Efren to play in Predator World 14.1 Tournament

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
Queens, New York - Finally! The Magician will weave his magic for the very first time in a world competition for straight pool. 14.1 fans will be going crazy to see Efren showing his cue ball mastery in the ultimate game of patterns and control. Reyes can be seen at the Predator 72nd World Tournament starting on July 29th - August 3rd, 2012 at Carom Cafe in New York City. Fans and players alike can checkout www.Worldstraightpool.com for exclusive interviews with the pro stars, and all the latest and even archive news of the World Tournament. Dragon Promotions in conjunction with Dr. Michael Fedak is bringing the greatest straight pool players in the world to the greatest 14.1 event existing.

"Efren is a legendary talent and he represents a nation that has risen to the very top of the pool world. His presence at the tournament raises the temperature of the competition, the enthusiasm of the fans, and enhances its stature as a true world class tournament," said Dr. Fedak, the World Tournament's main benefactor.
Efren Reyes will be representing the Philippines during the event on which has had close calls, but no Filipino Champion yet. Dennis Orcullo got a Bronze in 2008 while Francisco Bustamante finished with a Silver in 2009. Can Efren be the one who finally clinches it for his country?
Philippines pro sports analyst Bob Guerrero of Yahoo! Sports Philippines says: "I read he made a century run in a 14.1 tournament years ago. He could do it again. Straight pool may not be his game, but for sure he can figure it out and go deep, just like Dennis Orcullo and Django Bustamante have done before at the World Tournament. 14.1 is the easiest game and the hardest game rolled into one. But one thing is sure, Efren is still a top 10 favorite to win. He's so experienced that I'm certain he will be fine."

Japan's top billiard site journalist Takao Takayama of www.onthehill.jp concurs:"Efren is an older player, so it is difficult for him to pot long distance shots. But in 14.1, with more balls on the table, he will play better. The math for Efren is this; 10-ball better than 9-ball, 8-ball better than 10-ball, and 14.1 better than 8ball. He won't leave himself many difficult shots. So of course he has a chance. If he wins, I will not be surprised at all." Japan will be having their national Japan 14.1 tournament this weekend and the top winner will likely attend the Predator World Tournament.

"It's really exciting to have Efren playing in our World Tournament for the first time. Everyone we have spoken to about it so far have been absolutely ecstatic that they get to watch the greatest player alive performing the art of straight pool," said Cindy Lee, CEO of Dragon Promotions. This is the seventh year in a row Dragon Promotions has produced the event in 14.1's one hundred year history.

The Official Equipment of the World Tournament is Olhausen Tables, Championship Cloth, Kamui Chalk, and Predator Cues.

Tickets will be sold at the door during the event. Tickets for the Straight Pool Hall of Fame Banquet can be bought in advance online at www.worldstraightpool.com

The complete listing of this year's roster of players will be on www.worldstraightpool.com soon, as well as quotes and tip from your favorite star players such as Johnny Archer, Thorsten Hohmann, Darren Appleton, Mika Immonen, John Schmidt, Efren Reyes, Allen Hopkins, Stephan Cohen, Charlie Williams and many, many more. The site also contains all the info on purchasing tickets for the event, The 14.1 Hall of Fame Banquet, and discounted hotel reservations at the Sheraton Hotel where the event takes place. During the event, daily updates will be added every few hours so fans can keep up with all the latest results and exciting stories. The site will also have the official brackets and tournament charts from the round robin through the end final single elimination charts.

Daily match times and complete tournament schedule will also be on the site.

Get the latest news by following http://www.facebook.com/Worldstraightpool and www.twitter.com/Dragonpromoter

Venue and Hotel: Host location: Carom Café – 3402 Linden Place – Flushing NY 11354 (718) 358-5467
Sheraton LaGuardia East Hotel 135-20 39th Ave, Flushing New York 11354 (718)460-6666
Group Code: Dragon Promotions Group Rate $169 Rates good through July 8th only.

The 2012 Predator World Tournament is proudly co-sponsored by Championship Cloth, Olhausen Tables, Amsterdam Billiards, Aramith Balls, Pool & Billiard Magazine, Kamui Brand, and straight pool aficionados Dr.Louis Pannullo of NYC, Stu Mattana of NYC, Ralph Rubin of MD, and Tom Gleich of NC. Co-contributors Dr.James Heller and Charles Eames. For more information on player registration, sponsorship, or if you would like to submit a comment, please email worldstraightpoolchampionships@gmail.com or contact Dragon Promotions at 1-407-782-4978.
Full event info is now at www.Worldstraightpool.com and more info on www.dragonpromotions.com

Attachments

• 287784_309496295806641_71699658_o.jpg
    287784_309496295806641_71699658_o.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 681

Kevin Lindstrom

14.1 Addict
Silver Member
Will there be a live streaming of this event? Will it be pay per view and or free? If so can someone provide a link. If no live streaming I may have to try to attend this event.

Thanks

Kevin

George Fels

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Efren Reyes

It's great news, Dennis, but it's not his first time in such a tournament. He finished second to Soquet in 2000 in NY, in a meet sponsored by Blatt Billiards and played at Roseland. (Blatt lost their asses on this and vowed never to be in the same position again.) Efren made a break shot on Sigel that even had Sigel laughing in amazement! GF

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
2000 US Open

It's great news, Dennis, but it's not his first time in such a tournament. He finished second to Soquet in 2000 in NY, in a meet sponsored by Blatt Billiards and played at Roseland. (Blatt lost their asses on this and vowed never to be in the same position again.) Efren made a break shot on Sigel that even had Sigel laughing in amazement! GF

Preserved for posterity by Accustats:

http://www.1vshop.com/Accu-Stats/st...0605&PNAME=Efren+Reyes+vs.++Mike+Sigel*+(DVD)

Reyes also played Dallas West and did not know that he was not supposed to hit the cue ball with his ferrule while doing an intentional foul. He was penalized 30 points and had to re-break.

http://www.1vshop.com/Accu-Stats/st...0607&PNAME=Efren+Reyes+vs.+Dallas+West*+(DVD)

Here is the Reyes/ Souquet match, but it was a semi-final.

http://www.1vshop.com/Accu-Stats/st...NAME=Ralf+Souquet+vs.+Efren+Reyes+(SF)*+(DVD)

The above verbiage was straight from a Dragon press release and I think they are differentiating between what they call a World event and the US Open event back in 2000.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member

Actually, Min Wai Chin came second to Ralf Souquet and Efren was third in the 2000 event.

Reyes if memory serves, also played in the 1993 US Open 14.1 event.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
There is a rumour that Earl is staying in NYC for the summer. Now this news of Efren being in the area as well, makes for a interesting and hot summer.

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
If memory serves Efren also played well in the Maine Event 14.1 Tournament they had back in the mid 90s. I have a couple of the tapes from Accu-Stats. Early played in that one as well. Needless to say it was...interesting. Very cool that Efren is going to play in the World Tournament though.

nashville14:1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
scheduling: tunica & queens

i wonder if there will be lots of top players in Tunica MS. That tourney ends 7/28, but it has no scheduled 14.1 matches that i can find out about. maybe the top pros wont even be in MS. Seems like some top players would like to play both. but seems like unfortunate scheduling to me. does play actually start on 7/29 in queens? am i right that the top 14.1 players play other games a lot more than they play 14.1..they must.
jr

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... The above verbiage was straight from a Dragon press release and I think they are differentiating between what they call a World event and the US Open event back in 2000.

Does Dragon include past US Open 14.1 events when they claim that last year's event was the 71st World Tournament? If so, then Reyes has played in the past.

Last edited:

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In the video of the Maryland event which Efren won he stopped to ask the referee what the rule was once, I believe it was what happened if he left the cue ball in the rack.

Didn't know the rules but won the tournament against a top field.

21whiskey

Banned
i'd like to be there

event will be huge, ambiance of room and audience will be Taxing.
he's going to be tight.

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
Will there be a live streaming of this event? Will it be pay per view and or free? If so can someone provide a link. If no live streaming I may have to try to attend this event.

Thanks

Kevin

I sure don't follow the politics of all this streaming stuff, and I don't know if there will or won't be a live stream, but I'll tell you what ...

If there is no live stream, it is surely because of a selfish act on the part of whomever is disallowing it, in one political way or another, and we the lovers of the game, suffer for it.

21whiskey

Banned
I sure don't follow the politics of all this streaming stuff, and I don't know if there will or won't be a live stream, but I'll tell you what ...

If there is no live stream, it is surely because of a selfish act on the part of whomever is disallowing it, in one political way or another, and we the lovers of the game, suffer for it.

some will appreciate what i'm about to suggest, some wont.

let's do it old school and fill our boots with gear enough to transmit live right out of the box!

maldito

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If memory serves Efren also played well in the Maine Event 14.1 Tournament they had back in the mid 90s. I have a couple of the tapes from Accu-Stats. Early played in that one as well. Needless to say it was...interesting. Very cool that Efren is going to play in the World Tournament though.

I think this was Efren's and Strickland's first 14.1 tournament and Efren won it defeating CJ Wiley. Those are good accu-stat tapes and my favorite one is Nick Vlahos vs Earl Strickland alot of safety moves by Vlahos.