Question about maple burl

9BallKY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Since there have been some threads about burls lately I was just wondering if maple burl
is used in cue building much? I'm not a cuemaker nor do I want to be but the reason I ask is because I have a huge maple behind my house that has a nice burl about 30 ft up

bdcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Since there have been some threads about burls lately I was just wondering if maple burl
is used in cue building much? I'm not a cuemaker nor do I want to be but the reason I ask is because I have a huge maple behind my house that has a nice burl about 30 ft up

Yes, it is used and becoming quite rare as are the very big Western Big Leaf Maple trees.

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
There's a big difference between the maples. Out west they have big leaf, which is soft. Then they have canyon maple, big tooth maple, and rocky mountain maple, all of which are hard maples. In the east the hard maples consist of numerous sub-species of sugar maple, which are hard, and some soft maples like red & silver. Maple of some variety grows in pretty much every continental state, and all can have burls.

The question is which type of tree you have, and what type of burl does it have? Some burls will be nothing but a bulbous growth, no extraordinary grain to speak of. Some will have densely arranged knots(eyes). Others will have wrinkled up, bubbly grain. A burl can have a variety of any or all of these features, plus have colors from an entire spectrum. I'd assume you live in Kentucky, and since the tree is in your yard I would guess it's sugar, red, or silver. A picture of the tree and a clear picture of the burl, with description of size, would help a lot in determining whether it's worth looking into or best to just leave it be. Since it's in your yard, it's probably best off where it's at.

9BallKY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There's a big difference between the maples. Out west they have big leaf, which is soft. Then they have canyon maple, big tooth maple, and rocky mountain maple, all of which are hard maples. In the east the hard maples consist of numerous sub-species of sugar maple, which are hard, and some soft maples like red & silver. Maple of some variety grows in pretty much every continental state, and all can have burls.

The question is which type of tree you have, and what type of burl does it have? Some burls will be nothing but a bulbous growth, no extraordinary grain to speak of. Some will have densely arranged knots(eyes). Others will have wrinkled up, bubbly grain. A burl can have a variety of any or all of these features, plus have colors from an entire spectrum. I'd assume you live in Kentucky, and since the tree is in your yard I would guess it's sugar, red, or silver. A picture of the tree and a clear picture of the burl, with description of size, would help a lot in determining whether it's worth looking into or best to just leave it be. Since it's in your yard, it's probably best off where it's at.

Thanks for the replies and yes I live in KY and I'm pretty sure it's a sugar maple. It's actually located at the edge of the woods behind my house. Like I said in earlier post I'm not a cuemaker so it's of no benefit to me I was just curious. Plus I know maple is a common species so it's not rare enough to be of any value.

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
Value would depend on size & quality. If it's large, solid, and good figure, it could be worth a bit.

9BallKY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Value would depend on size & quality. If it's large, solid, and good figure, it could be worth a bit.

Here is a picture
picture.php

9BallKY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Forgive my picture posting abilities but I believe this would be considered another burl on
the trunk of the tree
picture.php

9BallKY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's showing up when I log in on my phone. I'll try try and fix it in the morning