The new Aramith tournament balls

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
I mixed them up a few times while I was watching, just for a second. Stupid things lol. I don’t like them at all myself. They all seem darker and it’s just not a good contrast with the cloth, in my humble opinion.

mdavis228

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Was a time the quality on televised pool was genuinely poor. Updated ball sets/colors did diddly to change that. It was then just tough to tell the difference between DIFFERENT different colors.
Now everybody walks around with cameras in their cell phones that'll let you count hairs on a fly's ass.
Exactly where do we decide we need to screw around with ball colors?

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Sadly, it is the end of the world.

Respectfully,

Boxcar

79162B25-7294-44B7-BB16-FBF1A4CC6CD6.jpeg

In the last days
The five ball will become purple
And the shafts will be as black as coal

It has been written

Boxcar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No one living knows much about the River Styx, but it has been told that on the night before the first match of the 2019 Mosconi Cup, Aramith paid passage to Charon for its own crossing with their new oddly colored balls.

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
“Beauty is in the eye of the beholder”- which pairs nicely with “Someone has to love the ugly ones.”

Better ugly balls than ugly belles.

~ K.

Boxcar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What we are witnessing is an industry in free fall, indeed, an industry which has sold its soul to Mephistopheles.

"The girls all get prettier at closing time
They all begin to look like movie stars
The girls all get prettier at closing time
When the change starts taking place
It puts a glow on every face
Of the falling angels of the back street bars."

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
IMO there is an art to televising a pool match and a great production I have yet to see. With the camera technology that we have today (and for the last fifteen to twenty years) there is no reason that we can't see EVERY ball clearly. There is a rhythm to a game of pool that revolves around a player stalking the table preparing to shoot the next shot and the actual execution of the shot. There is absolutely no reason why during that first phase (typically 15-30 seconds) a good director could not have cameras zooming in on the balls, especially the ones that the player will be shooting at next or the problem balls that lay ahead. The uninformed directors tend to lean on the overhead camera, which doesn't help in differentiating the balls, when they are uncertain about what will happen next. IMO there is no real need for an overhead camera in televising pool. It does not add anything to the show and in some ways diminishes it.

I have seen this in my head while watching the matches and how easy it would be to do. Often while doing commentary, I've thought "zoom in, zoom in," but it isn't my place to speak to the director. It would take a director who is knowledgeable about pool and not just about television production. Pat Fleming and Accu-Stats come closest to achieving this in some of their shows, but more by accident than design.

Last edited:

Boxcar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The battle for the souls of the young has been lost. No matter what color Aramith paints their balls, the heroes of tomorrow have already been enslaved by the sensual allure of video games and face book accounts. They are gone and no camera angle in the world will ever bring them back.

This is little more than a replay of Fonzie jumping the shark. How lame can they get?
As luck would have it, the worst is yet to come. In time, the Social Justice Warriors will merge with The LGBTQ Community, and even the haughty Simonis will be forced to come out with yet another color pallet, sensitive in every way to the delicate sensibilities of the "repressed." Tournament Fudge and Mosconi Posse Pink will be all the rage in certain Hollywood circles. I can see it all now, Rainbow colors for Liberation. Free at last. Ten NEW Magenta Diamond Bar Boxes for every Gay Bar, all with different, vibrant Simonis colors. Balls that glitter and glimmer and patrons frolicking in the acrid ganja haze. Action, oh, the action.

And we sit idly by. Classical tradition gone without the slightest whimper. Jesus wept.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
I couldn't follow the ball patterns on TV for the life of me. The lighting there was as ridiculous as the ball colors. The people who design balls, cloth and lighting should also consult pool players - what a joke.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The battle for the souls of the young has been lost. No matter what color Aramith paints their balls, the heroes of tomorrow have already been enslaved by the sensual allure of video games and face book accounts. They are gone and no camera angle in the world will ever bring them back.

This is little more than a replay of Fonzie jumping the shark. How lame can they get?
As luck would have it, the worst is yet to come. In time, the Social Justice Warriors will merge with The LGBTQ Community, and even the haughty Simonis will be forced to come out with yet another color pallet, sensitive in every way to the delicate sensibilities of the "repressed." Tournament Fudge and Mosconi Posse Pink will be all the rage in certain Hollywood circles. I can see it all now, Rainbow colors for Liberation. Free at last. Ten NEW Magenta Diamond Bar Boxes for every Gay Bar, all with different, vibrant Simonis colors. Balls that glitter and glimmer and patrons frolicking in the acrid ganja haze. Action, oh, the action.

And we sit idly by. Classical tradition gone without the slightest whimper. Jesus wept.

If putting rainbow color cloth on a gay bar table makes them happy, more power to them. I say...Whatever it takes to get people playing the game! Hell, they can have penis shaped pool cues if they want! Standard diameter shaft in white maple, oversize shaft in black! :)

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I couldn't follow the ball patterns on TV for the life of me. The lighting there was as ridiculous as the ball colors. The people who design balls, cloth and lighting should also consult pool players - what a joke.

Would it be better if they went back to the Tournament Green Simonis?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sadly, it is the end of the world.

Respectfully,

Boxcar
In the drama class in high school? Seriously, i hate the f&*king balls too but you can 86 the melodrama. Look, if we're lucky the only place we'll see these turds is in Matchroom events. I'm goin' out on a limb and will predict these don't sell all that well. There will be a flurry of sales to the "isn't change nice?" crowd but i just don't see these having a long lifespan.

BobTfromIL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If Matchroom thought these were such a good idea maybe it's time to change the colors of the snooker balls. Like to see how that would go over.

gdc25

I call 'em like I see 'em
Silver Member
From the perspective of a color blind player... I LIKE THEM!

I feel like they would even the field just a little for me, that is until my opponent learned the new color scheme.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
From the perspective of a color blind player... I LIKE THEM!

I feel like they would even the field just a little for me, that is until my opponent learned the new color scheme.

In the same vein...I’m betting on Stevie Wonder if they turn the lights off.

atlas333

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well said

IMO there is an art to televising a pool match and a great production I have yet to see. With the camera technology that we have today (and for the last fifteen to twenty years) there is no reason that we can't see EVERY ball clearly. There is a rhythm to a game of pool that revolves around a player stalking the table preparing to shoot the next shot and the actual execution of the shot. There is absolutely no reason why during that first phase (typically 15-30 seconds) a good director could not have cameras zooming in on the balls, especially the ones that the player will be shooting at next or the problem balls that lay ahead. The uninformed directors tend to lean on the overhead camera, which doesn't help in differentiating the balls, when they are uncertain about what will happen next. IMO there is no real need for an overhead camera in televising pool. It does not add anything to the show and in some ways diminishes it.

I have seen this in my head while watching the matches and how easy it would be to do. Often while doing commentary, I've thought "zoom in, zoom in," but it isn't my place to speak to the director. It would take a director who is knowledgeable about pool and not just about television production. Pat Fleming and Accu-Stats come closest to achieving this in some of their shows, but more by accident than design.

Thank you Jay for adding a knowledgeable voice to this topic. It would be an amazing thing to see a pool match broadcast effectively!!