1-ball: any row
2-ball: 4th row
3-ball: 4th row
4-ball: 2nd row

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are actually two college teams that changed their turf to bright blue and bright red lol and It’s hard to watch. Like seriously tough on the eyes.

Any day now, The NFL is going to change the color of astroturf to Passion Fruit Pink. The new Redskins jerseys will be Hershey Brown with lavender numbers. Contrast, Baby, contrast.

Google "jumping the shark."

Truth is, Helfert's written play-by-play was the best MC coverage money could buy. OOPS! It was FREE. And quick. And fun. And worth waiting for. And using my limited imagination, I could actually see the balls.

But, I digress. The only way pool is going to make it onto the Big Stage is with paying sponsors and middle class groupies, just like the old days. Changing the color of pool balls seems just a little bit "Junior High."

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I get them trying something different to get noticed their are more companies making balls now then before. 10 years a go either you bought centennials or super aramith pro’s . I have both sets and they sit in a box because right now I prefer the cyclops skittles balls lol I just think they missed the mark with the black and the over whelming response I’ve seen from social media and here is in agreement. As I said does that mean I’m not going to watch a tournament using them or not play in a pool hall that has them.. of course not. I’m not buying them for my home and the over whelming response is I’m not alone. I don’t think these colors will be around for long.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wonder what percentage of respondents have actually tried playing with these colors before passing judgment? I'm betting it's very low to almost non existent. I withhold my judgment until I have actually hit them around in the table. Isnt that the way its supposed to be?

I'm not saying I like them, not saying I don't. I haven't seen a game of 8 ball played with them yet, just 9 ball. If you have, post me a link so I can watch too.

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
I wonder what percentage of respondents have actually tried playing with these colors before passing judgment? I'm betting it's very low to almost non existent. I withhold my judgment until I have actually hit them around in the table. Isnt that the way its supposed to be?

I'm not saying I like them, not saying I don't. I haven't seen a game of 8 ball played with them yet, just 9 ball. If you have, post me a link so I can watch too.

Well, I can't speak for other people, but personally I was mostly commenting on their suitability for TV matches. They are confusing and ugly. That's the short version.

If you're playing at home or at the pool hall, who cares what the balls look like? You can have two 4's in different hues, where one is designated as the 5 because the 5 is missing. Over time, you'll get used to it. When Matchroom switched the color of the 4 and 5 that's close to that. People have no time to get used to the change and even if Matchroom stuck with these balls, it's still only used in their events. So 99% of events use a different color scheme and some of those are wildly different. That is actually better, because you then automatically will take a lot of time to scan the balls and probably won't be confused. The very worst thing is to take normal colors and change the order at a random point. To be honest, I was fooled twice by the color of the balls, and I'm used to playing with different sets. It's just that when you have limited time, you revert to what you're used to in terms of ball recognition.

The uglyness of using black instead of white for the stripes is a personal thing. Personally I think it looks bad, your opinion may differ. I'm not buying into the "harder to see edges" think, unless you're playing on very dark cloth, in which case, to be fair, you have it coming.

Last edited:

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
By the tone of your post, I'd guess that most of us are a lot more mature than you. Not our first rodeo, yadda, yadda, yadda...

Because we're more mature and thus more experienced, making decisions comes easy for us. It doesn't, as Minnie Pearl might say, "take us long to look a horseshoe."

In point, we have learned the difference between shit and sugar. We're a fairly quick study.

Face it, the balls are stone fugly. They'd have to sneak up on a glass of water to get a drink. They are not cool. They are not avant garde. They are not trending.

Yes, we'll stick with our traditional ball sets. We'll hand clean 'em, and dry 'em, and protect them like the old friends they are. We'll pass them down to our grand kids, who we will have taught to respect them, much in the same way we will have taught them to respect the traditions of a fine game that has, incidentally, been around a lot longer that TV.

Yes, you are right about our fellow man, particularly the mature ones. We are not slaves to fashion, we could care less. We are not entitled children. We actually know how to say No. And that is what we are doing now. No.

Respectfully,

Boxcar

Boxcar. With respect, sir. You’re a bad guesser. But have a little flair.

By you saying “...most of US are a lot more mature than you...” and so on, you surely must be referring to age - as in all of “us” (you) must be at least one or two generations older than I am - which puts you at either 75 or 95. Two generations that grew up during the greatest advancements in human history. Yet you hold onto quick judgements and calling out all you don’t like when you’ve never actually tried any of it. That type of mature, sir? Clay ball sets and the sort? I can dig that. I do the same now and then.

It’s easy to make what looks like a turd out of sugar these days. Because we can. The new generation.

If by (mature) you mean wiser....well, I’ll wager against that one. Over coffee and a game of anything you’d like, Boxcar, because wiser is not exemplified by passing judgement on shallow looks and social media - it’s having the wisdom to look behind the curtain when invited and asking questions like “what were they thinking when designing this new (blank) or that new policy or this new set of pool balls?”

No one makes a change for the worse. Change is made because someone believes they are improving things OR SIMPLY offering a new way. Not replacing. Side by side.

And sometimes those changes don’t work. Back to the ole drawing board as you older, more mature, wise owls call it. We men adventuring through the 21st century call it innovation. And we’ll keep working on it until the next big HIT. Like the Centennials. Which it seems everyone loves.

Too bad Brunswick won’t allow or ask Saluc/ARAMITH to simply reformulate their iconic design and use their Duramith technology for superior phenolics that ARAMITH uses in their Tournaments. Exact colors of course The new, modern Brunswick Centennials. For their 175th anniversary coming up. To pair with the new 175th anniversary celebration table. But wait. You’re a Diamond guy. Never mind

Lastly, Boxcar, I don’t THINK that anyone has labeled the Aramith Black ball set as cool or trendy. BUT...

AVANT-GARDE

au contraire.......now you’ve erred. Sir.

They definitely are avant-garde. By pure definition. New and unusual. An experimental idea that propels people and things ahead of their (the) times; cutting edge; innovative; and best of all......pushing the boundaries of what is accepted as the norm or the status quo - ESPECIALLY in the cultural realm.

Respectfully,

~ K.

There’s another view point to that situation...new kid on the job...with a college education..

...thinks he’s smarter than everybody....makes changes...finds out those changes had

tried long before he was born....and didn’t work.

ah, pt109

Those silly college kids.

I know that you know the great thing about those college kids that think they’re smarter.....they’ll keep at it until they actually get the changes right. Unstoppable.

And you will keep buying their new and improved.

Unless you’re still hitting clays with with sticks like ole boxcar.

~ K.

6607c70a14a1f68bc427898a30e7fcd9.jpg

Last edited:

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, I can't speak for other people, but personally I was mostly commenting on their suitability for TV matches. They are confusing and ugly. That's the short version.

If you're playing at home or at the pool hall, who cares what the balls look like? You can have two 4's in different hues, where one is designated as the 5 because the 5 is missing. Over time, you'll get used to it. When Matchroom switched the color of the 4 and 5 that's close to that. People have no time to get used to the change and even if Matchroom stuck with these balls, it's still only used in their events. So 99% of events use a different color scheme. To be honest, I was fooled twice by the color of the balls, and I'm used to playing with different sets. It's just that when you have limited time, you revert to what you're used to in terms of ball recognition.

The uglyness of using black instead of white for the stripes is a personal thing. Personally I think it looks bad, your opinion may differ. I'm not buying into the "harder to see edges" think, unless you're playing on very dark cloth, in which case, to be fair, you have it coming.

Agreed on all points, _99

Here’s a little proof to the contrast you speak of.

A quick experiment...

6ced22a673aa3c52117b25290ec2690e.plist
c2a270abee44b1f41612885148e88cc3.plist

~ K.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Considering that most complaints are about how they look, what does it matter how they play?

They're made by Aramith, so chances are good they play great.

But they are still ugly AF.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

ah, pt109

I know that you know the great thing about those college kids that think they’re smarter.....they’ll keep at it until they actually get the changes right. Unstoppable.

~ K.

A little deflection, perhaps?
I can live with the black for white...I like the new green.
And I like the new shade of purple.......
..but assigning the purple to another number, on a whim, is what I won’t deal with.

I’m all for change for the better.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Considering that most complaints are about how they look, what does it matter how they play?

They're made by Aramith, so chances are good they play great.

But they are still ugly AF.
Yep. Best thing about these turds is you will rarely see them. How many MR events are there? 3-4 at the most? No poolrooms are going to use them so unless you're at someone's house who has them the chances of using them are fairly slim. I predict these aren't going to be a big seller for Aramith.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Boxcar. With respect, sir. You’re a bad guesser. But have a little flair.

By you saying “...most of US are a lot more mature than you...” and so on, you surely must be referring to age - as in all of “us” (you) must be at least one or two generations older than I am - which puts you at either 75 or 95. Two generations that grew up during the greatest advancements in human history. Yet you hold onto quick judgements and calling out all you don’t like when you’ve never actually tried any of it. That type of mature, sir? Clay ball sets and the sort? I can dig that. I do the same now and then.

It’s easy to make what looks like a turd out of sugar these days. Because we can. The new generation.

If by (mature) you mean wiser....well, I’ll wager against that one. Over coffee and a game of anything you’d like, Boxcar, because wiser is not exemplified by passing judgement on shallow looks and social media - it’s having the wisdom to look behind the curtain when invited and asking questions like “what were they thinking when designing this new (blank) or that new policy or this new set of pool balls?”

No one makes a change for the worse. Change is made because someone believes they are improving things OR SIMPLY offering a new way. Not replacing. Side by side.

And sometimes those changes don’t work. Back to the ole drawing board as you older, more mature, wise owls call it. We men adventuring through the 21st century call it innovation. And we’ll keep working on it until the next big HIT. Like the Centennials. Which it seems everyone loves.

Too bad Brunswick won’t allow or ask Saluc/ARAMITH to simply reformulate their iconic design and use their Duramith technology for superior phenolics that ARAMITH uses in their Tournaments. Exact colors of course The new, modern Brunswick Centennials. For their 175th anniversary coming up. To pair with the new 175th anniversary celebration table. But wait. You’re a Diamond guy. Never mind

Lastly, Boxcar, I don’t THINK that anyone has labeled the Aramith Black ball set as cool or trendy. BUT...

AVANT-GARDE

au contraire.......now you’ve erred. Sir.

They definitely are avant-garde. By pure definition. New and unusual. An experimental idea that propels people and things ahead of their (the) times; cutting edge; innovative; and best of all......pushing the boundaries of what is accepted as the norm or the status quo - ESPECIALLY in the cultural realm.

Respectfully,

~ K.

ah, pt109

~ K.

OKay, okay, okay. But they're still butt ugly and hard to see on TV. :D

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OKay, okay, okay. But they're still butt ugly and hard to see on TV. :D
Totally agree Jay. That guy's artsy-fartsy replies are fairly humorous. Looks like he's been taking creative writing at the local junior college. How many pool players have you EVER heard use the term "au contraire and avant garde"?? Please. I guess we could all chip-in and get him a t-shirt that reads" I love Black balls". ;)

Boxcar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm starting to believe that we are largely in agreement that these new MR balls are ugly enough to back a buzzard off a gut truck, but...I must admit that I think the 13 ball may not be beyond redemption. It'd probably look OK if they just grow a little curly red hair around it.

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
The whole "TV-color" thing did have some merit at the time of analog and early digital video. If you watch this old Accu-Stats clip https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsCLcuLXlEM, you'll see the problem distinguishing between the 7 and 4. Some of the stripes also have the same problem. You could argue that the problem is even worse with the stripes. Accu-Stats did something I'm a bit surprised nobody copied, and that was making the 8 zebra colored, which vastly improved it's visibility. Had it been black, there would be even more confusion, again caused by the low quality in which video was often viewed back then. It's amazing how well the light colors stand out, in comparison with the darker ones, which is why the tv-set later lightned the colour of the 4 and 7 and their corresponding stripes and for low quality video, this really works.

The originals from Accu-stats were marvelous in visual quality, which can be clearly seen if you order their old matches on DVD or watch it with high quality streaming, it's just that most would watch on old VHS-players with uncleaned heads etc. If you had it on DVD and watched on a good tv or monitor, then the quality would be high enough that the "TV-colors" had little purpose.

Last edited:

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Totally agree Jay. That guy's artsy-fartsy replies are fairly humorous. Looks like he's been taking creative writing at the local junior college. How many pool players have you EVER heard use the term "au contraire and avant garde"?? Please. I guess we could all chip-in and get him a t-shirt that reads" I love Black balls". ;)

You guys are a hoot.

cjr3559

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It’s not the color of the balls on TV, it’s the commentators. We need more like Joe Wilson that could provide play by play AND color even when there was no color to be had.

As far as these new balls, they’re ugly and confusing. I don’t need to learn yet another set that fails in its own attempt to distinguish itself.

Just stick with the traditional colors. I don’t have any issue discerning them in 1080p. At least no more than pink, orange and red, or anything against anything in that horrible set with the light blue 7.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
You guys are a hoot.

I went to an antiquarian book show once...found a book I’d been looking for for years.
....when the people around me realized I’d bought it to read it...got a few smirks.
...they were principally collectors, not readers.
I think this is the case with our adversarial view points.

For me, the game as a player and a gambler, I want to read patterns...and quickly.
..and if my opponents or the players I’m betting against don’t see them as quickly...
...it’s a tell.
I don’t want to compete seriously with curios...billiards, chess, or cards.

The great Willie Mosconi was extremely gifted in pattern recognition....
...I feel he would be on my side in this debate.

And if we ever play chess, it will be only with Staunton pieces.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

It wouldn’t effect the way I play.. I just think they look like $hit lol

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I went to an antiquarian book show once...found a book I’d been looking for for years.

....when the people around me realized I’d bought it to read it...got a few smirks.

...they were principally collectors, not readers.

I think this is the case with our adversarial view points.

The great Willie Mosconi was extremely gifted in pattern recognition....

...I feel he would be on my side in this debate.

And if we ever play chess, it will be only with Staunton pieces.

You just had to recruit ole Willie into this one didn’t you?! And he would certainly be on your side.

Speaking of sides - just for the AZB record, I never did take sides in this whole Traditional vs Black ball set fun.....my crafty and wily approach is to share and offer possibilities. I happen to love every bit of the game and play 100’s of ball set designs and styles throughout a given year. Sure, I have my favorites. And, you can safely bet your gold coins, that my day to day favorite set is very CLOSE to traditional colors. No swapping numbers and colors.

I just can’t come to call any ball set fugly or turds. It isn’t in me

Chess, huh?

How about this one: we play CHESS on the table with a unique ball set while simultaneously playing Chess on the table-side board. While I’m on the table taking my one shot, you make your move on the board. And vice versa. A win win.

de22cb09276fc8d0e921471b4deb76aa.jpg

You bring the Staunton pieces. All I have is:

f14a8ded295ff81d3611744b41cfb8e0.jpg

~ K.