Layered tips - what am I missing - HELP

PoolFan101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello ,

Since getting back into playing things have changed to do e degree. Back in my playing Days I preferred a nice Le Pro tip. It seems that they are not what they used to be In terms of Quality. Now layered tips seem to be the rage. My Son has a black kamui SS on his cue and I had a ultra skin black soft on mine. It seems we both seem to mid -cue a lot. More than should be. These tips have been on about 4 months. Is there some maintenance to these that I am missing. Do they need roughed up every week or so. Should we go to medium maybe as that is what is causing miscues. I really mis a good old plain leather tip sometimes, Is there one anymore that plays like it should. I have thought about switching to a medium tip. What do you guys recommend, also what is the best basic leather tip out there today. I feel like the tips are glazing over maybe. Just was not for sure how to maintain them. I thought these layered tip require less maintenance than a regular leather tip such as a Triangle or Elk master. Thanks for any help.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Stick with lepros or triangles
Quality is hit and miss but the good ones are great

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i almost never miscue with ultraskin soft, or with any other of toms soft tips for that matter. kamui i quit using because of miscues. i roughen and shape up every month or so

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
i almost never miscue with ultraskin soft, or with any other of toms soft tips for that matter. kamui i quit using because of miscues. i roughen and shape up every month or so
Same here with Ultraskin Hard tips. I Tip Pik 'em before playing every day and touch up the shape once a month or so. They last close to a year.

I think consistency is the main benefit of layered tips - consistency from tip to tip and over time with the same tip.

pj
chgo

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I never found a black laminated tip I like--they always mis-cued too often.

I have been using tan (pig skin) Talisman tips for over a decade (hard). These things last 1.5-2 years, only need maintenance 3-4 times a year, and in the dozen I have used, only one delaminated.

white1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ultra skin - I have one soft-1 medium

Shape monthly-pick it occasionally-no miscues. Great tips imo-on meucci

PoolFan101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Same here with Ultraskin Hard tips. I Tip Pik 'em before playing every day and touch up the shape once a month or so. They last close to a year.

I think consistency is the main benefit of layered tips - consistency from tip to tip and over time with the same tip.

pj
chgo

I thought you could not Tip pik a laminated tip as it would cause the layers to come apart. Or am I mistaken on that.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
two reasons not top related you miscue too often.

your stroke doesnt put the tip where you aimed.

people at home and the pool rooms now use ball polish which has silicone in it. which makes your tip slip when way out there.

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
two reasons not top related you miscue too often.

your stroke doesnt put the tip where you aimed.

people at home and the pool rooms now use ball polish which has silicone in it. which makes your tip slip when way out there.

It’s not always the stroke; sometimes it can be the tip too.

What about a guy who never miscues using a certain tip, then replaces to another one with the same shaft the he starts to miscue twice or thrice a day, did his stroke went bad all of a sudden right when he replaces tip? I don’t think so.

Happened to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I thought you could not Tip pik a laminated tip as it would cause the layers to come apart. Or am I mistaken on that.
I think that old myth came from mistaken technique: twisting or rubbing the points across the tip rather than poking them straight in and out.

pj
chgo

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Layered tips are garbage.
I have played with several different
ones and not one played better, lasted
longer, or was more consistent than a
cheap single layer tip.
The only reason to sell one of those tips,
in my opinion, is to say that you have something
different.
I get a triangle, lepro, or water buffalo.
Shape it once initially. Then, one more time
after about 12-24 hours of play. After that
I don't shape, scuff, or mess with the tip
for the next 2-3 years.
The glued layers of leather is the stupidest
idea since $30 chalk.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Layered tips are garbage.
I have played with several different
ones and not one played better, lasted
longer, or was more consistent than a
cheap single layer tip.
The only reason to sell one of those tips,
in my opinion, is to say that you have something
different.
I get a triangle, lepro, or water buffalo.
Shape it once initially. Then, one more time
after about 12-24 hours of play. After that
I don't shape, scuff, or mess with the tip
for the next 2-3 years.
The glued layers of leather is the stupidest
idea since $30 chalk.

Well said I agree.
And I've tried a lot of layered tips.
And the only difference I see is they cost more.
That being said there are some layered tips for $5 or so that were pretty good.
But $20 just for a tip plus install is nuts.
I get a Triangle installed at a local Billiards store (yeah we got a couple here in the big city)for $13.00 and next day service.

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
From my experience:

Used to love triangles. Then one day I tried a sniper tip (about 15 years ago). Loved the way it felt and the action I got on the ball. From this point on, I stayed with layed tips.

After Snipers I tried Kamui Blacks. Really liked them, for the same reason as snipers.

Then about 5 years ago, I feel the Kamui's started to feel too spongey. Not solid. Had a bad sound and a bad feel. Both the Blacks and the Clears. At this point I went back to Snipers.

Then about a year later, a few good friends recommended Dennis Searing's Precision Tips. (precisiontip.com). These were the best layered tips I have ever used. The feel of a solid tip, but with the performance of a layered. Been using the Precision Mediums for a few years now. Just last week I had a Sniper laying around and decided to give that a try again. After shooting with it for about half a day I told my cue guy to chop it off and put a Precision back on. Also told him that if I ever come to him with another tip, that isn't a precision, while precisions are still available, then slap me.

About an hour ago, I just ordered 5 more.

See my disclaimer.

gogg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Guess I have just been lucky so far.... the soft Kamui’s seem to really “grab” that cue ball to me.