odd/irregular length playing cue questions

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm 6'4" and my arms are *very* long, My hand is 2 hands behind the balance point and my upper arm is horizontal in relation to the floor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_fF7eWaEbY

I used to be 6'4" in my younger years, but due to back problems, now stand closer to 6'2" or 3" on a good day. I also used to kick box and know my wingspan is 78", that part hasn't changed.

Here is a pic of me playing with a 60" cue, the butt cap is about halfway through my grip hand. If I were to grip '2 hands' past the balance point, my bridge length would be 2" or so if that. And I dont get anywhere near as low on the cue as most of the players do these days.

41923759985_5042abb906_b.jpg

Just to note, my avatar is me playing with a 58" cue, notice my grip hand having to be forward a couple of inches of the bottom of the pendulum.

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One more hand, I would still only have a 5 inch bridge that's a little short if you ask me.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Do not let somebody to confuse you. Players do not read the books how to grip the cue, how to stand and so on. They know what feels wright for them that's why they are where they are... You should be able to have natural good follow through when you shoot with no need to work with your upper arm.
One more advantage to look for 30" butt you may discover 60" cue is just enough for you. It seems to me 1" is not as much difference when it comes to you and if me 6,5 tall guy could be able to play fairly good with 60" cue it could work for you too. Good luck:)

Last edited:

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member
I used to be 6'4" in my younger years, but due to back problems, now stand closer to 6'2" or 3" on a good day. I also used to kick box and know my wingspan is 78", that part hasn't changed.

Here is a pic of me playing with a 60" cue, the butt cap is about halfway through my grip hand. If I were to grip '2 hands' past the balance point, my bridge length would be 2" or so if that. And I dont get anywhere near as low on the cue as most of the players do these days.

41923759985_5042abb906_b.jpg

Just to note, my avatar is me playing with a 58" cue, notice my grip hand having to be forward a couple of inches of the bottom of the pendulum.

You got @ 15" of cue sticking out in the front, there, sparky! You'll poke someone's eye out with that! :eek: And nice GC. I wish I had me one. Me and my little wheelchair would be WHIZZIN around that thing.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You'll poke someone's eye out with that! :eek:

Thats what she said. :thumbup:

Here is a pic when I still played with regular shafts and not Predator shafts. Notice how much shorter my average bridge length is. I wonder if there is a correlation? :thumbup:

42108151484_c492c43aa1_b.jpg

Oddly enough, they guy Im playing in these videos, is the same guy who was giving me 10-6 at one hole. :grin:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iK19aiGRGmY

Michael Andros

Silver Member
Thats what she said. :thumbup:

Here is a pic when I still played with regular shafts and not Predator shafts. Notice how much shorter my average bridge length is. I wonder if there is a correlation? :thumbup:

42108151484_c492c43aa1_b.jpg

Oddly enough, they guy Im playing in these videos, is the same guy who was giving me 10-6 at one hole. :grin:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iK19aiGRGmY

And I notice you'e playing 9ball. Don't tell me... he got tired of 10-6 pretty quick.

You still play with an LD, Chuck?

Are you straight in on that ball? You're using bottom left. You going low around the horn ( if you have the angle )? Or are you drawing the rock straight back the long three rails... if so, you must have a realllll purty stroke.

Last edited:

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And I notice you'e playing 9ball. Don't tell me... he got tired of 10-6 pretty quick.

You still play with an LD, Chuck?

Yes to the LD, I fookin hated them at first until a buddy of mine who had played with them for a long time explained why I was having issues with them, and how to use them in a better way. I gave them another go and the lightbulb came on in my head. :thumbup:

Here is the build up to the 10-6 story.

Cliff Joyner and Tony Chohan came to Alaska in 2008. While they could have just decided to take a vacation there, smart money was betting that they were brought in to snap off one guy who owned some car lots and who was known to be an asshole at times.

Literally their first night in Alaska, at the biggest pool hall in town at the time, one of the locals stood up and said, "Thats Cliff Joyner! He is number 3 in the world at one pocket, dont play him for money." or something of the like. Their trip was pretty much ruined from a money aspect at that point.
https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=94970

So Cliff and Tony started coming over to a buddy of mines place, Action Billiards. Over the course of the next week or however long they were there, Cliff was giving up one pocket spots like 10-5 and 12-3 etc to some of the better players in town and of course still collecting the dough. World class versus State class is a mismatch with damn near any spot. Tony was taking the 9 ball action and leaving Cliff the one pocket players. I played Cliff some 9 ball to see if I could pick up on any routes etc I normally didnt shoot or know, but had no interest in getting horsefooked at one hole. Watching him slaughter everyone else was enough for me. ;)

All the while, my buddy (the guy in the video, who I gave spots to from time to time playing 9 ball to keep the action going) was hanging out with Cliff and Tony. Like glued at the hip. Cliff sold him some instructional videos he had made, and showed him some shots. Of course that means you can beat anyone after watching a video and learning a few fancy shots that rarely come up. My buddy saw that I would only play them 9 ball, and took that to mean I couldn't play one pocket.

After the pool action dried up for the guys, they hit the card games around town etc before leaving. After they left, my buddy started trying to get me to play him one pocket with him. I kindly explained to him that his newly found knowledge of the game surely surpassed mine (after all, I only grew up in Kentucky and got to watch guys like Nick Varner play since I was a kid), and that a spot would be needed to make a fair game. I was only expecting a ball, maybe 2.

10-6, you got 10-6 motherfugger. were the next words out of his mouth.

giphy.gif

Michael Andros

Silver Member
Yes to the LD, I fookin hated them at first until a buddy of mine who had played with them for a long time explained why I was having issues with them, and how to use them in a better way. I gave them another go and the lightbulb came on in my head. :thumbup:

Here is the build up to the 10-6 story.

Cliff Joyner and Tony Chohan came to Alaska in 2008. While they could have just decided to take a vacation there, smart money was betting that they were brought in to snap off one guy who owned some car lots and who was known to be an asshole at times.

Literally their first night in Alaska, at the biggest pool hall in town at the time, one of the locals stood up and said, "Thats Cliff Joyner! He is number 3 in the world at one pocket, dont play him for money." or something of the like. Their trip was pretty much ruined from a money aspect at that point.
https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=94970

So Cliff and Tony started coming over to a buddy of mines place, Action Billiards. Over the course of the next week or however long they were there, Cliff was giving up one pocket spots like 10-5 and 12-3 etc to some of the better players in town and of course still collecting the dough. World class versus State class is a mismatch with damn near any spot. Tony was taking the 9 ball action and leaving Cliff the one pocket players. I played Cliff some 9 ball to see if I could pick up on any routes etc I normally didnt shoot or know, but had no interest in getting horsefooked at one hole. Watching him slaughter everyone else was enough for me. ;)

All the while, my buddy (the guy in the video, who I gave spots to from time to time playing 9 ball to keep the action going) was hanging out with Cliff and Tony. Like glued at the hip. Cliff sold him some instructional videos he had made, and showed him some shots. Of course that means you can beat anyone after watching a video and learning a few fancy shots that rarely come up. My buddy saw that I would only play them 9 ball, and took that to mean I couldn't play one pocket.

After the pool action dried up for the guys, they hit the card games around town etc before leaving. After they left, my buddy started trying to get me to play him one pocket with him. I kindly explained to him that his newly found knowledge of the game surely surpassed mine (after all, I only grew up in Kentucky and got to watch guys like Nick Varner play since I was a kid), and that a spot would be needed to make a fair game. I was only expecting a ball, maybe 2.

10-6, you got 10-6 motherfugger. were the next words out of his mouth.

giphy.gif

"I'll give you 10 to 6."

'Nah, I'll take 9 to 7."

"You got 10 to 6."

"But all I want ( or, need, to clean YOUR clock, sportster ) is 9 to 7."

"You got 10 to 6! Bet It UP!!!"

But... all I want is, ummm... 9 t"

YOU GOT 10 TO 6!!! NOW BET!!!"

"But, dude... I don't WANT 10 to 6... you're my friend. You have bills to pay, sick kids, an aged mother-in-law to feed an house. I'll take 10 to 8."

"YOU GET 10 TO 6 or I AIN'T PLAYIN!!!"

Sighing... "Rack 'em."

And the rest, as they say... is history.

Somewhere far off in the night... a dog howls...

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"I'll give you 10 to 6."

'Nah, I'll take 9 to 7."

"You got 10 to 6."

"But all I want ( or, need, to clean YOUR clock, sportster ) is 9 to 7."

"You got 10 to 6! Bet It UP!!!"

But... all I want is, ummm... 9 t"

YOU GOT 10 TO 6!!! NOW BET!!!"

"But, dude... I don't WANT 10 to 6... you're my friend. You have bills to pay, sick kids, an aged mother-in-law to feed an house. I'll take 10 to 8."

"YOU GET 10 TO 6 or I AIN'T PLAYIN!!!"

Sighing... "Rack 'em."

And the rest, as they say... is history.

Somewhere far off in the night... a dog howls...

Somewhat LOL

To the point in red, that really wasnt a concern. He had a good amount of uh, disposable income. :thumbup:

My wife and I were having problems at the time largely due to the stress and bullshit at my job. I got the sense she was leaving me, so I needed to pump up my wallet to get out of there.

I beat him out of around 9 bags of jelly beans in about 2 months time. :angel:

Up until that point I kept things slow. Another buddy of ours, "Black Al" Bryan, a former low level pro player who got his head ran over by a F150 at the Bush Company about 6 months before, was clipping him for 6-700 a week, while I was only taking 3-500 a week. When my sense of urgency money wise increased though, we went from 100 sets of 9 ball to 500 sets. :thumbup:

To note, the guy wasnt helpless. He just had deep pockets and zero fooks to give. He was the winner in this one. ;)
https://forums.azbilliards.com/showpost.php?p=4579117&postcount=22

Michael Andros

Silver Member
Somewhat LOL

To the point in red, that really wasnt a concern. He had a good amount of uh, disposable income. :thumbup:

My wife and I were having problems at the time largely due to the stress and bullshit at my job. I got the sense she was leaving me, so I needed to pump up my wallet to get out of there.

I beat him out of around 9 bags of jelly beans in about 2 months time. :angel:

Up until that point I kept things slow. Another buddy of ours, "Black Al" Bryan, a former low level pro player who got his head ran over by a F150 at the Bush Company about 6 months before, was clipping him for 6-700 a week, while I was only taking 3-500 a week. When my sense of urgency money wise increased though, we went from 100 sets of 9 ball to 500 sets. :thumbup:

To note, the guy wasnt helpless. He just had deep pockets and zero fooks to give. He was the winner in this one. ;)
https://forums.azbilliards.com/showpost.php?p=4579117&postcount=22

I miss action... doesn't exist anymore around this neck o the woods. One of the regulars at the room clips the kids giving up ridiculous games at 1hole but they don't bet much, or for very long. That's about the extent of it. And there's some 1hole action around the area but not much and not for much. A few 9ball games. But it's nothing like it used to be. At all...

Last edited:

tjlmbklr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes to the LD, I fookin hated them at first until a buddy of mine who had played with them for a long time explained why I was having issues with them, and how to use them in a better way. I gave them another go and the lightbulb came on in my head.

Care to elaborate on the secret to liking the LD shaft more?

Last edited:

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Care to elaborate on the secret to liking the LD shaft more?

I cant say if the benefits for me would be the same for you as I havent seen you play to see how you do things. But here is one of the biggest reasons.

Aiming and english. No longer a need for tuck and roll/bhe. When I first tried ld shafts, I kept the shorter bridge, used t&r and couldn't make a ball to save myself with side spin.

After it was explained to me, how I see/aim shots (a self taught version of shaft aiming), its not needed with the ld shafts. This allows for me to do a quick double check to see if Im are pointed in the correct direction (verify my shot picture), maybe a practice stroke or 2 to make sure Im are stroking on the line good. Then the only focus becomes stroking straight through the ball cleanly at the proper speed.

This one aspect alone eliminated all superfluous wrist action which is obviously beneficial.

I had to relearn the "shot pictures" I had memorized to include shots aimed with ld shaft english, but after that for me, it just comes down to repetition of execution.

tjlmbklr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My recommendation for a 61" cue - which is what I play with - a Mezz MSP (sneaky pete model), upgraded to a low deflection Mezz EXPro 30" shaft, and add a Mezz 2" butt extension. I'm 6'5", and I love mine. You will not regret this purchase, although it may cost you $650 to $700.

Can you send me a pic of this all together and the pieces taken apart laying side by side, please? I'd like to get a better idea what it all looks like.

Thanks.

How does the Mezz stack up for LD to the Meucci, Predator (not the Revo) and OB shafts?

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can you send me a pic of this all together and the pieces taken apart laying side by side, please? I'd like to get a better idea what it all looks like.

Thanks.

How does the Mezz stack up for LD to the Meucci, Predator (not the Revo) and OB shafts?
I'm sure Mezz produce some great LD shafts. They have very positive feedback and reviews. I like their construction they are made of solid maple and should have greater feedback when it comes to the feeling and their LD properties are also very good at least.
I'm also sure there are custom cue makers who can make you one for the amount of money of production shafts. At least the shaft I've built for myself has very similar deflection with 314/2:smile: https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=463154

Last edited:

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thanks.

IMO, the Mezz ExPro shaft is the best LD shaft out there - right up there with the Revo for low deflection but far better feel / feedback. You can go to the Mezzusa.com website to check out all their cues, shafts and various length extenders. Sorry, but I don't know how to upload photos taken to a post.

tjlmbklr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IMO, the Mezz ExPro shaft is the best LD shaft out there - right up there with the Revo for low deflection but far better feel / feedback. You can go to the Mezzusa.com website to check out all their cues, shafts and various length extenders. Sorry, but I don't know how to upload photos taken to a post.
No worries about the photos, although it would have been nice. I use the Tapatalk app and it makes posting on forums so much easier when using a smartphone. If you have a good phone you could take the photos with it and you can post the pictures right from it.

Android version https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.quoord.tapatalkpro.activity