Ren De Vera (ren_d_v) on this forum

the_general

I love Ivory.
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
If I may just have a small comment on something said mentioning Western Union, because it will definitely have an impact on us specifically.

Mode of payment is not the issue here, it is the PERSON who you transact with. I don't use PayPal as I have explained clearly before. Again, it's not the mode of payment, it is who you deal with sir... with all due respects. Not because I use WU, I am, or most likely, a scammer. This sends a wrong signal to those new and potential clients we might have, those who don't know yet - that we have 100% delivery record in 23 years - and we do not use PayPal. We only use Western Union.

Not all people who use Western Union are bad people. :)

Les

12squared

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
176   0   0
If I may just have a small comment on something said mentioning Western Union, because it will definitely have an impact on us specifically.

Mode of payment is not the issue here, it is the PERSON who you transact with. I don't use PayPal as I have explained clearly before. Again, it's not the mode of payment, it is who you deal with sir... with all due respects. Not because I use WU, I am, or most likely, a scammer. This sends a wrong signal to those new and potential clients we might have, those who don't know yet - that we have 100% delivery record in 23 years - and we do not use PayPal. We only use Western Union.

Not all people who use Western Union are bad people. :)

Les

Les,

This is true and I commend you and others like you that do business with integrity. If a buyer can confirm the person or business they are dealing with and feels comfortable, Western Union can be a good way to conduct business remotely.

Unfortunately, Western Union seems to be the preferred method of payment for those scamming others because the buyer cannot issue a claim to get it back like paypal or even money orders/cashiers checks. Even eBay warns against paying w/Western Union because there is no protection for the buyer.

I hope this gets resolved quickly and the buyer either gets his cue or his money back. The lack of communication is the worst part. If it was sent, he should produce a receipt and an estimated time of delivery at the very least.

Dave

ronshirley

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Thanks Ron.

It's not a secret that it's hard for us Filipinos to sell anything elsewhere because of the 'horror stories' made by some before us. But we're trying to change that by being professional, righteous, and trustworthy. Several of our friends here in the pool community are doing something to help you out Ron. I hope this clear out the soonest.

Best regards,

Les

Thank you Les, Sikayeako, joyren, Masirib5 and everyone in the PI pool community that are trying to help me.

I really appreciate it.

Ron

joyren

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
Thanks joyren

It is true... I am sure that everyone from PI that trys to sell a cue to the US will be treated with a great deal of suspicion from now on and it may even stop buyers from considering PI cues.

I will say here though that I have bought 4 cues from Les (the_general) and have had only great transactions.

Ron

Ron

Exactly, as you said it, but there are some of us that would protect our name, like myself, i am not really into buying or selling cues, i just sell some cues for friends who doesn't need it, they just brought it of of good faith to the CM's here

well having said that, i am offering my services from now on as an escrow service here(with a little fee off course:smile:), i know some of you might still be hesitant, but i know there are some who can vouch for me.

Joyren

joyren

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
Thank you everyone for any assistance you can provide.

I called today and found out that the funds were picked up in the Philippines on 6/29/2010.

The cue was supposed to be a Tony Bautista amboyna cue with 2 shafts. he is probably still playing with it if he had it at all.

Ron

I did some investigation here, talk with friends and CM Tony Bautista, he doesnt recall having the cue with him for finishing jobs or so, secondly, i am trying to reach Ren, but sad to say not answering his phone

lastly some people said that he might have this cue at all too,i dont know if true or not and that really sucks if true.

the_general

I love Ivory.
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
This incident has been echoed in our local pool forum www.bilyar.net and I hope this will be resolved immediately.

Privately, we are doing everything we can to help resolve this issue.

Les

Last edited:

joyren

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
Just curious, how long does it take for a cue to come from the Phillppines. I had a money order from Canada mailed to me Xpress Mail and it took more than ten days to get here.

thru Fedex/DHL it will take 3 days to reach destination for CONUS, for ASIA, around overnight to 1 day
if you take the normal route of postal services, that i dont know

dgem

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
Registered mail through postal service would take up to a month or more. Tracking number is unreliable until the package is with in the US postal service.

This option is a lot cheaper, so you might consider that possibility. Otherwise, you can check with the date if ever the package would reach you.

vickoy

Registered
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow this is a very bad news, hope ren will fix this soon, havent seen him lately but will try to contact him as well.

nbc

Cuefather
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I don't know the guy personally, as I am no longer active in the local Pool scene.

I do know the name... so, unfortunately, all i can say is... tsk tsk tsk.

Not good.

Hope this is resolved.

What is good is that a lot of the other Filipino forumers here know the guy personally. Maybe they can help you, Ron. Keeping my fingers crossed.

nbc

ronshirley

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Thank you nbc, vikoy, anitokid and all the others that I previously named.

I was contacted today by Ren through pm.

He apologized for the delay offering some excuses. Personally I think it was the pressure from the PI community that finally made the difference, not any sense of honest dealing from Ren.

Ren said he did not have access to AZ, etc. But he had complete access right up to the pm I sent him with the Western Union control number to pick up the funds. He obviously could have replied to that pm while reading the control number and told me he was shipping the cue. He had my address and money and could have shipped the cue regardless of access to AZ. After receiving the pm with the control number he strangely no longer had access to AZ.

Ren provided me with a DHL shipping number. The package was just shipped yesterday. Tracking does not provide a delivery address so I will just have to trust that the package is actually on its way to me and that it contains the cue and shafts from the sale transaction.

It is my strong opinion that it is not Ren's honor that may have resolved the situation but the strong support I received from so many in the PI pool community by personally contacting Ren and posting about it on their main forum there.

For that I can only say how grateful I am and how much the community here at AZ assisted.

I will post about the condition of the cue if/when I receive it. That should be in about 2-3 days at the most.

Thank you all,

Ron

rigmaster

my puppy is on the left!
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
I think it is great the guy is sending the cue you paid for, a little late but it's on the way! Please let me know when you get it and I will fix the RED I sent him! Ron

rackem

SUPPORT CLUB MEMBERSHIP
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
147   0   0
Don't be so quick to take the red away

Before everyone goes and gives this guy green just because under pressure from his peers he finally sent the cue that should have been sent 2 weeks ago. :frown:
Remember this, a green rep scores twice as much as red rep.
Does this guy really deserve to come out on the plus side?:nono:
Also remember there were others that he tried to screw over also.
That story he told about the other guys cue being wrapped and ready to send was just a ploy to pickup another few hundred at the WU office.
Fortunately that buyer had already cancelled his paypent.

Last edited:

vickoy

Registered
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad he shipped your cue already, hope upon rcpt no more problem will arise, i wasn't able yet to talk to him but i will difinitely hear his side, i still believed that Ren is not stupid enough to destroy his name and unfortunately implicate all of us as well. Maybe he is just having some problem, though we will not condone his late reaction, he should have solved this matter earlier.

Sikayeako

Billiard Passionista!
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Am glad Ren finally opted to do the right thing.

We will await your post re the cue's condition, etc. when you receive it.

Apologies for the inconvenience Sir.

He apologized for the delay offering some excuses. Personally I think it was the pressure from the PI community that finally made the difference, not any sense of honest dealing from Ren.

Ren said he did not have access to AZ, etc. But he had complete access right up to the pm I sent him with the Western Union control number to pick up the funds. He obviously could have replied to that pm while reading the control number and told me he was shipping the cue. He had my address and money and could have shipped the cue regardless of access to AZ. After receiving the pm with the control number he strangely no longer had access to AZ.

Ren provided me with a DHL shipping number. The package was just shipped yesterday. Tracking does not provide a delivery address so I will just have to trust that the package is actually on its way to me and that it contains the cue and shafts from the sale transaction.

It is my strong opinion that it is not Ren's honor that may have resolved the situation but the strong support I received from so many in the PI pool community by personally contacting Ren and posting about it on their main forum there.

For that I can only say how grateful I am and how much the community here at AZ assisted.

I will post about the condition of the cue if/when I receive it. That should be in about 2-3 days at the most.

Thank you all,

Ron

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
165   0   0

Thank you all,

Ron

DO NOT sign for the package until you verify the contents. Open it in front of the DHL driver and have a camera handy.

Also, nothing against the people who require Western Union but I will NEVER EVER EVER EVER pay for an item using Western Union. I send money to people who need it through WU all the time even though it's expensive to do so as it's the fastest way for cash to move around the world unless a person has paypal with a paypal ATM card.

I will never use it to buy because there is very little protection. I will never demand it although I will accept it if that's how the buyer wants to pay.

Last edited:

ronshirley

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
51   0   0
DO NOT sign for the package until you verify the contents. Open it in front of the DHL driver and have a camera handy.

Also, nothing against the people who require Western Union but I will NEVER EVER EVER EVER pay for an item using Western Union. I send money to people who need it through WU all the time even though it's expensive to do so as it's the fastest way for cash to move around the world unless a person has paypal with a paypal ATM card.

I will never use it to buy because there is very little protection. I will never demand it although I will accept it if that's how the buyer wants to pay.

Thanks John,

Welcome back.

That is good advice. If it comes on Monday I should be able to accept delivery personally. If it comes any other day I won't be available to sign for it.

But if it is not the cue Ren posted in his for sale section I will let everyone know and post pictures of what was received. That will be enough to ensure that his reputation in PI is ruined. I don't think anyone believes that I would lie about what I receive.

I am definitely going to take your advice about Western Union. It is expensive, inconvenient and offers absolutely no "insurance" against fraudulent transactions. I won't be using that method again for any purchase.

The only one I might make an exception for is Les, aka the_general. He has proven to be completely trustworthy.

The DHL website has not been updated since yesterday afternoon. It still shows the status as having "departed" the shipping facility in Manilla. If anyone is interested, the DHL tracking number is 1999244203

Thanks again to everyone.

the_general

I love Ivory.
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Hi Ron,

I do hope things would be a bit better for you. We did everything we could here to help you resolve the problem.

Welcome back John. :)

Les

cfrandy

AKA: The Road Runner
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
77   0   0
Personally, I will NOT fixed the red I gave him! He had ample opportunity to respond and choose NOT to do so! IMO he deserves a bad rep!

ronshirley

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
51   0   0
To one and all:

I am happy to say that the cue arrived about 30 minutes ago in good shape.

I am convinced that all the pressure put on Ren by our good AZ members in The Philippines and other responsible and respectable members of the PI pool community were the reason that this cue was finally shipped.

There is another odd development regarding the cue as well. I was contacted by some of the PI group to tell me that Ren "stole" the cue from a player there and that I bought "stolen property".

Actually "stole" is not the right word because what happened was this player sold the cue to Ren with an agreement to be paid later. I believe that was 2 years ago.

The player objected to my receiving this cue.

What is described is a bad debt from Ren (if true), not a theft. He does have the legal right to sell the cue, although clearly not the moral right.

The player is threatening legal action against Ren.

While I have done nothing wrong and, in fact, only found out about this situation yesterday, long after the cue was shipped, I have offered to this player that if he sends the exact amount of money that I paid for the cue plus shipping costs back to PI, I will return the cue.

I do not have time now to post pictures of the cue but will be happy to post them later.

Again, I cannot express highly enough how much I appreciate the help of all here on AZ and of the PI pool community who made such a difference in how this transaction turned out.

Thank you all!!

Ron

Last edited: