New exciting Speed 10-Ball--I'm gona Puke

Celtic

AZB's own 8-ball jihadist
Silver Member
Promotors in pool having no clue about what actually needs to be done to properly promote the sport.

Nothing new to see here people, move along.

thommy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
sounds like what we used to call "action pool" when i was a kid and the houseman was back working on the pinsetters.

Ya had to shoot before the cue ball stopped:rolleyes:

Great 9 ball ring game . . .

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How exciting Guinness and ESPN Star Sports introduce Speed 10-Ball.

I think I'm going to puke!!!

Quotes:From AZ headline article.

"This modified 10-Ball system ensures that fans and competitors alike will be in for a much more dynamic and exhilarating 10-Ball competition."

"And fans can expect nothing less than blistering, edge of the seat pool action" BLa Bla Bla

Really? Is this what idiots think needs to be done to this great game for people to watch? PATHETIC!

A sad sad day for pool, you couldn't pay me to watch this cr*p
And no, I didn't tell you how I really feel, that I couldn't put on AZB
Do you know what speed pool is and how popular it is? It is often combined with a regular tournament as an added attraction and added money for the players to win. Some tournaments in Europe have the main tournament, high run competitions, speed pool competitions and so on. Three days or so of pool and a real happening event.
Other then the Derby, most US pool tournaments are real sleepers. Most of the time they can't even do decent player announcements. I would not knock success, I would try to learn from it.

HKCY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Remember PBA‘s rebirth in the early 2000’s? What happened to that?

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You have a very different view of what success for pool is if you could possibly call this success.

By you asking "Do you know what speed pool is" you seem to be saying how could I possibly not think this is good for pool?

Yes I know what speed pool is, it's like a side show at a carnival.
Now you know two things, that I know what speed pool is!!!
And that's exactly why I said I think I'm gona PUKE, the first time
I said it. Success, What a joke! Hey maybe next year they can play speed pool on skate boards, wouldn't that be great

No, I actually meant, do you know what speed pool is? I am sure you do now but I don't think you did when you made your original post.
The audiences and players love it. It makes what is a boring, (and pool tournaments for the most part are boring lets face it, they can't draw flies) A more happening event. Even things like ring games, high run contests, cue displays, vendors of all kinds of pool products and so on all add to the event like they have at the Derby.

It has to be an event if you want the public to come. You need more, the general pool fans who have proven they won't support tournaments. Even fanatics such as you may find on here won't pay a dime to watch a PPV. The general public is what all this is geared to not the fanatic and that is what is needed if you are to grow the sport as a spectator sport. (Where the money is) First you have to get their attention then they may discover they enjoy watching the sport and become fans. Not to mention, the players are receiving a payday.

Last edited:

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Lead em to water

Bottom line, speed pool TV matches had some success and John Q public seems to enjoy it, they have no clue about the Real game but seem intriqued by this and its simplicity.
David Pearson come to mind? Played em in a match twenty yrs ago or so, he shoots fast all the time.

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
I'm new to pool and don't have the foggiest notion of speed pool...but I agree with macguy: the public isn't going to watch traditional pool matches and the media isn't going to show them.

Personally I think raising the pitcher's mound ruined baseball and commercial breaks ruined football -- but probably saved the games.

So the industry must try new things. Maybe speed pool is the ticket and maybe it isn't, but it's better than doing nothing. If it doesn't work, then learn from the mistakes and try something else.

BTW, here's a brief youtube clip of a speed pool rack http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14n-OcwYY7Q

AZers and other diehard pool players aren't the market for these new games. The objective is to bring new people into the game either as players or viewers. If successful, it will benefit traditional pool players too.

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm new to pool and don't have the foggiest notion of speed pool...but I agree with macguy: the public isn't going to watch traditional pool matches and the media isn't going to show them.

Personally I think raising the pitcher's mound ruined baseball and commercial breaks ruined football -- but probably saved the games.

So the industry must try new things. Maybe speed pool is the ticket and maybe it isn't, but it's better than doing nothing. If it doesn't work, then learn from the mistakes and try something else.

BTW, here's a brief youtube clip of a speed pool rack http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14n-OcwYY7Q

AZers and other diehard pool players aren't the market for these new games. The objective is to bring new people into the game either as players or viewers. If successful, it will benefit traditional pool players too.
Pro sports figured this out years ago. All star games, home run derby's, bat night at the park, bring your dog to the park night and so on. The new Marlins stadium has a swimming pool and when they show the games people are often swimming instead of following the game.

A trip to the new Marlins park is like a trip to an amusement park, something for everybody. People who think pool should be played in some kind of vacuum may be part of the problem. I remember being at an exhibition by Mosconi and someone asked him how he would do against Lassiter at 9-ball. He actually got angry as if just bring up 9-ball to him was an abomination. He felt 9-ball had ruined the beautiful game of pool. I doubt many would agree with him today. Actually the greatest thing about pool is there are so many different games to play on the table, even things like trick shots something for everyone, even speed pool.

sheffield6

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You have a very different view of what success for pool is if you could possibly call this success.

By you asking "Do you know what speed pool is" you seem to be saying how could I possibly not think this is good for pool?

Yes I know what speed pool is, it's like a side show at a carnival.
Now you know two things, that I know what speed pool is!!!
And that's exactly why I said I think I'm gona PUKE, the first time
I said it. Success, What a joke! Hey maybe next year they can play speed pool on skate boards, wouldn't that be great

dont just stop at skateboards, what about wearing a funny nose and banging a drum

1on1pooltournys

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
most US pool tournaments are real sleepers. Most of the time they can't even do decent player announcements.

You're right bout this. The US Open Ten ball was like being at a funeral. They never announced crap..just " start 2 o'clock matches". People can say what they want about Scott (?? his last name has slipped me) but he was good at announcing matches.

snipershot

Go ahead.....run for it.
Silver Member
I don't like speed pool. But, I think it would be much more appealing to the public if the players had to take 1 shot of whiskey for every shot they took with their cue. Now that would make it interesting! Lol. And think about how much your average bar player could relate to that? Hell, it could become a new high stakes game, just like beer pong.

Joe