Breakdancing - Paris 2024?

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
As long as I'm not required to watch it, it's OK by me.

It shows that a well organized effort and sufficient fanfare in things like the World Games or Asian games can deliver the desired result. This isn't about some arbitrary body choosing break-dance over pool, but a case of break-dance garnering enough attention to be worthy of entry.

Pool should be inspired by their example.

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

It shows that a well organized effort and sufficient fanfare in things like the World Games or Asian games can deliver the desired result. This isn't about some arbitrary body choosing break-dance over pool, but a case of break-dance garnering enough attention to be worthy of entry.

Yes, you are correct. The editor page of billiard digest described how pool wasn't even organized to carry an event in the junior Olympics or world games, where small sports/competitions can be displayed and gain traction in order to convince the IOC to give it a chance in the main Olympic games.

I still believe that pool should make a run at entering in the winter Olympics, since the game is played indoors and heavily during the winter months by the general public. Plus the schedule is not so packed during the winter Olympics so maybe pool can get a foothold. (Wishful thinking, I know)

Either way, that write-up by the billiards digest editor settled it for me...it's not the IOCs fault that pool isn't selected over breakdancing, table tennis, and other niche sports...it's the organizing body of international pool that should be held to task.

SlickRick_PCS

Pool, Snooker, Carom
Silver Member
Yes, you are correct. The editor page of billiard digest described how pool wasn't even organized to carry an event in the junior Olympics or world games, where small sports/competitions can be displayed and gain traction in order to convince the IOC to give it a chance in the main Olympic games.

I still believe that pool should make a run at entering in the winter Olympics, since the game is played indoors and heavily during the winter months by the general public. Plus the schedule is not so packed during the winter Olympics so maybe pool can get a foothold. (Wishful thinking, I know)

Either way, that write-up by the billiards digest editor settled it for me...it's not the IOCs fault that pool isn't selected over breakdancing, table tennis, and other niche sports...it's the organizing body of international pool that should be held to task.

May you remind me on how pool is a "winter sport"?

The way I see it, it's an all-year sport.
As said by sjm, "Pool should be inspired by their example."
So far, we are marred by the very stigma that still stands since the 1900s, only the inflation of this sport has never grew and this results in prize money that is meant for paupers and not sportsmen. Want an even MORE greater example? Just look at the very people who are posting here on the AZB Forums. Formal? No way... :shakehead: Not even close to it. We're bar-hoppers, hustlers, brawlers, junkies, and many other 3rd rate losers who would rather continue this stigma than to even make an effort to change it. Even if we were to make that change, those same a**holes would give it the ol' "crabs in a barrel" treatment and continue this for as long as it takes. That is why the general consensus will never see billiards as equal as golf. Money? Perhaps, but that is one variable among a good few.

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

For those interested, here is the article link to the Billiards Digest Editor Mike Panozzo's take on the Olympics non-inclusion of cue sports....

http://www.billiardsdigest.com/showblogentry.php?id=390

This was the best explanation and look into the situation that I have read so far. His closing thoughts were on point....

"And one more suggestion. Perhaps the WCBS should set its sights on the Youth Olympic Games, which are staged every other year. Show the sport's youth appeal and present it in a manner that looks contemporary.

After all, the Youth Olympics was the springboard for break dancing's inclusion in Paris ahead of cue sports."

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member

Well said.

Good luck seeing it happen anytime soon. Pool's social stigma is still real (there are still business restrictions here in Chicago, for instance, that apply only to pool halls) and I think it's still a significant factor limiting the interest of capable organizers/investors.

Is there an Olympic issue with pros?

pj
chgo

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Well said.

Good luck seeing it happen anytime soon. Pool's social stigma is still real (there are still business restrictions here in Chicago, for instance, that apply only to pool halls) and I think it's still a significant factor limiting the interest of capable organizers/investors.

pj
chgo

The Olympic issue is whether the pro players will chop just before the gold medal match and how the medals would be handled in that scenario. Wonder if break dancers ever chop.

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
World Cup of pool was putting me to sleep today.

TBH I can see why Olympics wants no part of pool.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Well said.

pj
chgo

The Olympic issue is whether the pro players will chop just before the gold medal match and how the medals would be handled in that scenario. Wonder if break dancers ever chop.
Oh, I think we can count on chopping at least from the pool players.

But I meant aren't the Olympics supposed to be for amateur athletes only?

[EDIT: I just looked it up and see that changed a long time ago.]

litella-emily_snl_commentary.jpg

pj
chgo

Last edited:

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Im surprised pool tables are made today. Olympics?, I doubt it anytime soon but, that doesn't stop one from wishing.

As for the chopping, well, all you got to do is not let pros or top amateurs enter and nobody would bet, much less chop. That will never happen on many levels.

ghost ball

justnum survivor
Silver Member

I would think no pool player would do a chop in an olympics setting. The potential endorsements could be very lucrative for the gold medal winner.

Oh and these pool in olympics talk has been going on since the 80’s...

Shuddy

Diamond Dave’s babysitter
Silver Member
The topic of the popularity of cuesports really interests me. Pool is one of the most popular indoor ‘hobbies’ all over the world; in bars, homes, pubs, clubs, etc. However, all versions of pool (UK pool, US pool, Aussie pool) struggle as a competitive sport. On the other hand, snooker broke through several slumps to get where it is today. I know Hearn has done an incredible job, despite some of his more questionable decisions and sometimes abrasive disposition, but snooker too has not managed to get a foothold in the Olympics.

It’s all very interesting.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The topic of the popularity of cuesports really interests me. Pool is one of the most popular indoor ‘hobbies’ all over the world; in bars, homes, pubs, clubs, etc. However, all versions of pool (UK pool, US pool, Aussie pool) struggle as a competitive sport. On the other hand, snooker broke through several slumps to get where it is today. I know Hearn has done an incredible job, despite some of his more questionable decisions and sometimes abrasive disposition, but snooker too has not managed to get a foothold in the Olympics.

It’s all very interesting.
The problem with snooker by itself is that much of the world does not play it whereas the IOC wants to see sports that are played globally. The strategy adopted is to point out that cue sports in general are global and to have the three major disciplines in international competitions like the World Games.

Shuddy

Silver Member
The problem with snooker by itself is that much of the world does not play it whereas the IOC wants to see sports that are played globally. The strategy adopted is to point out that cue sports in general are global and to have the three major disciplines in international competitions like the World Games.

Indeed.

My curiosity is more pointed towards the popularity of the sports, which is also interesting when contrasted with the popularity of the Olympic sports, actually (but a different point). Pool is a lot more accessible than snooker, and is therefore a more globally played hobby. Look at the results so far in the World Cup. Granted, it’s scotch doubles, but the talent within pool is spread far and wide. Compare the results of the pool World Cup to the snooker World Cup. However, snooker has managed to become a viable business and profession.

With regards to global popularity and the IOC, I think we agree that pool is a much more globally popular sport than canoe sprinting, trampolining, and artistic swimming. As you and others have already mentioned, it needs appropriate representation.

EDIT: and of course the cuesports should lobby as a whole, not as individual disciplines.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... With regards to global popularity and the IOC, I think we agree that pool is a much more globally popular sport than canoe sprinting, trampolining, and artistic swimming. ...
You mean all your friends don't spend their weekends working on their equestrian routines? Or how to come up from the bottom of the pool with a desperate need for air and a smile? It would be nice if there was more emphasis on wide participation and some of the "traditional" sports were phased out, but I don't think that will happen without major changes at the IOC.

Shuddy

Silver Member
You mean all your friends don't spend their weekends working on their equestrian routines? Or how to come up from the bottom of the pool with a desperate need for air and a smile? It would be nice if there was more emphasis on wide participation and some of the "traditional" sports were phased out, but I don't think that will happen without major changes at the IOC.

Hahahahaha!! I wish my friends spent all their time doing that. That would be a much more preferable reflection of my socioeconomic position.