Pool author John Koeppel from Memphis?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm trying to find more info on the author of a 300-page pool book I have. It has an ISBN and an LOC card number but both of those go nowhere. It was published in 1981 in Memphis.

I think this might be about him:

John Bernard Koeppel obituary (CommercialAppeal)

JOHN BERNARD KOEPPEL, 91, of Memphis, retired piano tuner, died September 21, 2006. Mr. Koeppel was born July 9, 1915 to Frederick Koeppel and Elmira Carrington Koeppel in Creston, Iowa. Mr. Koeppel came to Memphis in 1954 from Rochester, New York. He was the widower of Mrs. Mary Elizabeth Welty Koeppel who died June 19, 2006 after 66 years of marriage. Mr. Koeppel was a member of Schoolfield United Methodist Church. He is survived by his two....

CropperCapture[559].png

Last edited:

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm trying to find more info on the author of a 300-page pool book I have. It has an ISBN and an LOC card number but both of those go nowhere. It was published in 1981 in Memphis.

I think this might be about him:

John Bernard Koeppel obituary (CommercialAppeal)

JOHN BERNARD KOEPPEL, 91, of Memphis, retired piano tuner, died September 21, 2006. Mr. Koeppel was born July 9, 1915 to Frederick Koeppel and Elmira Carrington Koeppel in Creston, Iowa. Mr. Koeppel came to Memphis in 1954 from Rochester, New York. He was the widower of Mrs. Mary Elizabeth Welty Koeppel who died June 19, 2006 after 66 years of marriage. Mr. Koeppel was a member of Schoolfield United Methodist Church. He is survived by his two....

View attachment 551566

hey bob, digging into (pool) mysteries is always fun
john sure doesn't appear to be much of a celeb
his son, on the other hand..
https://www.memphisdailynews.com/editorial/ArticleEmail.aspx?id=58615
http://biggerthanyourhead.net/
maybe fred can help with john?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
right on. I hope your extension yields fruit.

out of curiosity, what's the book like? besides its author being rare, is the book very unique?
I'd say it's the writing of an interested amateur who has thought a lot about the game. He has his own vocabulary. For example, he reports that Mosconi used a "slide" stroke on every shot.

I haven't found any discussion I haven't seen before but I haven't read the whole thing.

As with a lot of self-published books, an editor could have helped. "Eschew surplussage!" -- Mark Twain

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd say it's the writing of an interested amateur who has thought a lot about the game. He has his own vocabulary. For example, he reports that Mosconi used a "slide" stroke on every shot.

I haven't found any discussion I haven't seen before but I haven't read the whole thing.

As with a lot of self-published books, an editor could have helped. "Eschew surplussage!" -- Mark Twain

thanks bob
mark (might've) also said
"no cats on the ta...ah, screw it":thumbup:

Attachments

• catsonly.jpg
    catsonly.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 338

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Fredric answered my email. He did the cover illustration for the book when he was in high school. The book was self published. The name of the "publisher" was an indirect reference to John's work as a piano tuner.

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The name of the "publisher" was an indirect reference to John's work as a piano tuner.

as a bit of a music fool, I definitely caught that :grin-square:

fun to hear that the book was a family affair
I bet fred got a kick out of receiving your msg, bob
I don't have much in the way of pool lit.
but have some self-published stuff related to other fields
that stuff is cool.

Poolhall60561

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was desperate for information in 1980 and bought these from an ad in the back of a National Billiard News. Self Published. Two of these do not even have an author.

C899ED41-15C1-4564-80AC-0D8DCF11F4CF.jpeg

251D7BE0-22FC-4280-8D8D-196FAF63D1D4.jpeg

19A3EADD-4499-4DC6-8916-EEDE7ACD90D8.jpeg

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I didn't remember the Koeppel book from when it was published, but I was looking through the October 1982 issue of The National Billiard News and saw this ad:

Scan20200724.jpg

I thought the cover of that NBN was pretty interesting, too:

Scan20200724_0001.jpg

Poolhall60561

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don’t know how I missed that ad. If I would of saw it, I would have bought it.
For $7.95, includes shipping and handling, you get all the secrets.