Do you want to improve your aim? Buy a chalk holder!

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
Very simple piece of advice here: Buy a magnetic chalk holder, or one of those APA pocket chalker thingys. The problem with keeping the chalk on the table is that people are lazy, or get stressed sometimes in critical moments. Picking up the chalk from the table puts you too close to the table to get a full view and may disturb your psr. Keeping the chalk in the pocket is also possible. I don't like it because I have to wear dress slacs in tournaments and the chalk stains them. Also it creates fumbling, which puts me off, concentration vise. I want every movement to be necessary and simple.

The best thing is to chalk up standing some distance from the table, put the chalk in the holder and then step into the line and shoot.

Lots of people don't even step into the shot, they sort of slide sideways. Or they step back, then realize they haven't chalked their tip, then pick it up from the table and then step sort of lazily or sloppily back and just shoot. Sometimes that will work, but it doesn't give the consistency needed. Always look at the shotline from a certain distance away. Always go down on the line the same exact way. When you have your chalk on you, you don't have to step back to the table to pick it up, so nothing can interfere with your routine. Also you get the same view every time, which helps build a "database" of shot pictures.

If you go to ANY instructor, especially snooker ones, the first things they'll tell you is to step into the line of the shot. Yet you'd be surprised at how sloppy people are with this. Even GREAT players, but why not give yourself every advantage? Here is a video by Lee Brett on this topic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYRygaWcJp8&t=139s
All the things he's saying are correct, but to me he's so high-energy and fidgety, so it's hard to get a good view of how it's supposed to go. I belive slow, steady, simple movements help calm me (and possibly you) down. I combine that with calm breathing.

Last edited:

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Old timer pool shooters merely curled the chalk under their middle finger (if they primarily used an open bridge).
Some said it added stability to the bridge. I don't know about all that, but it's a simple way to hold the chalk. And it's always right there after every shot and not on the rail.
How it could help aiming escapes me...but I'm not all that great anyway.
No need to buy a magnetic chalk holder or any other holder.
(might be a good idea to buy a new glove instead of hanging on to this ragged thing I have)
Pool Chalk in hand.jpg

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Old timer pool shooters merely curled the chalk under their middle finger (if they primarily used an open bridge).

Yep, I got it from watching the older guys when I was a kid. I copied them until Tweeten changed the labels on master chalk to the glossy paper. When the new labels get warm, the glue softens and the label moves, edges peel up etc, then you end up with sticky glue residue on your fingers.

The old paper wrappers stayed sealed, and I liked the way the red would be worn off until the wrapper was frayed and mostly white.

Everybody buys pre-flag master chalk, thinking it was a different and somehow better formula. Ive thought about biting the bullet and buying a gross just for the wrappers. But I cant give into the idea of paying stupid prices just for that. :thumbup:

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
One advantage of not doing this is it requires the player to walk around the table more in search of chalk.
This is good for one's game, as it allows the player to see the various angles and perspectives that might
not be seen standing in one spot.

One trick I used to do when I didn't carry my chalk, was to remove all but one piece of chalk so I was forced
to move about more. This removes silly excuses for not walking around the table: know-it-all-already, too
tired, too lazy, tip's ok now, etc. etc.

I get the concept of having convenient chalk and agree with it, but if you don't carry it, remember: no more
than 2 cubes on the table!

Jeff Livingston