Advice on Valley table 'ball hop'

JasBy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The local bar where my team plays has 2 valley 7' bar tables. I won't sugar coat it - they aren't in the best of shape, but the owner will recover them for us when it becomes necessary. They play fairly consistenly for us.
Our league doesn't play in the summer, and for the first time this summer I visited our league night bartender when she was working. While I was waiting for my dinner I rolled some balls on the tables. Both tables seemd to have rails that were WAY to low. Even gently rolling a ball into the rail got you an audible hop when it came off, and when I grabbed a cue and hit a fairly stiff shot it bounced out almost 2 diamonds before landing, and then hopped again when it hit the rail nearest me (this is the long way on the table)
The bartender swears no one has touched the tables over the summer. Can THIS much of a change be caused by a change in humidity? Or should we be telling the owner to get them looked at before the season starts in a month?
Thanks for any input.

Poolhalljunkie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rail bolts

The local bar where my team plays has 2 valley 7' bar tables. I won't sugar coat it - they aren't in the best of shape, but the owner will recover them for us when it becomes necessary. They play fairly consistenly for us.
Our league doesn't play in the summer, and for the first time this summer I visited our league night bartender when she was working. While I was waiting for my dinner I rolled some balls on the tables. Both tables seemd to have rails that were WAY to low. Even gently rolling a ball into the rail got you an audible hop when it came off, and when I grabbed a cue and hit a fairly stiff shot it bounced out almost 2 diamonds before landing, and then hopped again when it hit the rail nearest me (this is the long way on the table)
The bartender swears no one has touched the tables over the summer. Can THIS much of a change be caused by a change in humidity? Or should we be telling the owner to get them looked at before the season starts in a month?
Thanks for any input.

The rail bolts could be loose to the point that someone leaned or sat on the rail cusion causing it to be pushed closer to the slate causing your ball hop. Are the cusions flush with the top of the rail?

Last edited:

Cuephoric

1hole anyone?
Silver Member
cushions too low... either wasn't locked in at right height or was dropped down by people sitting on it, or.... wrong profile to begin with. if top of cushion below top of rail- easy fix. takes a few minutes to remove trim, loosen rail bolts, raise up to where it's supposed to be, and retighten. (Not with an impact as I've noticed in rooms in Houston area in last couple of years- bad mojo :wink: lol) if all else fails... break out the trusty old tape measure and double check the nose height. but just from hitting cuball into the rail... whitey don't lie