Pool scene in Florida

Cmbeers

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm at the age where I thinking about where I'm going to retire to. I checked out Myrtle Beach this year and I'm planning on making multiple trips to different places in the next few years. I like Arizona but I'm not keen on living that far west.

Wife likes the beach. So our next trip in 2 months will be Florida. She prefers the gulf side. She tells me St. Petersburg is nice. What is the pool scene like around there?

Any other suggestions in Florida? I'm trying to get this trip planned. Lol. (Miami and anywhere close to the Everglades are out. I don't feel like wrestling pythons out of my yard)

Sent from my SM-T727V using Tapatalk

axejunkie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I live in St. Pete. Pool scene is pretty healthy, there are probably 7 rooms within a 30 minute drive. Some are non-smoking and some not. You can find tournaments weekdays during the day. Leagues are pretty common, APA and BCA are around and there are travel leagues which go to bars also. Table rates are pretty affordable, for me at least as I was in the mid-Atlantic area before moving.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
few people in florida have ever seen a python.
if you want action the big cities is where you have to go. small action lots of spots to go.
stuart has non smoking rooms with new diamonds and kept up. 5 bucks all day to play. or a 100 a month and the east coast beach weather is nicer on that side.

if you
want non smoking check hard as most are smoke pits.

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lots of pool around Clearwater area. Moved from baltimore 7 years ago and love it. I live in palm harbor close to Strokers. Great pool room with great food. Non smoking with about 6 other pool rooms within a 25 minute ride.

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lots of pool around Clearwater area. Moved from baltimore 7 years ago and love it. I live in palm harbor close to Strokers. Great pool room with great food. Non smoking with about 6 other pool rooms within a 25 minute ride.

Strokers is non smoking? Is this new? I was there a year or so ago and had a cigar. Maybe it was t so years ago??

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Is side pocket non smoking now also?

Last edited:

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Listen to the folks here from FL! They have good recommendations. Stay away from SW Florida- Naples,Marco, FT.Myers area - I live down here and the pool hall scene is just non existent for all practical purposes. Just a few rooms, old, old tables, and even the Diamonds are the old red labels- really no scene at all.

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Side Pockets closed permanently a few months ago.

Stroker's changed to non smoking after reopening from COVID.

probably has something to do with their food license. My hall can't sell beer because they don't have a food license. which is total bullshit. They've been open for fifty years and I'm not sure the owner can take much more. He's losing every week and just keeps it open for his regulars like me. Something has to change soon or we will lose another room.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Side Pockets closed permanently a few months ago.

Stroker's changed to non smoking after reopening from COVID.

That is sad news. Wonder what they did with the tables?
They had a few old anniversary(?) tables that were really cool.
It was a good quiet place to bang balls if you weren't
feeling the "hustle and bustle" of Strokers.

Last edited:

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm at the age where I thinking about where I'm going to retire to. I checked out Myrtle Beach this year and I'm planning on making multiple trips to different places in the next few years. I like Arizona but I'm not keen on living that far west.

Wife likes the beach. So our next trip in 2 months will be Florida. She prefers the gulf side. She tells me St. Petersburg is nice. What is the pool scene like around there?

Any other suggestions in Florida? I'm trying to get this trip planned. Lol. (Miami and anywhere close to the Everglades are out. I don't feel like wrestling pythons out of my yard)

Sent from my SM-T727V using Tapatalk

The St Pete area has leagues in both pool halls with 9’ tables and in bars. Many of the pool hall still allow smoking, but some have gone smoke free very recently. Where I live, there are 4 pool halls within 15 minutes, and 8 pool halls within 30 minutes.

I live 2 miles from the Gulf. I highly recommend it.

Freddie <~~~ beach life

axejunkie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That is sad news. Wonder what they did with the tables?
They had a few old anniversary(?) tables that were really cool.
It was a good quiet place to bang balls if you weren't
feeling the "hustle and bustle" of Strokers.

Good question, I didn't go there regularly, only read about their closing on a Facebook page. Agree it is nice to have quieter room for a change of pace.

Cmbeers

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for all the info. Looks like we are going to book a trip to St. Pete in October.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk