Deal Gone Bad...I'll bend, but I will not be taken for a sucker.

Tro

Insert Clever Title Here
Silver Member
I did a trade deal a few weeks ago involving a late 70s Tad that I sent in to Tad and Fred Kohara for an LoA.

I traded the Tad for a Lambros + a little cash.

I got the Lambros, the other party got the Tad.

Upon receiving the Tad, he contacted me and verified that everything was good and we were good to go.

A week later I put the Lambros up for sale.

That same day I got an email which stated "my friend says these arent Tad shafts"

I said "Call Fred and Tad, they verified that they are".

Then it became "More friends say these aren't Tad shafts".

Again, I said..."Call the source..call Fred and Tad...nobody elses opinion matters."

He still didnt call them.

Then it became "I'm going to send the cue in for a refinish/rewrap/and new shafts...so I want the 300.00 back that was part of our deal"

First of all....I note EVERYTHING in my posts regarding cues I trade or sell. Secondly, the LoA CLEARLY STATED that the ONLY problems with the cue were that it was not an original wrap and it had been refinished at some point in it's life. This was ALL FINE until I posted the Lambros for sale.

To put an end to this, even though I was feeling like I was being taken for a ride, I agreed to send him his 300.00 to end this.

I get an email today...

"My friend said nice Tad, too bad the shaft is cracked, I'm sending the Tad back and I want the Lambros back."

I am going to publicly state this right now:

The Tad was fine when it went to Tad's shop to get authenticated, it was fine while it was in my possession, it was fine when it was shipped (And I wrap everything VERY WELL), and it was fine with the buyer until now. I will not, under any circumstances, take the Tad back with a cracked shaft as it did not leave my hands with a crack in it. I am mailing the $300.00 tomorrow, even though I know I'm being taken for a chump. That's it. You will not get anything more out of me.

Thanks,

Mike

8-ball Rat

I'll eat you alive.....
Silver Member
Just yesterday, I made a comment that the regularity of deals-on-bad had multiplied over the past couple years....and what USED to be a rare circumstance now seems to be a weekly event.

Case in point.....

Sorry to hear about this. That Tad was a nice one. Hope you get things resolved.

jemerson23

Shoot to Thrill
Silver Member
You are doing too much as is. I know how you deal, very upfront and honest.

Seems like he didn't know a value on his Lambros?

If everyone was scrutinizing these Tad shafts, how did a crack not get picked up before?

GL bud!

brandoncook26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would tell him to pound sand. Honestly, I can't believe you are sending him the $300. If Fred and Tad verified everything was good, he knew the wrap and refinish were not original when making the deal, then he doesn't have a leg to stand on.

I would tell him the deal is done, keep the cash and sell the Lambros. He told you everything was good when he received the cue. At that point, deal is done.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The truth doesn't help you if you don't legally protect yourself. It's important to consult with a lawyer before conducting these types of sales to make sure you cover yourself.

I think that before the deal you should have had an email confirmation from the buyer accepting your terms that he has a certain number of days to return the cue.

cuesmith

BEEN THERE, DONE THAT!
Silver Member
The truth doesn't help you if you don't legally protect yourself. It's important to consult with a lawyer before conducting these types of sales to make sure you cover yourself.

I think that before the deal you should have had an email confirmation from the buyer accepting your terms that he has a certain number of days to return the cue.

Fran, I'm sorry, but I must disagree. There is much too much consulting of lawyers now. That's one reason this country is on the rocks. Deals of this type need not involve a third party! About the only transaction that requires an attorney is the purchase of real estate and that's just because "people don't know what they don't know". They can't judge what they're getting in to because of all the issues and responsibilities involved. If you can't judge whether or not you like a cue without a lawyer guiding you, you're just too dumb to play pool anyway. And I certainly don't mean that personally.
Sherm

wambamcam

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Goodness, why on Earth would you be a sucker and send him back $300? Sounds like you owe him nothing...

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fran, I'm sorry, but I must disagree. There is much too much consulting of lawyers now. That's one reason this country is on the rocks. Deals of this type need not involve a third party! About the only transaction that requires an attorney is the purchase of real estate and that's just because "people don't know what they don't know". They can't judge what they're getting in to because of all the issues and responsibilities involved. If you can't judge whether or not you like a cue without a lawyer guiding you, you're just too dumb to play pool anyway. And I certainly don't mean that personally.
Sherm

I know what you're saying Sherm but it's the sad truth that we have to protect ourselves. If you're going to be in the business of buying and selling cues then you need to make sure that you are legally protected. All it takes is one consultation with a lawyer to learn what your rights are and what you should do to protect those rights in your transactions.

Even better, maybe you have a lawyer who is a friend who can sit down with you for free. But you have to know how to protect your rights or you can wind up in court and lose, even if you're in the right.

Last edited:

XPLAYHARDX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
$300 what for????

Sending this guy anything other than a postcard that says KISS OFF is way out of line in fact I think that would be a waste of the 32 cents.
earlier I wondered why one should be banned from this site and it seems to me that the clown you dealt with would measure up.
Again just my two cents

9ball_in_MN

speed kills
Silver Member
dont send this guy anything i mean what makes his friends experts on tad cues on top of that make him take pics of the cue and the cracks for your knowlage on cues you will know what happened if they are cracked

BryanB

Huge Balls
Silver Member
Sending this guy anything other than a postcard that says KISS OFF is way out of line in fact I think that would be a waste of the 32 cents.
earlier I wondered why one should be banned from this site and it seems to me that the clown you dealt with would measure up.
Again just my two cents

Where have you been ..stamps haven't been 32 cents in years. (45 now for a first class letter stamp) This guy only gets an e-mail at best

Last edited:

ctran

You watch me.
Silver Member
I think because you were too easy when agreeing to pay him back $300 that he thought he could get something more from you.

and the buyer put the $300 clause, to whatever he discovers about the shaft, into the deal in advance? did he knew he could get something from you already?

that $300 is yours to keep.

P/s: I am just posting on this because I loved that TAD you listed, I bookmarked the thread, as well as other threads of cues I like

Last edited:

Ill Gotten Gain

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Seller's remorse or a bad case of " Head Up His Ass", regardless you don't owe this guy anything. It's situations like this that I refrain from doing deals with members with little or no feedback. This ruins it for the good eggs trying to establish positive feedback as new members. I rather be safe than deal with headaches like this.

Russell Cues

Maverick Cue Builder
Silver Member
Don't send this idiot a dime! I just had the same type situation on flea bay. I sold a cue as used and even though it was like new the twerp said my wrap was sticking up! Wtf my wrap never sticks up anywhere. He probably got yelled at by his wife and tried t9 recover. You had a loa and described the Cue well , keep your money, like someone stated buyers remorse isn't covered. ! My humble opinion.

poolrod

I like old school
Silver Member
He really needs to pound sand, then read the LOA. His friend that cracked the ferrule can give him $300.:thumbup: