$4000 Billiard University (BU) Exam I 100 Challenge

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
The Billiard University (BU) just announced an Exam challenge with money prizes. Here it is:
$4000 Billiard University (BU) Exam I 100 Challenge.

You just need to post a video of yourself taking BU Exam I (Fundamentals Exam). There is no cost to enter. We are paying out $4000 to the top three scores (including a $500 bonus available for a perfect score of 100).

The Challenge video describes how to enter and runs through the entire Exam.

I hope some AZB'ers win some of the money. I just posted a video with a score of 82 to give you guys something to beat. My goal is to reach 90 before the end of the contest, and I really hope somebody (maybe a pro) can post a perfect score of 100. Hopefully, the $2500 top prize is high enough to attract some top players, given that no travel or other expenses are required.

The BU Exams are excellent practice and I always feel my game elevate a little when I dedicate focused practice time to the Exams.

Good luck and have fun,
Dave

Last edited:

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I'm only asking because a Gandy 9ft with 5" corner pockets and 5 1/2" side pockets is not going to play anywhere near that of a Diamond 9ft with 4 1/2" corner pockets and 5" sides....might just as well be playing on a 7ft Valley in comparison:rolleyes:

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
So, any size table, with any size pockets is OK to use for taking the test??
If you read the detailed instructions at the bottom of the linked page, you will see that a 9' or larger table is required, with everything in the standard regulation specs range.

Regardless, with Exam I, the pocket size is not that important (except maybe with the ball pocketing drill, which is only 10 of the 100 points, all of which should be automatic for any good player focusing on the shots, unlike me in the first video I posted).

I hope you and others give it a try.

Regards,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Do you guys think the $2500 first prize is high enough to encourage some top players to give it a go, especially since no travel or other expense is required?

Thanks,
Dave

PS: If you guys know some pros personally, please encourage them to enter the challenge. And if they don't know how to record and post video, please help them (or find somebody to help).

The Billiard University (BU) just announced an Exam challenge with money prizes.
Here it is: $4000 Billiard University (BU) Exam I 100 Challenge.

You just need to post a video of yourself taking BU Exam I (Fundamentals Exam). There is no cost to enter. We are paying out $4000 to the top three scores (including a $500 bonus available for a perfect score of 100).

I hope some AZB'ers win some of the money. I just posted a video with a score of 82 to give you guys something to beat. My goal is to reach 90 before the end of the contest, and I really hope somebody (maybe a pro) can post a perfect score of 100. Hopefully, the $2500 top prize is high enough to attract some top players, given that no travel or other expenses are required.

The BU Exams are excellent practice and I always feel my game elevate a little when I dedicate focused practice time to the Exams.

Good luck and have fun,
Dave

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very nice and in principle I like what you're trying to do.

But what some players have available are very tight, very finicky, 9' Diamonds, or even GCs set up to very tight specs. Given that type of equipment, why would someone try and compete against another player shooting on a table with far more forgiving pockets. As you would know, how much wiggle room you have on the pockets makes difference, not only pocketing the balls, but playing position.

I don't think it can ever be a fair, universal test.

Lou Figueroa

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member

But what some players have available are very tight, very finicky, 9' Diamonds, or even GCs set up to very tight specs. Given that type of equipment, why would someone try and compete against another player shooting on a table with far more forgiving pockets. As you would know, how much wiggle room you have on the pockets makes difference, not only pocketing the balls, but playing position.

Lou Figueroa
Have you tried Exam I on different equipment? I have, and the equipment doesn't seem to make much difference to me (except on the ball-pocketing drill, which isn't a problem for top players).

Exam II is a different story, especially the Doctorate Exam, where equipment can make a big difference with all of the run-out drills, safety shots, elevated cue shots, tough banks, and jumps.

I hope you give Exam I a go. You should have a shot at the cash, especially if we don't get any top pros participating.

Good luck,
Dave

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Lou Figueroa

Who cares?

It's a free roll.

gutshot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Exactly! Typical of the billiard world. They get free money dangled in front of their faces but all the want to do is make excuses. Next people with want divisions for "pros" and amateurs or divisions based on fargo rate to make it fair for them to get free money.

Who cares?

It's a free roll.

smashmouth

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Lou Figueroa

seriously? wow *shakes head"

smashmouth

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Exactly! Typical of the billiard world. They get free money dangled in front of their faces but all the want to do is make excuses. Next people with want divisions for "pros" and amateurs or divisions based on fargo rate to make it fair for them to get free money.

correct, i've known people like this in real life, you see it in corporate often, give em an opportunity at something in a win win scenario and always.....doubt, negativity, etc....

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Yes. Free money is what it's all about.

Lou Figueroa
for some

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
correct, i've known people like this in real life, you see it in corporate often, give em an opportunity at something in a win win scenario and always.....doubt, negativity, etc....

Yep. And then there are those guys that only care about the free roll. God forbid anyone should ask pertinent questions.

I wish Dr. Dave & Co. all the best with their exam. I can't wait to see the scores you and a couple of udder guys -- who are all about the cash -- post up with your videos.

Lou Figueroa

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member

Lou Figueroa
for some
If you think I will make money (even indirectly) off of this Challenge, you are not as smart as I thought you were. The BU is not a money-making venture. I thought it might be when Randy Russel and I first brainstormed the concept, but it hasn’t worked out as well as we had hoped. If you calculate my hourly rate based on the amount of time I have put into the BU for the limited profit, the rate would probably be in the pennies!

My only goal with this new BU Challenge is to see how high people can push the top Exam I score by providing a decent incentive.

If I misinterpreted the tone of your messages in this thread, I apologize and I look forward to seeing a high-score video from you.

Catch you later,
Dave

Last edited:

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you think I will make money (even indirectly) off of this Challenge, you are not as smart as I thought you were. The BU is not a money-making venture. I thought it might be when Randy Russel and I first brainstormed the concept, but it hasn’t worked out as we hoped. If you calculate my hourly rate based on the amount of time I have put into the BU for the limited profit, the rate would probably be in the pennies!

My only goal with this new BU Challenge is to see how high people can push the top Exam I score by providing a decent incentive.

If I misinterpreted the tone of your messages in this thread, I apologize and I look forward to seeing a high-score video from you.

Catch you later,
Dave

If you think I was referring to you making money then you are not as smart as I thought you were. I was responding to those that were insinuating that the money you were offering should be sufficient motivation to participate and make questioning the exam conditions verboten.

Thanks for the apology, after the insult was delivered, but this type of activity does not interest me. Good luck with the exam.

Lou Figueroa

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I was responding to those that were insinuating that the money you were offering should be sufficient motivation to participate
I’ll be curious to hear what others think about this. How much do you and others think is enough to attract top players?

and make questioning the exam conditions verboten.
Again, as long as the table is 9’, I don’t think pocket toughness is much of a factor with a Exam I, but I’m curious to hear what others think about this too. Regardless, people can use whatever table they want; so if a table is too tight, do the challenge on a different table.

Thanks for the input and feedback from you and others,
Dave

Last edited:

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
I’ll be curious to hear what others think about this. How much do you and others think is enough to attract top players?

Again, as long as the table is 9’, I don’t think pocket toughness is much of a factor with a Exam I, but I’m curious to here what others think about this too. Regardless, people can use whatever table they want; so if a table is too tight, do the challenge on a different table.

Thanks for the input and feedback from you and others,
Dave

Correct Dave, the pockets have little to do with it. None of the shots are extremely difficult, you know what the shot is, and making the ball even on a tight table should not be a problem.

Thus far the cue ball control is the most difficult part in getting a high score. Making the balls is the easy part ;)

That damn draw test is a b1tch, lol Seem to always miss by an inch or so on all 3 sides...hard to get a high score on that one :(

But, what great practice this test is. Excellent.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member

Lou Figueroa
for some

Free money and a free drill for anyone that wants to practice a terrific drill that replicates the shots one will need in actual competition. What else should it be about?

Not as easy as it looks on paper. But no worries Lou, not much chance you're taking down the cheese on this free roll ;)

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Correct Dave, the pockets have little to do with it. None of the shots are extremely difficult, you know what the shot is, and making the ball even on a tight table should not be a problem.
This is not the case with Exam II, especially the Doctorate version, but I agree 100% concerning Exam I. For those not familiar with the exams, all of the documents are here:

Billiard University (BU) Playing-Ability Exams

Thus far the cue ball control is the most difficult part in getting a high score. Making the balls is the easy part ;)
I agree 100%. The wagon wheel draw shots require precision with aim, tip position, and stroke speed. With a slight pocket cheat, or slightly too much or too little draw, or slightly too much or too little speed, it is easy to miss any (or many) of the 10 shots required at balls 6 through 10.

That damn draw test is a b1tch, lol Seem to always miss by an inch or so on all 3 sides...hard to get a high score on that one :(
I consider draw my best shot and I also have trouble getting a high score on the draw drill. I know I am capable of getting a 10, but I usually average about 6. In my recent posted video, I got two bonus points early (drawing to the target area from position 7), and then I missed the last 3 shots from 7, 6, and 5 to finish with a 6 (4 + 2). :frown:

But, what great practice this test is. Excellent.
I agree. The shots demand excellent fundamentals for accuracy and consistency. Also, with the camera on, I find that I really focus. The practice really sharpens my game, and the motivation provided by the scoring and challenge helps me want to sharpen even more.

Thanks for the feedback. Do you plan to give the challenge a try?

Regards,
Dave

Last edited: