Boriz Cues - Made in the Philippines

Inferno

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I own a Boriz cue. #1268 if memory serves me.

I've had it for at least 5 years and it has NOT warped at all.
But, when I bought it I knew it was a cheap cue so I didn't really worry about it.

I love the MoP inlays but they aren't perfect by any means. At 5 feet this is an awesome looking cue and that's what I use it as, a looker.

As for the review. You can tell the butt isn't a dense wood. Despite the weight being pretty good, the overall feel of it is a hollow, empty core. There's no "heart" to the cue. It's dead inside.

As for the shaft. Yes, it's heavily varnished. That was the first thing I noticed when it arrived. And that varnish can be sanded pretty easy after it cures for a while (6mo). But with the varnish you either need a glove or lots of baby powder.

But, for the price they go for ($60 or so), it's a decent cue. Definitely better than the walmart crap.

USOpenPlayer

Registered
Boriz-Philipino cues

Ive bought about 12 cues from there. Got 2 that are still ok and play fine and haven't warped.. The rest I had to sell at a auction for 125.00 ea due to warpage and inlays lifting. I bought these cues when they were 99.00 delivered...good deal for what they are. Even a junk already warped cue at your local department store like Meijer's is 60.00 to 80.00. Just ask questions. Fancy cue for cheap....just put another shaft on it.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I owned one Philippine cue from one of their higher end makers- Joel Davidas- the cue looked great, and it was not cheap- over $600- but when I compared it to U.S custom cues that I own- you can Clearly see where they fall short overseas there in the finer points of cue making. My problem mostly was the shafts were not tapered correctly at all and left at about 13.5 to 14mm- maybe to keep them from warping too much- I don't know- and the ferrules/tips were horrendous. I retapered the shafts and changed out the front ends- it played very decently at that point. i would imagine if you add an aftermarket predator shaft it will play fine. I ended up selling mine at a loss- I paid too much based on the looks of the cue- lesson learned. I would not buy another PI cue- now that woman in my Avatar is Filipina- those you can depend on!

Franky4Eyes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello Everyone,

I have had an opportunity recently to get back into playing pool. I have found a team in my local league and I'm ready to go.

I sold all of my cues when I first moved away and so I started shopping ebay for a low cost solution. I have become obsessed with getting the best deal.

I finally placed a bid on a Boriz cue, made in the Philippines. I once bought a Richmond cue and thought highly of it.

I have not found a review from somebody who has actually shot with one of these cues but I have noticed quite a few sold, and a few people from the US selling them.

Can anybody shed some light on these cues from first hand experience?

If you want the best deal, these Boriz cues shouldn't even be a consideration!
You're flat out throwing money away.
Buy a Schmelke if you want a good American made cue.
They have beautiful wood and play better than those Boriz ever could dream of.
Spend $90- $100 on a Schmelke cue and practice 1 hour a day.
You'll be back in the fast lane in no time!

I'll let you in on a real secret...
JJ Cues America have sneaky pete playing cues for $75 that hit as nice as a $300 cue!
Their other lines are just as nice if you're looking for decent quality from a low cost import cue.

MmmSharp

Nudge is as good as a wink to a blind bat.
Gold Member
Silver Member
Schmelke is pretty much the way to go for a bang for buck scenario. Pick a joint that matches the shaft you plan to use.

Just remember that not all cues balance the same when you change shafts. Whatever weight you are picking in the cue think about how it will pair with the new shaft you are planning to get.

I love the east coast. we are going to do a newfoundland trip in a few years. couldn't fit it in last year when we did NB, NS, PEI. One of my best friends here in Ontario is a newfie ;)