Why are organizers and promoters so problematic?

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
There have been constant issues with organizers and promoters when it comes to delivering what they advertise.

Sometimes a person says the prize money will be on display and it is not.

Other times people say prize money is added but prize payouts are not distributed in full.

The worse times are when prize money is not even paid out at all.

Aside from what the players do, it seems like the billiards industry is plagued or suffers from chronic lapses in strong business practices by organizers or promoters.

The following idea is a stretch but it works in other industries. In order to reduce repetitive fiscal (money matters) irresponsibility, develop a system of bookkeeping or accounting so that all events are true to their word.

There is too much "well I came up short and need to move money from something else that is profitable to this money pit".

How the system would work is some governing body has obligations in order for its players to compete in certain events. And of those obligations one can be proof prize money or a prepared contingency plan to payout prize money on time if the event is not profitable.

Too much talk occurs about the players doing more, but the business end is where the problems are. And it seems the business entrepreneurs want the players to help ensure that their events are profitable in terms of attendance or promotional sales, really they are asking for a player tournament and a free promotional event.

The players put up their expenses and take their risks for decades now. The business people put up their expenses too, but too many problems happen when they do it their way. Eliminate their financial failures by implementing a system by a governing organization to trade player attendance for guaranteed payouts in full. I think if billiards is to survive the relationship between players and organizers and governors has to be strong and all parties must be protected.

As it is everyone is just hoping that what used to work will work again. And by work I mean what is profitable. A boost in new players and new talent would help the billiards industry but why would new players sign up to be told that prizes are more myth than reality. If the younger talents see the business is operating well a few might take a chance to stick around. But if its just disaster after disaster how many would want, by choice, knowingly begin a career in that industry.

In the past when players saw the money was there they came out. That ideal is still true today. But people have stories about when the money will change hands.

Last edited:

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
Businesses like organizers and promoters don't take enough risks, they always play it safe to protect their costs.

The problem isn't the players but the people that run the tournaments. The cheap people that think a pool tournament is not worth reinvesting in. They just think it is like the annual hot dog and cotton candy fair. At those annual fairs the expenses remain about the same but rarely does the organizer reinvest funds if any were made back into the event. Usually the organizers find ways to reduce the expenses of the event, for them it is an exercise in penny pinching.

Before the criticism mounts up about "what have I done for the sport" I will address it by saying I am thinking about it. I am thinking about what works and what doesn't work. I am not hoping for a big pay or dreaming of some magic tool or event or player that helps change the sport. I am thinking about where things went wrong.

Things began to go wrong I'd say when organizers failed to reinvest profits back into the sport. When I go to the big events and see the legendary players still working I think sure its great for the fans, but there should be new names so that the older guys can "enjoy a retirement." I am not saying they should retire I am just saying they should have an opportunity at some point in their career to work a different aspect other than playing and promoting.

The players have been worked to death in some cases, I think it is because there is no life after you become a pro player, there is little room to try different careers within the industry. Regardless of how bad the economy is people say it wasn't always this way. It seem at one point there was a golden age and people decided to blow the money or didn't know how to invest to ensure the billiards industry remains competitive and strong in tough times.

What I am interested in doing for the billiards industry is to understand what it is about. And right now it seems it is about helping organizers and promoters make money at the expense of players in exchange for the usual blood money.

Where can it go from there? A few players find someone to back them for a while and then what? The cycle starts over again somewhere else.

Last edited: