High straight pool run for women

rackmsuckr

Linda Carter - The QUEEN!
Silver Member
I watched a match between Jean Balukas and Ewa Mataya from 1987 and Jay Helfert was a commentator. I think it was he that mentioned that Jean had a high run of 135 balls back then. Does anyone know if Karen or Allison or Hsin Mei Liu or anyone else has run more? Did Jean break her own record?

Bobby

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As far as I know Jeanette Lee's 152 at Amsterdam Billiards is the highest run ever by a woman. I don't know of Fisher or Corr's highest runs. If I had to guess I'd say Jeanette Lee has more 100+ runs than any other female player ever. I daresay if the WPBA tour was straight pool instead of 9-ball Jeanette would be on top.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Bobby said:
As far as I know Jeanette Lee's 152 at Amsterdam Billiards is the highest run ever by a woman. I don't know of Fisher or Corr's highest runs. If I had to guess I'd say Jeanette Lee has more 100+ runs than any other female player ever. I daresay if the WPBA tour was straight pool instead of 9-ball Jeanette would be on top.

Jean B. had many runs over 100 balls. She was by far the best women player of her era. And probably the equal of Allison, Karen and Jeanette. I suspect she could still compete on the highest level if she so desired. But I doubt we will see her again. She appears to have no interest in playing competitive pool anymore.

hobokenapa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jen?

Jen, do you play Straight Pool at all? I thought your positional play when you took down Wilson two Thursdays ago was superb, and you looked to have what it takes to excel at Straight Pool.
Tim

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
As she ran them on me, I can vouch for Jeanette's run of 152 at Amsterdam Billiard Club. She has also run a 124 against Mika Immonen. I believe both runs occurred in 2002. Jeanette has run over 100 in my presence about six times. In the 1999 National Straight Pool championships in NYC, she was victorious over each of Dallas West, John Ervolino, and Jimmy Fusco, so it's no fluke. And, of course, Gene Nagy was her mentor, which speaks volumes.

Jean Balukas told me that her best ever run was 134, and further claimed that 134 was also legendary Ruth McGuiness' lifetime high run.

Of course, all these runs came in practice. Women's US Open 14.1 matches, for many years, were races to 75 up to the final, which was a race to 100.

rackmsuckr

Silver Member
Thank you all for your knowledge and replies. :) I knew there would be an authority or two on here for an answer.

Linda

mjantti

Enjoying life
Silver Member
I remember reading an article on BD on Loree Jon Jones and I think it was mentioned that LJJ has also a high run in the 150 vicinity. And I've heard that Jennifer Chen has a high run of 158 but this is unconfirmed, didn't find any info on this.

tom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
mjantti said:
And I've heard that Jennifer Chen has a high run of 158 but this is unconfirmed, didn't find any info on this.

Maybe Richard can confirm this...

excessknowledge

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jeanette's super impressive .I would think her capabilities have been able to exceed that 132 or 134 whatever it is.

meganite

Registered
women's high run..

I couldn't help getting intrigued by this thread- straight pool devotee that I am. I know that along with the tried and true 14:1 players like Jean and Jeanette, there are some other impressive straight pool-playing females like Line Kjorsvik, Helena Thornfeldt and Linda Haywood, for example. I would love to see, and have tried to collaborate with people on having, a women's straight pool world championship. Since 8-ball is so much in the spotlight right now, it seems only fitting.

BTW, does anyone know then, what the women's high run actually is, in competition or in practice? Jeanette's 150-something seems to be the best, correct? I only inquire because whatever it is, I intend to break it...

PROG8R

Gator Nation
Silver Member
high run for a woman?

OK, OK..

Lets say you have the best female player in the world, where does that put her in the over all.. 500 or 600th ranking against the men?

bud green

Dolley and Django
Silver Member
The ladies record is 68 (Ewa, in 1992) in the US Open. Someone (Loree?) ran 64 and then Ewa ran 68 in the same tourney.

Last edited:

rackmsuckr

Silver Member
PROG8R said:
OK, OK..

Lets say you have the best female player in the world, where does that put her in the over all.. 500 or 600th ranking against the men?

There are also 500-600 TIMES more men playing straight pool. That doesn't prove anything. Men are going to dominate pool in any form...there's more of them playing, they've been doing it longer, spend more time at it, and a lot of them usually need to subsist on the winnings. I would say there are 500-600 times more men that gamble at pool too, and the figure is even higher for those that have to make their living at it.

Tbeaux

Angelic Hotdog
Silver Member
meganite said:
BTW, does anyone know then, what the women's high run actually is, in competition or in practice? Jeanette's 150-something seems to be the best, correct? I only inquire because whatever it is, I intend to break it...

Go for it Megan! Looks like 158 is the high mentioned and it's probably wrong. Shot for 200+, can't miss that way. Maybe at the next WPBA player meeting you could ask about the WPBA sponsoring womens championships in a few other games?

Terry

Pete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
rackmsuckr said:
There are also 500-600 TIMES more men playing straight pool. That doesn't prove anything. Men are going to dominate pool in any form...there's more of them playing, they've been doing it longer, spend more time at it, and a lot of them usually need to subsist on the winnings. I would say there are 500-600 times more men that gamble at pool too, and the figure is even higher for those that have to make their living at it.

I don't want to start a fight or split hairs here, but I have a question about just part of your statement "they've been doing it longer, spend more time at it". I;ve heard this many many times, and still I wonder why people say that men have been playing longer then women, now yes in the history of billiards they have, but the players have played as long as they have played... Example, I've been playing pool for 4 years now, and I know competative players that have been playing (leagues) for 12 -15 years. Now they have been playing and competing far longer than me, but they still loose as often as the one that have played a year (well not always, I get spanked too).

So I guess what I'm saying is that to me seems a weak argument about why men may (and I truly mean may) be the better players.

Now if I am wrong here can you please explain to me how it truly comes into play. There are top player that are in their early 20s and they are far better than some that have been playing for over 20 years. That's why that is so darn confusing to me.

Thanks.

Pete

PROG8R

Gator Nation
Silver Member
for some reason men are just better overall

Don't want to split hairs either, but watching the women play pool (with the exception to the rule ((maybe 10 female players))) is like watching a bunch of B+ or A- level players play. Ga Young, Allison, and Karen are definitely the exceptions. After that you have Helena, Monica, Kelly, Janet, Gerda, and then the power curve falls off so fast its ridiculous.

What do you mean men have been doing it longer? Overall? sure, but then what? Karen and Allison have probably been playing pool as long as Corey D had been alive.
I don't get it, I may never get it, I am sure that the women can hit a cueball as hard as it ever has to be hit, so it isn't a power issue (unless it's the break), why are men so dominant over the women? Don't know, maybe it is because were born with a natural talent to play with balls and a stick?
:eek:

Tbeaux

Angelic Hotdog
Silver Member
Yeah I think Linda was only partly right. I think it also has a lot to do with the men constantly putting them (women) down and saying they're not as good and can't be. I wonder why the men do that?? I'm a man and I've never felt the need to downplay or degrade women in pool. It's a skills sport....anybody can do good.

Terry<JMHO FWIW