Meucci trivia game

jayman

Hi Mom!
Gold Member
Silver Member
So I have this cue listed in the for sale section, It is one of the earlier ones that Bob did some experimenting with.If you are a cue maker you have probably come across this and will know right away. Can you spot it? It's an 84-01 if that helps.

84-01 full.jpg

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
So I have this cue listed in the for sale section, It is one of the earlier ones that Bob did some experimenting with.If you are a cue maker you have probably come across this and will know right away. Can you spot it? It's an 84-01 if that helps.

View attachment 506516

What is bondo under the wrap? Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

jayman

Hi Mom!
Gold Member
Silver Member
What is bondo under the wrap? Lol

Yes indeed! Bob Meucci experimented with screwing balance weights in under the wrap to get the balance point he wanted, then smoothed them over with bondo. It's been a while since I've seen one.

cue fix

Will "MONSOON" & SEARING!
Silver Member
Yes indeed! Bob Meucci experimented with screwing balance weights in under the wrap to get the balance point he wanted, then smoothed them over with bondo. It's been a while since I've seen one.

I had several old brunswick cues that were done that way only I don't recall the bondo.

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
I had several old brunswick cues that were done that way only I don't recall the bondo.

That’s because they installed them through the rear and plugged them instead of the sides.....which is Hackery

cue fix

Will "MONSOON" & SEARING!
Silver Member
That’s because they installed them through the rear and plugged them instead of the sides.....which is Hackery

Not sure what you mean by the rear. The ones I am talking about are under the wrap.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Interesting post.

The way you put it, whatever it is must be grossly obvious.

I have looked at that cue several times and nothing jumps out. It all looks like standard Meucci to me.

If you are a cue maker you have probably come across this and will know right away

Cue maker?

Something that might have needed repaired?

I don't know. :frown::(:confused:

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I can't blow up the photo to see for sure, but it looks like a groove was cut in the butt plate which says it was a second quality cue.

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
I don’t think I’m the only one scratching my head here.....

Maybe I’ll be impressed this time but I ain’t giving hopes up on ole Bob

jayman

Hi Mom!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Interesting post.

The way you put it, whatever it is must be grossly obvious.

I have looked at that cue several times and nothing jumps out. It all looks like standard Meucci to me.

Cue maker?

Something that might have needed repaired?

I don't know. :frown::(:confused:

It's very subtle it is just as it was when it was made.In fact this one was hardly ever used so it in fantastic original condition. Bob was or is always thinking and trying new ideas.This one represents one of his methods that he used briefly to find the perfect balance point for his cues. most people who have them probably have no idea that is was made this way. If you have re wrapped an earlier M.O. you may have seen it before. there aren't that many of them around so it's kind of fun to spot one.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Balance point?

Interesting.

Subtle.

Can tell with wrap off.

Is the wrap a little higher up than usual? A joint in a different location?

Just a guess.

Second thought is unusual butt taper?

jayman

Hi Mom!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Balance point?

Interesting.

Subtle.

Can tell with wrap off.

Is the wrap a little higher up than usual? A joint in a different location?

Just a guess.

Second thought is unusual butt taper?

Instead of just screwing in a bolt into the back, He picked certain points oblong the grip area where he wanted a bit of weight then threaded in a small weight in just the spot he felt would be best coming in from the side across the handle area, then covered the weight with a tiny bit of filler (bondo) so as to move the balance some what more to the front than just a rear bolt while maintaining the proper over all weight of the cue.
the butt rolls perfectly straight since the weights were counter sunk and smoothed over.

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
Instead of just screwing in a bolt into the back, He picked certain points oblong the grip area where he wanted a bit of weight then threaded in a small weight in just the spot he felt would be best coming in from the side across the handle area, then covered the weight with a tiny bit of filler (bondo) so as to move the balance some what more to the front than just a rear bolt while maintaining the proper over all weight of the cue.

the butt rolls perfectly straight since the weights were counter sunk and smoothed over.

Why do you think they started clear coating over the wraps?

Again This is hackery....always was known as such, and they continued to do that in later cues as well past the “original” timeframe.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Sunchaser

Belgian Malinois
Silver Member
Interesting. And now that I know, I still can't tell that from the photo. I have a two point M.O. I could butcher to find out...or just sell it and forget about it.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

OK.

But that was already guessed and I thought you said it was something else.

That's why I was still scratching my head.

We know about that, it's pretty well known. Sometimes you can see it through the wrap and finish. I thought it was something we could spot in the picture? In this case I can't see it.

Last edited: