Dufferin shaft

Darkbreeze

Steel city player
Anybody have any idea where a guy might be able to get a hold of a replacement or substitute shaft, for a Dufferin Zodiac cue?

I happen to have a butt for a 19 oz Zodiac in great shape. Had no idea these were even worth anything and would like to use it as a third backup cue. Obviously, these have a reversed joint with the female half being in the butt instead of the shaft like most cues.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anybody have any idea where a guy might be able to get a hold of a replacement or substitute shaft, for a Dufferin Zodiac cue?

I happen to have a butt for a 19 oz Zodiac in great shape. Had no idea these were even worth anything and would like to use it as a third backup cue. Obviously, these have a reversed joint with the female half being in the butt instead of the shaft like most cues.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

This,

IMG_20180207_003157.jpg

Try Roy Mason. masonr@golden.net

Darkbreeze

Steel city player
Yeah, I'm not going through all that for a 30 year old Dufferin cue. I just wanted to be able to buy a shaft that was a direct fit, but if there are none available, then IDK. Maybe it's just time for it to hit the trash pile.

On that link above with the Dufferin shafts, there are no specifications for joint type on any of those shafts that I can see. How are you supposed to know which one fits, well, anything really?

To be honest, I don't think ANY of those shafts would fit this cue anyhow. This is a pretty old Zodiac model and it has the very small pin in the end of the male threaded shank. Maybe I'm just being dense, but it's impossible to tell anything without specs or at least better images than what's on that page.

I appreciate the replies in any case however.

How is it these cues, the old Dufferin Zodiac red maple leaf models, are selling for 150 dollars and up? I think this cue cost like 25 bucks brand new all those years ago. Do these actually have some value somehow?

Last edited:

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, I'm not going through all that for a 30 year old Dufferin cue. I just wanted to be able to buy a shaft that was a direct fit, but if there are none available, then IDK. Maybe it's just time for it to hit the trash pile.

On that link above with the Dufferin shafts, there are no specifications for joint type on any of those shafts that I can see. How are you supposed to know which one fits, well, anything really?

To be honest, I don't think ANY of those shafts would fit this cue anyhow. This is a pretty old Zodiac model and it has the very small pin in the end of the male threaded shank. Maybe I'm just being dense, but it's impossible to tell anything without specs or at least better images than what's on that page.

I appreciate the replies in any case however.

How is it these cues, the old Dufferin Zodiac red maple leaf models, are selling for 150 dollars and up? I think this cue cost like 25 bucks brand new all those years ago. Do these actually have some value somehow?

Is this better?

IMG_20190706_160542.jpg

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
....On that link above with the Dufferin shafts, there are no specifications for joint type on any of those shafts that I can see. How are you supposed to know which one fits, well, anything really?....

Its their signature joint. You need to learn how to read apparently.

Darkbreeze

Steel city player
@RiverCity, you don't need to be an asshat just because somebody isn't aware of the exact naming scheme or nomenclature on a cue model that hasn't been in production for a long time. Seriously, I can read. And I happen to be a moderator on one of the largest forums in the world, Tom's hardware, so I'm well aware of acceptable forum etiquette. I don't recall anybody mentioning that the joint I was looking for was called their signature joint, until you just did, so you'll excuse me for not having known that was what I was looking for.

@Michael Webb, thanks, yes that looks like the correct joint although mine has only the butt half of course, but it IS the aluminum joint like that and I'm pretty certain that the shaft side of the joint was identical to that so thanks, to you both actually, for clarifying that it's the signature joint AND offering an image to match up with the name of the joint type.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
@RiverCity, you don't need to be an asshat just because somebody isn't aware of the exact naming scheme or nomenclature on a cue model that hasn't been in production for a long time. Seriously, I can read. And I happen to be a moderator on one of the largest forums in the world, Tom's hardware, so I'm well aware of acceptable forum etiquette. I don't recall anybody mentioning that the joint I was looking for was called their signature joint, until you just did, so you'll excuse me for not having known that was what I was looking for.

@Michael Webb, thanks, yes that looks like the correct joint although mine has only the butt half of course, but it IS the aluminum joint like that and I'm pretty certain that the shaft side of the joint was identical to that so thanks, to you both actually, for clarifying that it's the signature joint AND offering an image to match up with the name of the joint type.

One would expect it would be obvious to anybody that knows anything at all about pool or cues, hence the comment.

You seem to imply those cues are "worth something". They aren't.

If you buy a shaft for it, that will be the total value of the cue.

I have been a forum administrator and moderator as well. It's worth exactly nothing, especially when you pull it out like that.

In addition, if you has used the search function you would have easily found what you wanted, which calls into question whether or not you have forum experience at all, let alone some supreme authority you claim.

Last edited:

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

So Im an asshat for giving you information you didnt bother to click around on and read.

How about this, next time you ask for information, and someone spoon feeds it to you, you say thank you.

As a 'moderator on one of the largest forums in the world', you would think calling a guy names when he is trying to help you wouldnt be tolerated.

Oh well, another internet tough guy apparently.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
So Im an asshat for giving you information you didnt bother to click around on and read.

How about this, next time you ask for information, and someone spoon feeds it to you, you say thank you.

As a 'moderator on one of the largest forums in the world', you would think calling a guy names when he is trying to help you wouldnt be tolerated.

Oh well, another internet tough guy apparently.

A moderator on a hardware forum is liable to put the screws to you....:rolleyes:

us820

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would have somebody fix the old shaft or send it to the supplier listed to match up.I bought a used dufferin like that with that joint for $20 last year.Needed a tip and it plays great.Straight as an arrow still.I like the wood to wood red leafs better though.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Your welcome and my apologies for those breaking your balls. Sometimes it is forgotten, what it was like when they didn't know what is known today.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your welcome and my apologies for those breaking your balls. Sometimes it is forgotten, what it was like when they didn't know what is known today.

How about a time when people weren’t so fooking lazy they would put in the work to find information on their own?

And if given a source with said information, would actually read the motherfugger.

Remember those days? I do.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How about a time when people weren’t so fooking lazy they would put in the work to find information on their own?

And if given a source with said information, would actually read the motherfugger.

Remember those days? I do.

Lmao. I do but look where we are. A Pool Forum.
Dufferin made a wide variety of cues and they offered different joint screws. They were also one of the first to offer laminated shafts. Flat laminate, some had red veneers and some had green veneers the length of the shaft.

Darkbreeze

Steel city player
My apologies, I guess, to those who were apparently offended by the fact that although I DO have a good deal of experience with cues, I have none whatsoever with older Dufferin cues or joints.

Yes, I did look around first. You know what I came up with, exactly nothing that told me anything specific at all.

Yeah, I didn't think they were worth much, but the fact that the few listed seem to be fairly expensive given what I knew to be a cheap ass cue to start with, had me scratching my head. Yes, I realize things are worth exactly what somebody is willing to pay for them on fleabay, but when there are many that are similarly priced, you have to ask.

That Bradley's page I was linked to had exactly six, distinctly different models of reverse joint listed. Clearly since I don't have the old shaft, I have no way of knowing which of them was the one I was looking for, specifically. Again, if that hurt your feelings that I asked for clarification, my appologies. Perhaps you shouldn't participate on a forum where people come to ask questions if answering questions hurts you so much you have to complain about it.

Yeah, Google is your friend. I get it. But Google also sucks, and anymore, it rarely returns what you're looking for without knowing the exact, specific search string to input in the first place. Now that I know that is called the "Signature joint", pretty simple to find relevant information. Maybe you should simply have offered "Hey man, that's called the Signature joint. I think a search for that will return what you are looking for" and nobody would have had to get their little feathers all ruffled.

Come see me at Tom's Hardware sometime. I'm Darkbreeze. Hang the nine knows who I am.

Thanks to all who helped out with this, even those of you who got sad for asking what must seem like a seriously newbish question. It happens. Life goes on.

Last edited:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
My apologies, I guess, to those who were apparently offended by the fact that although I DO have a good deal of experience with cues, I have none whatsoever with older Dufferin cues or joints.

Yes, I did look around first. You know what I came up with, exactly nothing that told me anything specific at all.

Yeah, I didn't think they were worth much, but the fact that the few listed seem to be fairly expensive given what I knew to be a cheap ass cue to start with, had me scratching my head. Yes, I realize things are worth exactly what somebody is willing to pay for them on fleabay, but when there are many that are similarly priced, you have to ask.

That Bradley's page I was linked to had exactly six, distinctly different models of reverse joint listed. Clearly since I don't have the old shaft, I have no way of knowing which of them was the one I was looking for, specifically. Again, if that hurt your feelings that I asked for clarification, my appologies. Perhaps you shouldn't participate on a forum where people come to ask questions if answering questions hurts you so much you have to complain about it.

Yeah, Google is your friend. I get it. But Google also sucks, and anymore, it rarely returns what you're looking for without knowing the exact, specific search string to input in the first place. Now that I know that is called the "Signature joint", pretty simple to find relevant information. Maybe you should simply have offered "Hey man, that's called the Signature joint. I think a search for that will return what you are looking for" and nobody would have had to get their little feathers all ruffled.

Come see me at Tom's Hardware sometime. I'm Darkbreeze. Hang the nine knows who I am.

Thanks to all who helped out with this, even those of you who got sad for asking what must seem like a seriously newbish question. It happens. Life goes on.
What?
You mean to tell me you didn't know that an accountant named Al Selinger bought a
modest business called Dufferin Wood Patterns whose main work was making
wooden toilet seats and rifle stocks and turned it into a company that made the
front cover of Canadian Business Mag as a model for Canuck entrepreneurs? :eek:

They actually put Brunswick of Canada out of the cue biz by making a superior
house cue at two thirds of Brunswick's price.

:)