Custom Cue Values... Little help from people in the know?

marinemike0931

Registered
Again thanks for your service buddy,i will check it out too. I don,t see any pictures,you might be in the process of posting some? Please don,t buy a cue from any maker till you hit so e balls with a cue made by them...if you do like it,then make sure to order the same joint pin and shaft size so it plays the same! Enjoy the custom craze buddy,but it is a sickness lol!
I forgot to attach the pic, my fault
2a0bb291501a99d92e882afd410dd405.jpg
ab580bc81947c743f0db8f513640f193.jpg
5bde1ff8d17b69b7a11c6d587f0872b5.jpg

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

marinemike0931

Registered
There was a thread in the Main Forum about a year ago, IIRC, listing cue design features that responders hated. Again from my recollection, stones like turquoise and malachite were mentioned more than once. If I were considering a fancy custom, I would read it first. There was a lot of great advice. The more potential buyers that you remove from the pool, the less you'll get on resale.
So would it be better to remove those inlays all together or replace the turquoise with something else? Recommendations?

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So would it be better to remove those inlays all together or replace the turquoise with something else? Recommendations?

IMO, you should have a cue made that you will love playing with. If turquoise looks great to you, recognize that it may affect resale value. If that bothers you, consider replacing it. You probably would not want my advice for alternative designs or materials.

I own two custom built cues, neither of which were built for me. I enjoy playing with each of them so much that resale value doesn't mean anything to me. The executor of my estate will have to deal with them.

I reread jayburger's advice over several posts. I thought he provided some solid advice. I like his list of cuemakers that he would consider. In view of your service, another cuemaker you might consider is Jules Patterson (EDC; Every Day Carry Cues). Last I heard, he was full time military, I don't recall which branch. Trained in cuemaking by Randy Mobley and one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet. Workmanship is excellent. I have only played with one of his cues and it was definitely special, as you would hope considering his training. His cues don't show up very often but they seem to be holding value.

Thanks for your service. I hope you find a cue that is worth your effort.

cubswin

Just call me Joe...
Silver Member
Buy what you like.

I would keep in mind, that ivory in a new cue brings about all kinds of complications and if buying from some one outside of the country you live in brings in customs that can and will seize the cue if they find it. Personally I would avoid ivory at this point.

Custom cue resale value is all about who makes the cue and their reputation. Usually the reputation is well earned, which is why the cues come at a premium. Cues for the most part are not a good investment, so back to the first line buy what you like.

If you use someone like Joel Dadivas his cost will be lower, and the resale value will also be lower. However if you are happy with the work it doesn't really matter.

If I was asking for that cue from cuemakers inside the US I'd expect a 2+ year wait for delivery.

Personally I'd check with Bob Dzuricky, builds a very nice cue and is easy to work with. https://www.dzcues.com

Gunn_Slinger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've never understood how anyone can buy a cue without at least
playing with a number of the makers cues ?
A cue maker can make 10 cues that play differently . But they will
have a general consistency about them. I have found that every cue
I have had 'custom made ' for me has had to be 'tweaked ' at least
once. My 73' JOSS made by Danny Janes & Tim Scruggs was tweaked
a few times in 73' . All my Bob Frey custom cues were adjusted a
few times. When done, they all play great !
Tim was great with my JOSS and Bob made every cue play great.
What do you do if you order a cue from someone not close enough
to travel to their shop ? Hard to tweak it mailing back and forth.
Over the years I have seen players with new cues hitting balls
and asked them, how does it play ? Most said they were 'getting used'
to the cue. Really ? If you have to 'get used to it' , IMO its not
the cue for you.
Good luck all
Hope you find a great cue for YOU !

lakeman77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
On one hand you can count the number of custom cue makers who's work goes up or holds value. The rest, figure 40% loss when you open the UPS box. Buy one you can try it out, from the same maker, some are good, some are dogs. Good Luck.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you build this plan on it being yours forever. It is never going to be an investment. If you enjoy it and okay with it for decades it will be worth every cent.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Mike,

You do a project like this for love, not money. Going into it, count on losing much of the cost and so ahead and get your money's worth out of the cue. If you sell it, you might be pleasantly surprised when you get most or all of your money back. If you buy right and it comes out well, you'll do OK on it.

Here's an analogy. I always had bought my homes taking into consideration the long term investment value. This last house was new construction and was designed the way we wanted it where we wanted it, without regard to resale. I figured even if we lost money on it, the trade off was we have exactly what we want and that is worth a lot.

Chris

Last edited:

marinemike0931

Registered
Which of these 2 setups would you guys go with? I'm working with JD now, he says same price for either. Going to drop the turquoise and all the white is going to be white snake juma instead of ivory
4a81c2ca7ff7b65e1bb937d38fcd9687.jpg
88ae104445447a232518203bc55771d1.jpg

marinemike0931

Registered
I'm going to find someone around here with 1 of his cues and hit a few balls with it before I order... I'm using my own shaft (Jacoby Black CF) so I'm not super worried about deflection, more balance, feedback, and feel

ThinSlice

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm going to find someone around here with 1 of his cues and hit a few balls with it before I order... I'm using my own shaft (Jacoby Black CF) so I'm not super worried about deflection, more balance, feedback, and feel

In my opinion the biggest issue with getting a custom cue made by a top builder is the wait. Most of the custom orders are put in by collectors and cue flippers which leaves the players waiting years for a cue. I find this completely unfair to the players just so they can make a few bucks or collecting dust as they mentally masturbate to their collection.

Then once you get your cue you hope it plays up to your expectations.

Contrary to what a previous post implied regarding getting use to it...ALL cues break in over time. Some take longer. Others not do much. All depends. I cues that have taken 6 months of serious play to break in and you can feel them breaking in over time. Which is part of the fun. Once they do then and only then can you judge the hit.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
In my opinion the biggest issue with getting a custom cue made by a top builder is the wait. Most of the custom orders are put in by collectors and cue flippers which leaves the players waiting years for a cue. I find this completely unfair to the players just so they can make a few bucks or collecting dust as they mentally masturbate to their collection.

Then once you get your cue you hope it plays up to your expectations.

Contrary to what a previous post implied regarding getting use to it...ALL cues break in over time. Some take longer. Others not do much. All depends. I cues that have taken 6 months of serious play to break in and you can feel them breaking in over time. Which is part of the fun. Once they do then and only then can you judge the hit.

Good luck.

Keep in mind that custom cue makers are not your local McDonalds. They owe no one anything. Your "opinion" is valid in regards to wait time but as I said you're owed nothing. There are makers that hold to a list and there are those that don't and it's their prerogative. Maybey a custom cue from a "top builder" isn't in the cards for some. They wouldn't be alone either but chastising makers for trying to maximize THEIR, not anyone elses, business and life shouldnt be scrutinized because someone didn't get their way.

I mean if all you want is a good playing cue, there are MANY options outside of a top custom builder.

My advice is if you really want a cue from a top builder then try and create a dialog with them. Build a relationship. Let them know how much you desire their work. Get THEM excited. You may or may not get what you want but at least you increase your chances. Sometimes that's all you can do.

Last edited:

ThinSlice

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Keep in mind that custom cue makers are not your local McDonalds. They owe no one anything. Your "opinion" is valid in regards to wait time but as I said you're owed nothing. There are makers that hold to a list and there are those that don't and it's their prerogative. Maybey a custom cue from a "top builder" isn't in the cards for you. You wouldn't be alone either but chastising makers for trying to maximize THEIR, not anyone elses, business and life shouldnt be scrutinized because they didn't get their way.

I mean if all you want is a good playing cue, there are MANY options outside of a top custom builder.

My advice is if you really want a cue from a top builder then try and create a dialog with them. Build a relationship. Let them know how much you desire their work. Get THEM excited. You may or may not get what you want but at least you increase your chances. Sometimes that's all you can do.

I am not the one trying to buy a custom cue. I assume the reason that a cue maker started making cues in the beginning was to have players play their cues. Maybe I am wrong and there is another motive. However do you think any top cue maker would sell less cues if he was only to sell them to the player vs the cue scalpers? The problem is not the cue mss as let’s. The problem is the flippers/scalpers. That’s not prerogative. It’s just a bad market plan for the industry as a whole.

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
I am not the one trying to buy a custom cue. I assume the reason that a cue maker started making cues in the beginning was to have players play their cues. Maybe I am wrong and there is another motive. However do you think any top cue maker would sell less cues if he was only to sell them to the player vs the cue scalpers? The problem is not the cue mss as let’s. The problem is the flippers/scalpers. That’s not prerogative. It’s just a bad market plan for the industry as a whole.

"The industry" has little to due with anything custom. Sure, all makers custom or other, want people to play with their cues but that doesn't always gaurantee that anyone will be able to aquire a particular cue. And that has nothing to due with the "flippers/scalpers".... And YES it is a makers perogative to build for whomever they want to. Keep in mind not all makers strive for volume sales... Like I said, there are many other options available beyond custom.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I forgot to attach the pic, my fault
2a0bb291501a99d92e882afd410dd405.jpg
ab580bc81947c743f0db8f513640f193.jpg
5bde1ff8d17b69b7a11c6d587f0872b5.jpg

Dude, after what you did to defend our country I say we take up a collection and buy that cue for you to say thanks, or at least a matching funds kind of thing. I'm in for a few sheckels. Anyone else on Veteran's Day?

marinemike0931

Registered
Dude, after what you did to defend our country I say we take up a collection and buy that cue for you to say thanks, or at least a matching funds kind of thing. I'm in for a few sheckels. Anyone else on Veteran's Day?
I appreciate the jesture man, honestly... But I'd rather you just remember my fallen brothers and say a prayer for the kids growing up without a father, and their mothers doing it alone. I don't usually bring up my military service because I don't want the recognition, knowing that there are many who paid a much higher price.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I appreciate the jesture man, honestly... But I'd rather you just remember my fallen brothers and say a prayer for the kids growing up without a father, and their mothers doing it alone. I don't usually bring up my military service because I don't want the recognition, knowing that there are many who paid a much higher price.

I'd like to say "Roger that" but I never served myself so that would be out of line :wink:. Let's say I should have predicted your reply. Maybe a donation to one of the fallen warriors foundations would be appropriate.

marinemike0931

Registered
I'd like to say "Roger that" but I never served myself so that would be out of line :wink:. Let's say I should have predicted your reply. Maybe a donation to one of the fallen warriors foundations would be appropriate.
It would be... If you want to help ME out, you can help me decide which way to go with this handle. Keep in mind everything white is white snake juma.
2fae7b51d835cd10cfd73a68f4f04e95.jpg
77f77b07e652bad3cf31bcfd3baa863f.jpg

JC

Coos Cues
It would be... If you want to help ME out, you can help me decide which way to go with this handle. Keep in mind everything white is white snake juma.
2fae7b51d835cd10cfd73a68f4f04e95.jpg
77f77b07e652bad3cf31bcfd3baa863f.jpg

Reminds me of the video game at the bar where you click on the picture that's different.

Perfect example of why a lot of cue builders don't take orders and just build cues they like, offering them for sale when complete.

If you have someone willing to entertain this build I don't think you should be too concerned about price.