aware of these facts and take them into account to play your best 8-ball.

-Andrew

GideonF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Unlike others, I don't keep stats, but his performance on the other two days was not *quite* as impressive. He did make a few mistakes. Still one hell of a talent, that's for sure.

Interesting question is whether he can keep the focus for a long run for another major. Not saying he can't, just interesting to see that he and Django both had great runs at the Open but ran out of steam at the end.

Gideon<-----Earl is a hell of a player, age be damned.

Sloppy Pockets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

100% of the time! That is an incredible statistic to put up for any sport, anywhere and at any time.

Sloppy Pockets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree. And we still saw win streaks: Appleton won 7 games in a row against Immonen, Immonen won 6 in a row against Pagulayan, Strickland won 6 in a row against Bustamante, Pagulayan won 5 in a row (twice) against Immonen.

And as for break-and-run packages, Strickland had a 7-pack (7 in a row on his own, alternating break).

Gee, I wish you had the stats for the entire event (not that we're not extremely grateful for what you were able to provide). There were winning streaks in just about all of the 15 matches played.

This weren't no break and run fest like many might have predicted. Daz had a 7-game streak against Bustie as well as against Mika, and that after he was down 4-0. To me it shows that, even at the highest level, alternate break works for 8-ball.