Gold Crown Barn Find

Ron Padilla

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Scott, I didn't go back to reread everything in the post as I am close to putting mine together soon and have quick question! while assembling I recall it being recommended that the long skirts be cut in half to simplify the reconstruction? did you do that or leave them in one long section?
thaks

pocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Scott, I didn't go back to reread everything in the post as I am close to putting mine together soon and have quick question! while assembling I recall it being recommended that the long skirts be cut in half to simplify the reconstruction? did you do that or leave them in one long section?
thaks

Good God NO!!!!

The only recommendation related to the aprons in to cut the BRACKET, and If I'm not mistaken Steve (the mech that put Scott and my tables together) recommended 3 parts, not two.

I didn't do this on my table and Steve did have to wrestle with one side to get it attached.

Last edited:

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good God NO!!!!

The only recommendation related to the aprons in to cut the BRACKET, and If I'm not mistaken Steve (the mech that put Scott and my tables together) recommended 3 parts, not two.

I didn't do this on my table and Steve did have to wrestle with on side to get it attached.

Agreed.

Early GCI's had one long cleat to attach the aprons, later versions (like mine) had several shorter cleats that are much easier to work with to get the apron hung.

Although it is recommended, I've not seen any detail on how to cut them up. Ideally, you would want 2 screws through the top and two through the side; all countersunk in the cleat. I can't recall, but I think my cleats were 6" in length.

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you, sir! This pic sums it up.

49607163211_e5a6523d4c_c.jpg

This is the picture you should hang in the gameroom my brother.

Ken

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After playing on the table the better part of a few months, I've decided to add ball return. I was able to score a box in decent shape from a contact here on AZB (Thanks, Mark!) and restored it. As expected, the back corners were broken and previously repaired with nails; guess that's what happens when you don't drill pilot holes. I epoxied the pieces back together, drilled and doweled the old holes and cross drilled and doweled from the back of the side panel through the broken pieces and into the side panel for added strength. My mechanic (tablemechanic on AZB) scored some return tracks for me and my buddy (Baby Huey on AZB) gifted me a brand new set of pocket gullies. Thanks Jerry!! The box is all painted and carpeted and the aluminum trim piece is at the powder coater to be coated the same color as my pocket castings and feet. It had seen better days so the best and least expensive route to go was to have it coated. My buddy Dave helped me straighten it, enlarge and countersink the holes. Thanks, Dave!! I'll be using #2 wood screws to hold it in place versus tacks. Here are some pics:

50177798256_cdc474d757_b.jpg

50178051012_54bfd0d72d_b.jpg

50177264003_8598008cd4_b.jpg

50177797731_6a44428cdd_b.jpg

50177797596_32251270c9_b.jpg

50177263258_a885952957_b.jpg

Pic before straightening, drilling and countersinking:
50177286958_671a14bafb_b.jpg

stevelomako

Cash. I uses cash beech.
Silver Member
Make a divider now to put in and take out if you play any one pocket at all.

Then you don’t have to worry about the balls getting mixed up from each side. The balls made in my pocket stay in the tray on my side and I guess if you made any they would stay on your side. 🤔

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Make a divider now to put in and take out if you play any one pocket at all.

Then you don’t have to worry about the balls getting mixed up from each side. The balls made in my pocket stay in the tray on my side and I guess if you made any they would stay on your side. ��

Good idea but I don’t play much 1P so for me, the additional effort isn’t worth it.

Last edited:

ThinSlice

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looks good. Good choice on the all return and good call on the thick carpet in the ball box.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Is it just me that hated those plastic skirts that went underneath the aprons on a GC? They were a hassle to take off and put back on when recovering a table so I just left them off in my poolrooms. Never bothered me asthetically and none of my customers even noticed.

Last edited:

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is it just me that hated those plastic skirts that went underneath the aprons on a GC? They were a hassle to take off and put back on when recovering a table so I just left them off in my poolrooms. Never bothered me asthetically and none of my custmores even noticed.
I think you and any mechanic who has ever worked on a GCI or II. They really aren't that bad as they are a part of the apron once installed and they don't take much work aside from taking the screws out of the brackets that fasten the assembly to the frame. They actually do have an aesthetic function: they hide the bottom of the pocket liners on drop pocket tables and they hide the ball return tracks on ball return tables. Brunswick remedied this with the GCIII and its wide(r) aprons at the corners. I think they are paramount in the overall design of the GCI and II. I can understand the function over form philosophy when it comes to a pool room but in a home environment, I wouldn't want a skirtless GCI. To my eye, it looks incomplete without them.

sellingboe

I think you and any mechanic who has ever worked on a GCI or II. They really aren't that bad as they are a part of the apron once installed and they don't take much work aside from taking the screws out of the brackets that fasten the assembly to the frame. They actually do have an aesthetic function: they hide the bottom of the pocket liners on drop pocket tables and they hide the ball return tracks on ball return tables. Brunswick remedied this with the GCIII and its wide(r) aprons at the corners. I think they are paramount in the overall design of the GCI and II. I can understand the function over form philosophy when it comes to a pool room but in a home environment, I wouldn't want a skirtless GCI. To my eye, it looks incomplete without them.
I totally concur on that. Mechanics may not care for them, but the aesthetic adds to the mid century modern look of the table, which is its era. I like the look, a lot. But for a pool hall environment it could have been simplified without them.

HNTFSH

Birds, Bass & Bottoms
Silver Member
Is it just me that hated those plastic skirts that went underneath the aprons on a GC? They were a hassle to take off and put back on when recovering a table so I just left them off in my poolrooms. Never bothered me asthetically and none of my customers even noticed.
I agree completely. My GC1 is skirtless and it's also stained (hark!). I appreciate the retro too it's just not important in my house.

Lewie

Registered
Personal preference I guess… but I’m with Helfert and like them better skirtless too. Mine is. I think it’s possibly even more mid-century modern like that.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree completely. My GC1 is skirtless and it's also stained (hark!). I appreciate the retro too it's just not important in my house.
Personal preference I guess… but I’m with Helfert and like them better skirtless too. Mine is. I think it’s possibly even more mid-century modern like that.
Here's why the skirts add to the aesthetics of the design and IMO are necessary on the I and II. Who wats to look at the ugly gully system?

247626726_266085732112965_3858705375710626909_n.jpeg