Need a rough value of a Gandy Big G 9'

Ring

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Black, Simonis 760 is in decent shape

The table is in decent shape. I dont know how old it is, but I would say about 10yrs

Ebay prices all over the place

Ring

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Need to add. Comes with light, Super Arimith balls, and a cue rack.

Cuedog

CUE BALL INCOMING!!!
Silver Member
Gandy

Does it have the pedestal (2 one piece fixtures) or four legs? Gold or silver trim? Slate not cracked? Score counters? Rack and bridge holders? Pockets and rails (true bounce when ball is banked) in good shape? Finally, do the return rails work properly?

The reason for all these questions, some of which you may not be able to answer, is because the Gandy Croporation is no longer in business, so the original parts may not be available. (If someone knows where to get available parts, please let me know.)

Gene

By the way...what is the seller asking for it?

Ring

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Its brown with the 2 feet thing. Slate is good condition and rails are tight. Estimated age is 15yrs old.

Drop pockets

He wants $1800, but should get for less

Grilled Cheese

p.i.i.t.h.
Silver Member
Hmm...$1,800. I personally wouldn't pay more than $900 for that table.

If I'm going to pay anything between $1,000 and $1,800...I'd rather find a couple of hundred bucks more and look for a Gold Crown. These can be found in varying condition all the way down to $1,700 (sometimes less), but expect it to be well worn. Still, I'd take a well worn Gold Crown over a decent shape Gandy anyday.

The Gold Crown is significantly more sturdy and quality than the Gandy. It is also such a solid standard that parts and other such issues are non-issues.

All the Gandy's that I've played on vibrate or shake a little when I lean really far over the table. That just bugs me so much. One major thing I look at in a table is how solid it is. I don't like tables that vibrate excessively when shooting or when balls hit rails. I absolutely cannot stand a table that I can feel movement in when I'm leaning against the rail for a shot.

NoBull9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You may have a Gandy Hustler table if the blinds are tapered in at the bottum rather then straight it a Hustler by Gandy.Gandy has reopened as American Airloom in McDonough Ga they sell direct.I don't think they build commercial table's anylonger.And if you need parts contact Aurora Roads Billiards I think they are located in Florida.Those tables sale from between 800to 2300 based on the condition around Atlanta.

smittie1984

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think 1500 would be a good price for that if you can get it down to that. But 1800 doesn't sound to bad either. I've always liked the Big Gs.

ABall

Right behind you...
Silver Member
I would have to agree with Bolo Ocho on this. I wouldn't want to pay more than $1200 for the Gandy. I think if you're going to pay any more than that then you should wait for a good deal on a Brunswick; I have seen them go for as low as $1500 for the GC IIs.

Craig Fales

Registered bubinga user
Silver Member
Offer $1000.00....if he doesn't bite I'd walk....
________

Last edited:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
$1,000 is a good price. The Big G is a decent table. $1,500 is definitley on the high side. The last one I bought I paid $500 for with all accesories.

Nowadays gold Crowns can be found for 2k and they are a step up in quality.
Just don't buy one that has been to beat up in a poolroom for 20-30 years.
You may have to replace the rails, rubber, facings, the works.

smittie1984

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ABall said:
I would have to agree with Bolo Ocho on this. I wouldn't want to pay more than $1200 for the Gandy. I think if you're going to pay any more than that then you should wait for a good deal on a Brunswick; I have seen them go for as low as $1500 for the GC IIs.

I'd prefer a Big G over a Gold Crown 2. most GC2s I've run across have manufactured slate. And pins connecting the slates. I have on occasion run across Gandy's with fake slate. But I don't recall any on a Big G.

I doubt you'll tell a difference between a Big G and a GC3. Both however are excellent tables. It's just which one you get a better price on.

Cuedog

CUE BALL INCOMING!!!
Silver Member
Both are good

Don't fall into that "If it ain't a crown or a diamond, it ain't no good" way of thinking.

I have both in my room and have held Major Pro-ams on Gandy's before I had Crowns and had zero complaints.

I literally went 20 feet away and leaned over one of my Gandys to check on what another poster wrote and did not see any sign of the table shaking much less vibrating "excessively". I had to actually give it a good bump to see only the slightest of vibration.

I will say, however, that the crowns had virtually no shake at all. Unless you're 400 lbs, the Gandy will hold true providing there has been no abuse and misuse.

I will also agree that the price of one should be around $1200.00 to $1500.00 depending on the condition. If the condition is questionable on ANY table, that table should be avoided and your search should continue. Be sure to leave some room in your final offer for any repairs or alterations you may want or need to make.

If you end up paying in the range I mentioned, you won't have gotten robbed. You certainly could wait around for a Crown to come available, but who knows when that will be and if it will suit you.

Finally, keep in mind that, because the Gandy Corporation has gone out of business, not all parts are available from Aurora Road Billiards (800-940-2837) or anywhere else for that matter. In other words, you probably won't need parts, but if you do, you may not be able to get them. Good luck.

Gene

Purdman

Banned
Gandy

Gandy Big "G"'s are a fine table. I have had one since 1999 and love it. I paid $1,800 for ut moved and set up without light. It plays better than any table in any pool hall around. There are 50 halls within 55 miles of my house if that tells you anything!!!:rolleyes:
Purdman:cool:

Craig Fales

Registered bubinga user
Silver Member
Purdman said:
It plays better than any table in any pool hall around. There are 50 halls within 55 miles of my house if that tells you anything!!!:rolleyes:
Where do you live...I need to move...:D
________

Last edited:

Ring

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Everybody, thank you for taking time to give advice.

I am going to see the man today and I feel well armed to conduct a transaction.

I will report happens. The only issues I foresee is if the guys doesnt feel a great need to sell it and would rather sit on it than take a lower number.

alpine9430

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Purdman said:
Gandy Big "G"'s are a fine table. I have had one since 1999 and love it. I paid $1,800 for ut moved and set up without light. It plays better than any table in any pool hall around. There are 50 halls within 55 miles of my house if that tells you anything!!!:rolleyes:
And the best kept table with clean billiard balls in this whole area is still at your house.
Come to think of it...I am due to come by and play a few.

Padron

Pool room owner
If anyone is interested, I have 4 Gandy G's available for sale in my poolroom near Erie, PA. Slates are perfect, as are rails. The brass pocket plates could use polishing. All parts included. Asking $950 each.

-Dan-
www.greatlakesbilliards.com

Ring

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok, I checked out the table. Its actually in pretty good shape. The veneer dosnt have any scratches or dings. All the rubber on the rails was tight. It was purchased new about 19yrs ago, was in a hall for about 15, in this guys basement for the rest.

Drop pockets. Both bridge racks on sturdy (my 4yr old wanted a better look at the table and stood up on it and more than held him).

It had 4 counters on the rail that worked and where still tight

Table didnt budge even a little bit when I bump it (and I dont bump lite).

1 inch slate 3 pieces. Comes with 3 kinda cheesy high chairs and 1 nice all wood high chair. 4 bulb light. 1 set of super aramith balls. 1 set of elephant beautiful balls that he said are the early balls that are better than the new stuff.

A string with beads. 2 cue racks.

Here is the better part. He is willing to take a trade for some cues. He might even pay some cash on top of the whole thing for a nice Scruggs that I got for sale.

Will let you all know more later

Padron

Pool room owner
Ring said:
Ok, I checked out the table. Its actually in pretty good shape. The veneer dosnt have any scratches or dings. All the rubber on the rails was tight. It was purchased new about 19yrs ago, was in a hall for about 15, in this guys basement for the rest.

Drop pockets. Both bridge racks on sturdy (my 4yr old wanted a better look at the table and stood up on it and more than held him).

It had 4 counters on the rail that worked and where still tight

Table didnt budge even a little bit when I bump it (and I dont bump lite).

1 inch slate 3 pieces. Comes with 3 kinda cheesy high chairs and 1 nice all wood high chair. 4 bulb light. 1 set of super aramith balls. 1 set of elephant beautiful balls that he said are the early balls that are better than the new stuff.

A string with beads. 2 cue racks.

Here is the better part. He is willing to take a trade for some cues. He might even pay some cash on top of the whole thing for a nice Scruggs that I got for sale.

Will let you all know more later

If I were more into cue trading, I would consider it, but for the tables and lights I have, I'd really prefer a cash deal. Let me know how it comes out, and if you're still interested, we'll arrange for you to see our tables.

-Dan-
www.greatlakesbilliards.com