How can we Noticeably increase our Sense of Feel and Touch in our Pool Game?

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The best way to increase feel is to sandpaper your fingers tips.

Suddenly, use some 60 grit and you'll immediately get a "surge" of feel/touch (and start looking for some Advil or Tylenol) or just feel for something that may potentially guide you to safety.

Ideally you'll want to see the shot predominantly when standing up so that you can connect the cue ball to the object ball (if you're not bleeding too badly.)

When you go down on the shot and touch your bridge hand to the table you want to shift into the feel/touch mode, if your fingers have regained some feeling.

So, how can you train yourself to have more feel and touch with bleeding fingers?

The way that I do this in pool is to deliberately twirl around in place a couple of times, yell, "Kawabunga!" and then quickly shoot... this forces you to use more instinct!

This does take away from your ability to "see" the shot and but makes it essential to "feel" the shot. It's great for instinct training and when you go back to your normal shooting position you'll have more feel and touch... once your fingers heal.

I suggest doing this for an hour straight, and just accept the pain. DO NOT get frustrated if you're bleeding all over the table, it's not about bleeding, it's about bleeding.

It helps to have good eyesight to play pool, but I've known exceptional shotmakers that win major tournaments that don't see well, but their hyper-sensitive finger tips, raw from using this method, makes them superb.

I have several other ways to increase YOUR feel/touch and fine tune YOUR instinct in my "Bleed for Pool series." Do you have any suggestions? I'm always willing to learn more.

Lou Figueroa

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Suddenly, use some 60 grit and you'll immediately get a "surge" of feel/touch (and start looking for some Advil or Tylenol) or just feel for something that may potentially guide you to safety.

Ideally you'll want to see the shot predominantly when standing up so that you can connect the cue ball to the object ball (if you're not bleeding too badly.)

When you go down on the shot and touch your bridge hand to the table you want to shift into the feel/touch mode, if your fingers have regained some feeling.

So, how can you train yourself to have more feel and touch with bleeding fingers?

The way that I do this in pool is to deliberately twirl around in place a couple of times, yell, "Kawabunga!" and then quickly shoot... this forces you to use more instinct!

This does take away from your ability to "see" the shot and but makes it essential to "feel" the shot. It's great for instinct training and when you go back to your normal shooting position you'll have more feel and touch... once your fingers heal.

I suggest doing this for an hour straight, and just accept the pain. DO NOT get frustrated if you're bleeding all over the table, it's not about bleeding, it's about bleeding.

It helps to have good eyesight to play pool, but I've known exceptional shotmakers that win major tournaments that don't see well, but their hyper-sensitive finger tips, raw from using this method, makes them superb.

I have several other ways to increase YOUR feel/touch and fine tune YOUR instinct in my "Bleed for Pool series." Do you have any suggestions? I'm always willing to learn more.

Lou Figueroa
Please let me know where you get your weed. Its obviously better than any i can find. ;)

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, I know, lol.

Don't know what came over me. Just scrolling through the front page of AZ and the muse struck.

Lou Figueroa

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Expect emails or PM's from Dr. Cues Protege, Jamie and whatever name Justin is using today, requesting lessons. But only for $8. an hour, no travel expenses, split the table time.

8cree

Reverse Engineer
Silver Member
Expect emails or PM's from Dr. Cues Protege, Jamie and whatever name Justin is using today, requesting lessons. But only for $8. an hour, no travel expenses, split the table time.
Ok, I laughed at that...

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Lou Figueroa

Not sure if this is a good thing or bad , but when I saw the original post ,I immediately thought of your solution, and considered answering with it, lol.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member

Lou Figueroa

Interesting, you sound like a safecracker I used to know. What did you say your job was?

michael4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Another way to increase feel is to actually touch all the balls before each shot, pick them up, hold them, feel them, and then replace them close to where they were.......:thumbup:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
It has been demonstrated that feel can be enhanced by juggling three magic eight balls while watching reruns of The Munsters.

kollegedave

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have easily played more pool with lfigueroa than any other opponent in my life.

The idea that he would yell, "kawabunga" before he shoots is akin to the Pope taking up pole dancing.

kollegedave

funny post Lou

td873

C is for Cookie
Silver Member
Lou doesn't tell the whole truth. This method ONLY works for me in 8-ball. ZERO improvement in my 9-ball game using this. And- if I could grade it LESS THAN ZERO for 9-ball, I would. You have to KNOW how it improves your play to understand which game to use it for. I would strongly recommend not using it for 9-ball. YMMV.

-td

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I'm not sure why you decided to involve me in a thread like this.

DCP

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Another way to increase feel is to actually touch all the balls before each shot, pick them up, hold them, feel them, and then replace them close to where they were.......:thumbup:

You could talk to them.

You know, get to know them better, not always be cussing at them.

Lou Figueroa
balls have
feelings too

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have easily played more pool with lfigueroa than any other opponent in my life.

The idea that he would yell, "kawabunga" before he shoots is akin to the Pope taking up pole dancing.

kollegedave

funny post Lou

You never know.

Lou Figueroa
where’s Father Guido Sarducci
when you need him

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lou doesn't tell the whole truth. This method ONLY works for me in 8-ball. ZERO improvement in my 9-ball game using this. And- if I could grade it LESS THAN ZERO for 9-ball, I would. You have to KNOW how it improves your play to understand which game to use it for. I would strongly recommend not using it for 9-ball. YMMV.

-td

True.

It sure hasn’t helped my 14.1 game.

Lou Figueroa