Should we all be emailing ESPN?

LocalArtist

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What if we all sent an email asking to cover pool this week, since everything else has been scrapped?

Shooter 1= Stelzenmuller, Titleist conversion-Z2

Shooter 2= Bob Frey, Bacote sneaky

Jimmorrison

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, they got nothing but reruns. Could at least put up the women’s tour, had it until a couple years ago

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, they got nothing but reruns. Could at least put up the women’s tour, had it until a couple years ago
If they showed pool on ESPN, as they always did in the past, they could tout it as being live even if it wasn’t - virtually no one would know or care!

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
ESPN would listen to 100,000 emails.

If you have an e-mail address, that would be first step to see all emails went to same place.

If you could go on social media were pool player read, more email could be sent.

Little effort of sending emails could have positive return, if nothing happened you could say we tried.

Last edited:
People themselves get nothing done. If a multimillion dollar company were to contact them, it would get something moving. There are many influential people on this site, I'm sure, some with pull in this or that brand like McDermott or Predator or Mezz or something, if they were to contact ESPN then that would be a different story. Networks see every successful company as a representation of a big number of people, (you wouldn't be successful if nobody supported you) so if one of those companies went to bat then ESPN couldn't possibly ignore them because that would be ignoring a huge chunk of potential viewers. Viewers means ratings, ratings mean advertising, advertising means money.

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All this would accomplish is to bring national attention to the fact a huge pool event is happening and the Nevada state government would shut it down, as they should have already.

dnixon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I spoke with someone at ESPN about a year ago. He told me they could not get any major commercial sponsors During the pool Events. And without commercials there’s no money!

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I spoke with someone at ESPN about a year ago. He told me they could not get any major commercial sponsors During the pool Events. And without commercials there’s no money!

It all comes down to money and they've done their market research.

TheLoneSilencer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Would be a complete waste of time. Pool is a niche sport with a small market and that is not debatable. It has next to no mainstream appeal in today's society. The fact ESPN could be without much in live sports for awhile and still would not bother wasting time showing pool should tell you everything you need to know.

trinacria

in efren we trust
Silver Member
I doubt they would sign contracts and other things fast enough to be able to provide coverage. they may replay content they own, but they would rather play football and baseball classics

brigeton

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hell they put on curling or darts or whatever. I can't believe those have a bigger following than pool.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Exactly. There is zero financial reason for ESPN to show pool. All the emails in the world won't change that. Pool will always be shown in a streaming format of some kind. It would be nice have a "Pool Channel" ala golf but that will never happen.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hell they put on curling or darts or whatever. I can't believe those have a bigger following than pool.
The 2020 darts World Champion won 500,000pounds a few weeks ago. It has a HUGE following in the UK and Europe. BTW, Matchroom made these guys rich so there might be hope for pool.

I may be the only person here who will think so but maybe it's for the best. I don't think pool would be more fun with corporate sponsorships and commercials and energy drinks and pool specific clothes and marketing and advertising and more appeal and a bigger crowd. I mean it's niche as it is as the guy above mentioned, but try getting a table on a Friday night.. now imagine if all of those people wore pool brand clothes and drank pool brand drinks and talked about everything pool related BUT the game itself, whipping out their stupid phones and tinkering with pool apps.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I may be the only person here who will think so but maybe it's for the best. I don't think pool would be more fun with corporate sponsorships and commercials and energy drinks and pool specific clothes and marketing and advertising and more appeal and a bigger crowd. I mean it's niche as it is as the guy above mentioned, but try getting a table on a Friday night.. now imagine if all of those people wore pool brand clothes and drank pool brand drinks and talked about everything pool related BUT the game itself, whipping out their stupid phones and tinkering with pool apps.
I kinda agree somewhat but the biggest problem is the age gap. Pool has to find a way to attract younger players and if that means apps, etc. then so be it. Gotta find a way to bring down the average age of players. Its a lot like NHRA drag racing. Go to one of their events and look at the crowd. Old white dudes. What they race is irrelevant to younger racing fans. Kids drive imports with 4-bangers, not big-ass V8's. If we can't attract kids we're in trouble.

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No we shouldn't email espn, pool at it's current state is boring, and shotclock doesn't make it more interesting.... we need to find a way to make pool interesting for non-pool players.

Think outside of the box.

Hell even pool players some of them get bored while watching pool, its true story I was in a poolhall where I invited ppl to watch a live stream that i am previewing from the PPV I bought, most of them said nah they rather play than watch themself, and yea none of them watched LOL.

I kinda agree somewhat but the biggest problem is the age gap. Pool has to find a way to attract younger players and if that means apps, etc. then so be it. Gotta find a way to bring down the average age of players. Its a lot like NHRA drag racing. Go to one of their events and look at the crowd. Old white dudes. What they race is irrelevant to younger racing fans. Kids drive imports with 4-bangers, not big-ass V8's. If we can't attract kids we're in trouble.
If you wanted the younger people involved, you should've raised them better. I don't mean YOU specifically, I mean in general. Not to give too much away about myself, but I'm not old myself and I interact with younger people daily, and my takeaway is that for the most part, they don't see the need to put in the hours to be good at pool. And pool is a difficult game, even if you're gifted you still need to put in the hours. The general mindset is: if it's not easy and there's no immediate gain, it's not worth doing.

Younger people do play pool, it's not the older people who take up all the tables on Friday nights, but they're there to bang balls around and do masse shots they saw on YouTube and drink beer and play grabass. But they're still there! They pay the tabs, they pay for the tables, they just don't give a shit about pool. They'll even enter tournaments. Hell, the reason APA and leagues suck so bad is because the younger people brought that mentality with them.

And it's not as if the older people are hostile or anything, they're there and they're willing to teach and to explain, except nobody asks because nobody cares. All I know about pool I learned from other people and a couple of books, I tried learning things on YouTube but it just didn't do it for me, so I know first-hand that it's not like pool is some old boys invite only club with secret handshakes and initiation.

The only way to attract younger people to pool would be to let them play pool on their iPhones and then show up to pool halls to claim prizes. And it has to do with the way they were raised. Is pool dead? No. Is it dying? Also no. Is it a major franchise with endorsements and sponsorships? No, but it doesn't need to be to stay relevant. Pool is supported by those who want to support it, there is no obligation or pressure. For example: Pool cues are expensive because fewer people are buying them and they're difficult to make, so every time you buy a pool cue you indirectly support pool.

The biggest problem with the way older people think is that they think the computer is some magical box. "Type it into the computer" , you say, "look it up on the Google" , "read it on the internet" , without realizing at the end of the day that what's driving all of it is the human factor, and neglecting that with misplaced faith in the future is what raised these anti-social, entitled, sensitive, impatient and lazy kids who were also taught to worship the magical box because most of you were too busy divorcing each other or experimenting with antidepressants.

As far as drag racing goes, that kind of stuff requires a sizeable disposable income, which is why all you see is old white dudes. Retirement or inheritance or whatever. Selling your houses to Chinese investors overseas. I don't care. I drive a 6 cylinder myself, would I want more power and speed? You bet your ass I would! But I can't afford it.

Sorry if I offended you in any of this, none of this was directed at you specifically.

Last edited:

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
We go over this here on AZB every so often... all those niche sports that get coverage on ESPN are on there solely because the group's get sponsors to pay for it. Just like the women's pool tour did when they were last on ESPN.

They dont cover darts, or cornhole, or axe throwing cuz they want to. The group's provide sponsors to pay for it. Every time.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Why do you need it on espn when you can watch anything on youtube on a smart tv

ESPN attracts advertisers, advertisers might pay the Tournment People for Advertising Signage in Tournment area.

Plus let say ESPN is a TV Network, totally different then streaming, and U-Tube.

Difference between Little League Basball, and MLB.. JMHO:smile: