SJM at 1/2 the International

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After Denis Grabe showed himself to be a complete and utter ass in the 2018 Leende, NL Eurotour stop when he tried to harass Shane McMinn about the rack, and get in his head by insinuating that "That's how you Americans have to cheat, to win", I am filled with great glee every time he loses, and if he ever wins a major U.S. event, I may go into mourning for a week.
I've known Shane since he started playing. He told me he'd never wanted to b^*ch-slap someone so bad in his life as he did that Grabe a-hole.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
In all the years I served as a tournament director, it was the TD's decision that was final, not that of a referee. In most cases I would back up the ref's call, but there were times when a referee was simply not aware of the correct ruling and erred in making his call.

Even with the extensive rule book that covers most everything, there have been times where a judgement call must be made. In such cases I ruled in the "interest of fair play" whenever possible. In some rare instances where there was no logical ruling that could be made that was fair to both parties, I would ask who broke the balls and then have them start the game over.

Somehow I made it through over 200 tournaments with my integrity and reputation intact. I'd like to think that the pro players were glad to see me running their tournaments.

On this occasion, the tournament director was not called over at all. The judgement call of "no foul" was made by the presiding referee, who prioritized what he believed to be fair over the letter of the law. Was this handled acceptably in your view?

Last edited:

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Implement fouls

A similar controversy occurred when Dennis Grabe and Mike Dechaine matched up in what I believe to have been the 2016 US Open 9-ball in a late round. Grabe made a fine shot on the five ball and seemed to be heading for a break and run, but the cue ball went three rails and touched the overhanging template, which had been left there by Grabe after he'd racked them. Dechaine claimed that this was a foul, and demanded a ruling from the head referee. I must admit that, although I noticed the cue ball had hit the overhanding template, I didn't think it was a foul. Turned out I was wrong. The head referee solicited the opinion of Bob Jewett, widely recognized as the greatest authority on the rules of play, and the ultimate decision was that Grabe had fouled. The momentum of the match definitely shifted at that moment and Dechaine went on to win.

You had to feel for Grabe on that occasion, just as we feel for Kazakis on this occasion, but the vehicle existed then for a player claiming foul and demanding a ruling and I suspect the right still exists.

There is a similar precedent in the case of World Cup of Pool England A v Romania (2015)
In rack 5, Romanian player accidentally left his cue extension near rail and ball hit it. Referee Nigel immediately called foul https://youtu.be/0YXheh7Pg_w?t=2274
But in that case, the cue extension was player own implement whereas the template is a neutral implement in the case of Grabe v Dechaine (2016). If the ref was the one racking , it would not have been ruled a foul. It could be argued that Grabe was performing a neutral role or wearing the hat of ref when he was racking so it should not be ruled a foul ? :D
(The irony is Romania were themselves beneficiary of a cue foul in their previous World Cup of Pool Romania v Indonesia (2015) when Indonesian player inadvertently marked the table with his cue when his partner was shooting https://youtu.be/DL7Elgts4Xo?t=3022 )

Last edited:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
There is a similar precedent in the case of World Cup of Pool England A v Romania (2015)
In rack 5, Romanian player accidentally left his cue extension near rail and ball hit it. Referee Nigel immediately called foul https://youtu.be/0YXheh7Pg_w?t=2274
But in that case, the cue extension was player own implement whereas the template is a neutral implement in the case of Grabe v Dechaine (2016). If the ref was the one racking , it would not have been ruled a foul. It could be argued that Grabe was performing a neutral role or wearing the hat of ref when he was racking so it should not be ruled a foul ? :D
(The irony is Romania were themselves beneficiary of a cue foul in their previous World Cup of Pool Romania v Indonesia (2015) when Indonesian player inadvertently marked the table with his cue when his partner was shooting https://youtu.be/DL7Elgts4Xo?t=3022 )

Thanks for the insights. These situations sometimes make my head spin.

ShortBusRuss

Short Bus Russ - C Player
Silver Member
I've known Shane since he started playing. He told me he'd never wanted to b^*ch-slap someone so bad in his life as he did that Grabe a-hole.

I was there ringside for that match, and I immediately piped up with, "He's just trying to get in your head, Shane.. Don't let him do it!"

And... Shane didn't! He beat Grabe that set.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
On this occasion, the tournament director was not called over at all. The judgement call of "no foul" was made by the presiding referee, who prioritized what he believed to be fair over the letter of the law. Was this handled acceptably in your view?

Absolutely. Good judgement call by the ref. If there had been a dispute after that the TD could have been called in to make a final decision, but it sounds like both players agreed that the right call was made. No harm, no foul, keep playing! :wink:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Absolutely. Good judgement call by the ref. If there had been a dispute after that the TD could have been called in to make a final decision, but it sounds like both players agreed that the right call was made. No harm, no foul, keep playing! :wink:

Thanks for sharing your point of view here, Jay. Fans struggle to understand these situations at times.

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
SJM at 1/2 the International 9-ball

Friday’s play was, in a word, breathtaking.

One of the great batlles I’ve ever witnessed was Justin Bergman vs Alex Pagulayan.

Stu,
These are some strong words by a man with a such a storied background in watching professional pool. This is also why I continue to be a faithful subscriber to Pat’s AccuStats video on demand. When he posts the International Open matches to the list of on-demand videos, I’m going to these matches first off your review.

Thanks for the review and notes. Very much appreciated.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think you may be mistaken here, for I believe that a challenge is provided for in the procedures.

A similar controversy occurred when Dennis Grabe and Mike Dechaine matched up in what I believe to have been the 2016 US Open 9-ball in a late round. Grabe made a fine shot on the five ball and seemed to be heading for a break and run, but the cue ball went three rails and touched the overhanging template, which had been left there by Grabe after he'd racked them. Dechaine claimed that this was a foul, and demanded a ruling from the head referee. I must admit that, although I noticed the cue ball had hit the overhanding template, I didn't think it was a foul. Turned out I was wrong. The head referee solicited the opinion of Bob Jewett, widely recognized as the greatest authority on the rules of play, and the ultimate decision was that Grabe had fouled. The momentum of the match definitely shifted at that moment and Dechaine went on to win.

You had to feel for Grabe on that occasion, just as we feel for Kazakis on this occasion, but the vehicle existed then for a player claiming foul and demanding a ruling and I suspect the right still exists.

that specific foul i have seen called on high level euro tournaments. i like that rule. template should be removed from the table completely imo. utilize the rack hanger..

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
happened to me long ago

I had somebody be a total a-hole playing me in the finals of a tournament. At that point in time I would have decked him but I had a problem. A friend I had known for many years had recently bought the place and was using the tournaments to promote his business. He didn't need a fight in the place at all, particularly during a tournament. I felt like my hands were tied in a manner they wouldn't be anywhere else. Because of that, I did let my emotions get the better of me and lost the match. It was a small event and I was winning too regularly anyway. I told my friend don't sweat the second place payout, I was coming win the event the next week.

Anger often made me play better. Anger and the feeling of helplessness burned me that time. I never let it happen again so it was a cheap lesson. Never saw the a-hole again either, I would have decked him just on general principles if I had ran into him!:grin: I have to admit there are times I miss the old days when you could hit someone that richly deserved it without facing a lawsuit and criminal charges.

Hu

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
that specific foul i have seen called on high level euro tournaments. i like that rule. template should be removed from the table completely imo. utilize the rack hanger..

Agree with how it should be, but countless players still leave the rack on top of one of the rails. I do understand the philosophy behind calling it a foul even though it would be hard to argue that the path of a ball is modified perceptibly when it runs into a template that overhangs a rail. Still, the rule is the rule and players need to know it and live with it. Sounds like the Euros do it right.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member

I'm don't think Kazakis felt the right call had been made. He did choose to abide by the referee's decision, but he was visibly upset.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Stu,
These are some strong words by a man with a such a storied background in watching professional pool. This is also why I continue to be a faithful subscriber to Pat’s AccuStats video on demand. When he posts the International Open matches to the list of on-demand videos, I’m going to these matches first off your review.

Thanks for the review and notes. Very much appreciated.

I fear that Pagulayan vs Bergman, which was contested on an outer table, may not have been recorded at all. Guess we'll find out soon enough.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm don't think Kazakis felt the right call had been made. He did choose to abide by the referee's decision, but he was visibly upset.

He could have called for the TD to make a ruling if he chose to.