Navigator Cue Tips

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
Id be interested at $5 per tip.....just cant justify paying more for a tip than a chunk of ivory for a ferrule.....

The question becomes ,,,,, do you want to get rich quick by selling an over priced item???

Would you rather sell 100 pieces at $25 dollars each or 1,000,000 pieces at $5 each???

Kim

Hits 'em Hard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm glad this got bumped back up. After two months on the end of my shafts I cut the tips off. I did this for a couple reasons. The Soft is no where near a true soft. It's more of a med-hard hit feel. The Quick makes a damn nice break tip, but almost unplayable overall. For my current feeling on these tips is anything more then $8/tip is overpriced. There just isn't a market for this tip at the price point they want. Even though both tips are very high quality leather. Trimmed up better than any other tip I've installed. The target audience for these tips do no exist.

I'd recomend to Navigator to re-label the Soft as the Quick. Label the Quick as a break tip, and redevelop a proper Soft tip. There is nothing wrong with these tips besides the improper hardness labeling.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm glad this got bumped back up. After two months on the end of my shafts I cut the tips off. I did this for a couple reasons. The Soft is no where near a true soft. It's more of a med-hard hit feel. The Quick makes a damn nice break tip, but almost unplayable overall. For my current feeling on these tips is anything more then $8/tip is overpriced. There just isn't a market for this tip at the price point they want. Even though both tips are very high quality leather. Trimmed up better than any other tip I've installed. The target audience for these tips do no exist.

I'd recomend to Navigator to re-label the Soft as the Quick. Label the Quick as a break tip, and redevelop a proper Soft tip. There is nothing wrong with these tips besides the improper hardness labeling.

I`m glad this thread surfaced too. I wanted to like the Navigator tips, but I can`t get comfortable with these tips.
I have tested the Soft and the Medium Navigators, but the problem is that the tips are no where near their stated hardness/softness. It`s just confusing to play with and I have not managed to get any positive feedback from other players.

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I just wanted to bump this thread with my personal experience with navigator pool tip.
As a special trial offer, I took a navigator black medium tip and a navigator blue medium tip.
The blue was installed on a spare, rarely used shaft, so it has received zero attention.

However, I have tried seriously to play with the Navigator Black medium tip three different times over the past four months and I cannot continue.
Therefore, I will have to recommend taking a pass on these tips.

I usually play a Kamui.Black medium. I have a brand new Longoni S2 shaft with a brand new Kamui black medium tip installed(top).
Here is a side by side comparison with another Longoni shaft with the Navigator Black medium tip (bottom).

While playing the Navigator tip, it is apparent the medium hardness is not on par with other tips on the market. It feels more like a soft tip, but also uneven around the perimeter of the tip. If shooting power follow drills, out of 10 shots, I could get three different feels and cue ball reactions depending on how I rotated the cue.

The uneven play of the tip was strange, but something I could play through.

The kicker was the third attempt and final one of trying to force myself to like this tip. The miscues were a plenty. After full tip maintenance, and chalking after every shot, I just determined this is an inferior tip. In no way is at as consistent as a Kamui or Tiger Everest for that matter.

I have since been using an OB classic shaft with the Tiger Everest medium tip and the hit is perfect in hardness (not as quality as the Kamui but adequate for sure) and if I do miscue, it's my fault not a tip problem.

For the final test a tried a simple drill straight in shot, cue ball 3 diamonds away from object ball, and draw back to the head rail.
Not even close. The Navigator failed in my opinion. But I can successfully do this still with a worn down Tiger Everest or Kamui black.

Also when viewed side by side, the layer rings of the Tiger and Kamui are closer spaced than the Navigator. which leads me to wonder if this is just a difference in how the tip layers are pressed between the different tips tip cause a different reaction.

Here are some photos....

Also note how the Navigator Black on the left isn't really consistent in its color when shaped, but the Kamui Black on the right is consistent through all the layers.

At this angle, you can clearly see the difference in amount of layer rings between the Navigator Black (left) and Kamui Black (right)

Side by side comparison.
Tiger Everest Medium on left
Navigator Black center
Kamui black medium right
Note the color of the leather on the Navigator Black tip is more closer to the color of the Tiger tip which is brown. This may be an uneven amount of chemical treatment that causes the Navigator tip to play uneven. Also note the layer rings, how close they are with Kamui and Tiger....but not with Navigator.

All in all, I do not recommend this tip, even if it is on a huge discount.