Ronnie O'sullivan green stuff "chalk"

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In an interview Ronnie spoke about trying out new chalk, he called it "white stuff" he mentioned that it's a toam brand, he said that he wanted to try the new white stuff and he thinks its ok, then during the match, he miscued 3 or 4 times, then he said that he didn't want to miscue anymore and went back to his green stuff, I'm assuming it's just a masters green chalk but in the yellow package, it is identical from the same company called Tweeten, both the red package and yellow package are made by Tweeten, its just packing different.

Ronnie says once he switched back to his normal green stuff, he didn't miscue. What do you guys think?

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In an interview Ronnie spoke about trying out new chalk, he called it "white stuff" he mentioned that it's a toam brand, he said that he wanted to try the new white stuff and he thinks its ok, then during the match, he miscued 3 or 4 times, then he said that he didn't want to miscue anymore and went back to his green stuff, I'm assuming it's just a masters green chalk but in the yellow package, it is identical from the same company called Tweeten, both the red package and yellow package are made by Tweeten, its just packing different.

Ronnie says once he switched back to his normal green stuff, he didn't miscue. What do you guys think?
Taom Pyro is easily the cleanest chalk on the market, but it most certainly does not adhere well to the cue tip. I tried it for 6 to 9 months myself, and finally switched, after having too many issues miscuing on some draw shots.

Yeah I know what many of you are thinking - it’s not the tip or the chalk causing my miscues. Just an excuse for a faulty stroke! Clearly no one can say that about Ronnie!

Last edited:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
The green chalk in the yellow wrapper is Triangle by Tweeten.
...works well in UK

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Taom Pyro is easily the cleanest chalk on the market, but it most certainly does not adhere well to the cue tip. I tried it for 6 to 9 months myself, and finally switched, after having too many issues miscuing on some draw shots.

Yeah I know what many of you are thinking - it’s not the tip or the chalk causing my miscues. Just an excuse for a faulty stroke! Clearly no one can say that about Ronnie!

Not me, I trust you! I know in this forum most people would blame stroke even though they haven't seen you or me play, but to me I trust what you said.

It's not always the stroke, as a matter of fact, it's mostly either the chalk or the tip, then finally maybe the stroke, that's for me.

I know for fact that I don't miscue for a year, literally speaking here, then I switch to some type of a new chalk or a new tip, then I miscue two or three times a set, did my stroke get bad suddenly or is it more likely that the cause is what was changed, i.e. tip or chalk, I think the later is more reasonably the cause.

Anyway, back to what Ronnie' says, I think it speaks volume.

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The green chalk in the yellow wrapper is Triangle by Tweeten.
...works well in UK

Ya I mentioned that it was made by Tweeten, it is the same company that produces Master chalk, also I know from an insider that the master and the yellow packing chalk ("Triangle" according to you), are both the same exact chalk, just a different wrap.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Ya I mentioned that it was made by Tweeten, it is the same company that produces Master chalk, also I know from an insider that the master and the yellow packing chalk ("Triangle" according to you), are both the same exact chalk, just a different wrap.

I think it’s a different mixture...I used blue Masters in the 80s and liked it...but in the UK
I found I miscued much less when whitey was froze with green Triangle.
I could shoot level with Triangle, had to jack up a bit with Masters,

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think it’s a different mixture...I used blue Masters in the 80s and liked it...but in the UK
I found I miscued much less when whitey was froze with green Triangle.
I could shoot level with Triangle, had to jack up a bit with Masters,

So you're saying that green triangle are better than blue masters when it comes to cueball on the rail shots and trying to shoot it level cue?

Have you tried the blue triangle then, I think you can buy it online, if its better than Masters then why not give it a try, and I say blue cause most of the pool tables are blue-clothed, so just that you don't make a mess with green dots.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
So you're saying that green triangle are better than blue masters when it comes to cueball on the rail shots and trying to shoot it level cue?

Have you tried the blue triangle then, I think you can buy it online, if its better than Masters then why not give it a try, and I say blue cause most of the pool tables are blue-clothed, so just that you don't make a mess with green dots.

I preferred blue Masters in North America...although I’ll use blue Triangle also...
..in England I much preferred green Triangle....I think it’s a climate thing.
In very dry places, I’ve never found a chalk I trust...I stay closer to center.
I use Magic Chalk now, but I haven’t played in the desert yet with it.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member

I'd expect them to be different. Tweeten makes many things in their factory. They make several different tips, and made several different chalk brands.

Geosnooker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Most British snooker players use Triangle. Few would claim it’s better than Masters . But rather Triangle Is just the popular brand used in the UK.

In our Snooker league (Canada) just about everyone uses Masters. Mostly because it just what is readily available.

I can’t tell any difference between the two.

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I said it many times. Taom is great but only with SOFT tips. with harder tips it wont give max grip due it wont stick well on hard surfaces.. like balls. I know the inventor and he said they have new Pyro formula that should address that grip problem and but only prototypes still..

RunEmOut08

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I said it many times. Taom is great but only with SOFT tips. with harder tips it wont give max grip due it wont stick well on hard surfaces.. like balls. I know the inventor and he said they have new Pyro formula that should address that grip problem and but only prototypes still..

I really like pyro for my home table to keep the table clean. I’m giving the mezz smart chalk a try at the pool hall just because I like the set up with the holder/magnets. Appears to cover well, but still need to do more testing.

Thunder Thighs

I'm your Huckleberry
Silver Member

Chalk has 1 job to do. If it doesn’t grip the ball, it doesn’t really matter if it keeps your table clean.

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
My experience is that Triangle is a little harder than Master. For me it is less likely to build a coat than Master. By that I mean it gives a nice uniform light coat. With Master it can get more than I want on the tip.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
My experience is that Triangle is a little harder than Master. For me it is less likely to build a coat than Master. By that I mean it gives a nice uniform light coat. With Master it can get more than I want on the tip.

Hm...do you think that’s why I like Triangle in Britain?
....I’ve used in in Nola and on the Redneck Riveira also....I hated it in Reno

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Chalk has 1 job to do. If it doesn’t grip the ball, it doesn’t really matter if it keeps your table clean.

it does keep grip. Just not perfect with hard tips(and that is IMO).
I don´t use it to keep table clean. I use it because then i don´t have any bad contacts between balls when playing. Just like many many snooker pros around the world.. and John Smith also made 626 when used that. I claim that he never made it if he did not switch to Taom. Bad contacts are N.1 enemy of long 14.1 runs.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
From Skip himself on Triangle vs Master: http://www.rulesofsnooker.com/the-chalk.html Different blends. I always found Triangle to be a tad 'softier/pastier' than Master. Not much but a little. I like Blue Diamond best followed by Magic then good 'ol Master. I live in a real humid area and Triangle just seems to soft at times. I don't play snooker or 3c btw.

Last edited:

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Most snooker players play with soft tips, especially ronnie I know he uses elkmaster tips which are very soft, so according to you it should grip? but it didn't.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Most snooker players play with soft tips, especially ronnie I know he uses elkmaster tips which are very soft, so according to you it should grip? but it didn't.
Ronnie has used Triangle chalk since he started. He's smart enough to know that if something else wasn't better immediately then go back to what has worked for ever. Elk's and Triangle have helped make him just a little pile of $$.

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
I don't understand people using Master. You all say it's cheap and given for free at pool balls and bars but why not spend a few dollars. I mean you paid for your cue, give it good chalk.

I use Great White OG Thresher and can't see myself using anything else. For cosmetic grade it's cheaper than it's competition and I chalk once per inning and never have any issues. Could be 1 shot, could be 20, but never enters my mind to have to worry about it.