The Lion roars for the phillipines, not Canada

loco

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well I guess all those who said that Alex is Canadian and that is that are wrong, any idea why he has decided to rep pinoy pride instead of Canada? I think its the bet choice for his game just my opiniom though

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
loco said:
Well I guess all those who said that Alex is Canadian and that is that are wrong, any idea why he has decided to rep pinoy pride instead of Canada? I think its the bet choice for his game just my opiniom though

His heritage and playing style are Fillipino, which, to me, means we should count him as a Fillipino pool player. But let's not take anything away from the great country of Canada, in which Alex honed his skills.

Alex is aligning himself with the Phillipines for the same reason he'd align himself with Canada if he were an ice hockey player.

When it comes to competitive sports, nationality can be a difficult matter. In the Olympics just completed, there were some competitors representing countries they'd never even set foot in, apparently qualifying as citizens of those countries because their parents had been born there.

Schmohawk

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
loco said:

If i was the Canadian government, I would declare him to have renounced his citizenship and bar him from ever returning.

Last edited:

loco

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree that its best for Alex to play out of the phillipnes and with philipino players , its the best for him and his game, I have met Alex several times and he has nothing but praise for Canada, so as far as banning him from the country , what are you insane?

pooljunkie73

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Schmohawk said:
If i was the Canadian government, I would declare him to have renounced his citizenship and bar him from ever returning.

Why, because he has dual citizenship? The guy was born in the Phillipines and grew up in Canada, it's his choice where he wants to reside. The best thing for his pool game right now is playing with the best compitition he can find and right now that is in the Phillipines.

Kent Mc.

Renegade

Consume Mass Quantities!
Silver Member
The Philippines is a country wanting in local heroes and if Alex decided to pitch in, then we all would have to respect that. Canada has a lot going for it, with artists like Celine Dion, Alanis Morisette and Paul Schaffer. Heck, they even have Wolverine! hehe. While he admitted that Canada has been very good to him and his family, he believes he'd be appreciated more in a country sorely needing good news, which I'm sure he can provide once he represents the country in international events.
Still, the Philippines can't keep him (or Efren or Django) for themselves. They belong to the bigger world of billiards now and we all want a piece of them!

recoveryjones

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm a Canadian and I'm glad Alex won the WPC 2004 representing Canada. I'm equally happy to see him going to the Philipines to represent his country of birth.I think playing around the great players over there will do nothing but great things for his game.

Alex teamed up with X-world Snooker champion (Canadian) Cliff Thorburn while here playing in the Border Battle challenge against the USA.He also got activley involved in the game of snooker. I think his time spent here in Canada was very beneficial and educational for sure.The move to the Philipines is just the next step to enhancing his skills as a pool player.I wish him nothing but the best and hope he enjoys his time in the Philipines. RJ

hadjcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What I know is Alex was born in the Philippines and only migrated to Canada when he was a teen. Eventually he became a Canadian Citizen. I know he applied for dual citizenship which allows him to play for either country I suppose

parvus1202

Suspected hacked account
Silver Member
No argument really. Alex can represent both countries. But if they both entered in one tournament, I can't say which one he wants to wear the flag. Let's wait for next year's WPC, see if he will wear a Canadian or Philippine flag.

Last edited:

Top Spin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
With all respect to Alex, he can either be a small fish in a big pond, or a big fish in a smaller pond. He seems to have chosen to be a big fish and rightly so! In that regard, I think it is appropriate that he represent his native country. Unfortunately, Billiards of any sort in Canada gets precoius little regard...I'll bet 98 out of 100 people in this country don't even have a clue who Cliff Thorburn is..."The Lion" will do far better financially and otherwise to represent The Philippines. JMHO

crawler486

Registered
Top Spin said:
With all respect to Alex, he can either be a small fish in a big pond, or a big fish in a smaller pond. He seems to have chosen to be a big fish and rightly so! In that regard, I think it is appropriate that he represent his native country. Unfortunately, Billiards of any sort in Canada gets precoius little regard...I'll bet 98 out of 100 people in this country don't even have a clue who Cliff Thorburn is..."The Lion" will do far better financially and otherwise to represent The Philippines. JMHO

And being in a third world country, now in a financial crisis...WE NEED OUR HEROES

Registered
philippine flag

parvus1202 said:
No argument really. Alex can represent both countries. But if they both entered in one tournament, I can't say which one he wants to wear the flag. Let's wait for next year's WPC, see if he will wear a Canadian or Philippine flag.

he said in the interviews that he'll be representing phils next year in wpc. we'll see.

Muxy

Unleash The Fury
Silver Member
But I think you are a little harsh on Canada. You are comparing apples to oranges. Philippines is not as developed as Canada & do not have the different sports that Canada has. Yes, you are right a lot of Canadians would not recognize the name Alex Pagulayan. But they all know Wayne Gretzky, Bobby Hull, Gordie Howe, Rocket Richard & most would know Ferguson Jenkins and Larry Walker, and Mike Wier. Wonder how many Filipinos are hockey or baseball or golf stars in their home land.
Now about Alex. Yes, I agree he is way better off in Philippines with Puyat. But did you know that Alex moved to Hawaii before Christmas? He has not considered Canada home in awhile.
Canada has only been blessed with one other World Cue Sports Champion - Cliff Thorburn. Cliff was congratulated by gov't officials, appeared on Canadian talk shows, has the Order of Canada credit, Canadian Sports Hall of Famer, etc.... To my knowledge Alex has not been back in Canada since he won. How can Canada recognize him?
Don't get me wrong here. The Lion was great for Canadian pool. I am glad I got to know him a little. A great guy. He made a decision that will benefit him & his pool career. All the best. But please do not criticize Canada. If Alex chose to live here & he could have received as much recognition as Thorburn. Cliff's name is known from coast to coast.
One last thought. Do you think Strickland & Archer gets the same recognition in the USA as Michael Jordon, Larry Bird, Magic Johnson, Dan Marino, Mark McGuire, Barry Bonds, Mohammand Ali, etc... get? Probably not. Wonder if Strickland or Archer ever been invited to the White House? Betcha all the others that I listed have been there. Is that shame on USA? No.

This was posted on my provincial board and i thought it was a terrific point. all words up there are Steve C's ... i feel the exact way. as Steve does and thought i would post his post. JMO