Silver Member
Does anyone use a spray wax like pledge on their shaft. Also curious about
spray car waxes

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
spray car waxes
I use either Rennaisance or Q-Wax. That's all. I don't think any Pledge products have actual wax in them. I wouldn't use any of them on a cue.

Last edited:

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use only old school maple shafts on my cues. My stroke is affected if I feel even the slightest bit of resistance from the shaft, yet my preference was always to play without a cue glove for maximum natural feeling of the stroke. However, after many years of trying every method and wax out there; I eventually gave up and surrendered to the cue glove. So I just keep my shafts perfectly clean and use the cue glove.
For me, playing without a cue glove; even with a clean,waxed shaft; at some point during a session either my bare hand or the shaft begins to offer some resistance ( sweat, humidity, table cloth dirt, etc.) and so in order to keep everything consistent for an entire session- I use the cue glove exclusively.

I clean mine up with rubbing alcohol then a barely moist paper towel and burnish the ever loving h-e-double hockey sticks out of it with parchment paper. I tried pledge, didn't see much results out of it.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I clean mine up with rubbing alcohol then a barely moist paper towel and burnish the ever loving h-e-double hockey sticks out of it with parchment paper. I tried pledge, didn't see much results out of it.
"H-E double hockey sticks"???????? What, are you five? ;)

slach

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use just a couple drops of Rain-X (for car windshields) on a paper towel, burnished into the shaft briskly until it heats up. Makes it very slick and a nice shine. I've also used parchment paper rubbed in briskly, works good too.

Not sure what Rain-X contains but I suspect there's silicon, pretty sure parchment paper has silicon.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
spray car waxes

Not on the shaft but long ago I did use it on the butt of my first cue:

(insert flashback music)

My first cue was a carefully considered investment I made one day after another of my runs through the sporting goods department of The Emporium, a glorious downtown department store on Market Street, right across from the cable car turn platform. The store was a throwback to San Francisco’s post earthquake glory days, with its huge glass dome, and was the place my family purchased a good many of our necessities over the years.

I saw The Cue that became the object of my lust displayed in a glass case there. The first time I saw it I couldn’t take my eyes off of it. And, with every passing visit, my desire grew and grew until it could not be denied. Somehow I scrimped and saved the $29.00 ransom the store wanted for the cue -- with its own faux leather luggage-style case, with red flocked interior, which I personally felt showed the cue to its best advantage -- and sealed the deal one memorable weekend.

The Cue was a transcendent thing of beauty: polished brass joint; rich polyurethaned walnut forearm; red and black specked nylon wrap (genuine); and a butt plate of iridescent multicolored rings. I thought my Mom and Dad were going to kill me when they found out I had squandered most of my meager funds on “a pool cue?!” and I suffered some withering words, offered in fatherly counsel, about “wasting” my money. But I did not care. It was worth it all.

I remember frequently locking myself in my room and lovingly wiping down the forearm of The Cue, using several paper towels and much of my Mom’s can of Pledge. To this day, like catching the wafting scent of a perfume favored by an old flame, a whiff of lemon-scented Pledge still reminds me of that cue and our first summer together. After a few months I came to realize that the black luggage-style case (with red flocked interior) made my look of aspiring hustler somewhat less than credible and I switched over to a soft plain black zippered case.

Man, I loved that cue.

Lou Figueroa

haystj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not on the shaft but long ago I did use it on the butt of my first cue:

(insert flashback music)

My first cue was a carefully considered investment I made one day after another of my runs through the sporting goods department of The Emporium, a glorious downtown department store on Market Street, right across from the cable car turn platform. The store was a throwback to San Francisco’s post earthquake glory days, with its huge glass dome, and was the place my family purchased a good many of our necessities over the years.

I saw The Cue that became the object of my lust displayed in a glass case there. The first time I saw it I couldn’t take my eyes off of it. And, with every passing visit, my desire grew and grew until it could not be denied. Somehow I scrimped and saved the $29.00 ransom the store wanted for the cue -- with its own faux leather luggage-style case, with red flocked interior, which I personally felt showed the cue to its best advantage -- and sealed the deal one memorable weekend.

The Cue was a transcendent thing of beauty: polished brass joint; rich polyurethaned walnut forearm; red and black specked nylon wrap (genuine); and a butt plate of iridescent multicolored rings. I thought my Mom and Dad were going to kill me when they found out I had squandered most of my meager funds on “a pool cue?!” and I suffered some withering words, offered in fatherly counsel, about “wasting” my money. But I did not care. It was worth it all.

I remember frequently locking myself in my room and lovingly wiping down the forearm of The Cue, using several paper towels and much of my Mom’s can of Pledge. To this day, like catching the wafting scent of a perfume favored by an old flame, a whiff of lemon-scented Pledge still reminds me of that cue and our first summer together. After a few months I came to realize that the black luggage-style case (with red flocked interior) made my look of aspiring hustler somewhat less than credible and I switched over to a soft plain black zippered case.

Man, I loved that cue.

Lou Figueroa

Beautiful Story.

trinacria

in efren we trust
Silver Member
I remove whatever finish is on the shaft and sand off lightly to where its bare wood, like the feel of the wood and don't need it perfectly new looking, I like the color change that takes place on a shaft, its like a patina. the darker the better. I take a damp towel and clean off whatever residue collects at the end of game play. waxes on a shaft feels like rubbing your face against glass on a hot humid day to me.