RIP John Davis

Type79

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was saddened to hear that John Davis passed away early last evening 11/23/2018. He was the last direct link to Spain and Balabushka and remained contemporary by producing quality blanks almost up to the time he died. He was so prolific that many found it easy to take him for granted.

I never had the privilege to meet Mr Davis but am proud to own several cues based on his blanks.

Rest in peace.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
A John Davis blank was a selling point for any cue maker.

Rest In Peace, Mr Davis

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sad to hear this news. I noticed some of his blanks today on the for sale forum. I always clicked on everything which had his name on it just to look at the beauty of his work.

Condolences to his family and friends.

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A good man was John Davis. I was fortunate to meet him and visit his shop I Chicago a few years ago. He had old upper kitchen cabinets all over the walls. They were chock a block full of forearms. Easily thousands of them, so many in fact I don't think he even knew how many or what was where. It was unbelievable! He was funny and quite a character with a great sense of humor. The pool industry has lost a true legend. Truly a one of a kind old school gentleman. RIP to John and my condolences to all his close friends, family and business associates.

jazznpool

Superior Cues--Unchalked!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Sad news indeed. John was a good man, friend and business associate. In any conversation there was always a laugh somewhere. It's been an honor to be his only seller of cue blanks for about 8 years. Nothing but good dealings with John. We almost lost him 2 years ago. People had no idea how ill he was yet he was able to get himself out in the shop earlier in the year and complete another batch of blanks. He greatly enjoyed the blanks and cues business and made many friends along the way. He has earned his place in the history of cues as a pioneer with veneered fullsplice blanks going back to the late 60's with Burton Spain. John was a machinist who built Burton's turning machine and other equipment.

pfd studios

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
John Davis - my friend and fellow cuemaker

There is no way I can convey how much I will miss John, fortunately I was able to try to tell him so in person when I drove to Chicago last week to spend a few days with him. He was my friend, not just a fellow cuemaker - a humble man with great talent who always had the best of intensions in everything he did, to say he was special is an understatement. RIP . . .

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Gold Member
Silver Member
Very sad news on the passing of this legendary cuemaker and gentleman.

I, too, enjoyed looking at all of the Davis blank listings posted by Martin.

Below is a very interesting and unusual one completed by another great guy we lost, Alex Brick.

The Davis blank used on this one features pink ivory wood and bocote with vibrant veneers.

RIP, Mr. Davis.

best,
brian kc

Attachments

• brick-davis-forearm-close.jpg
    brick-davis-forearm-close.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 1,207
  • brick-davis-points.jpg
    brick-davis-points.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 1,214

matcase

Blondie's #1 fan
Silver Member
I conversed with John for an hour or so in Philly at one of K. Carfagno’s events....a treasured memory! Condolences to those who are close with him. A wonderful part of our passion.

SamShaddey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rip. Its a joy and privilege to play with your work!

Attachments

• 1543114703921414146455.jpg
    1543114703921414146455.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 491

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
I was saddened to hear that John Davis passed away early last evening 11/23/2018. He was the last direct link to Spain and Balabushka and remained contemporary by producing quality blanks almost up to the time he died. He was so prolific that many found it easy to take him for granted.

I never had the privilege to meet Mr Davis but am proud to own several cues based on his blanks.

Rest in peace.

John was a great guy. His was one of my favorite articles. He was so innocent in cue building, in both his first and second go around. He also deserves stronger recognition in the history of cue building: the creator of all fixtures that made the Spain-era Balabushka blanks as well as builder of a significant number (half or more) of those blanks.

He wanted to build cues when he returned to the billiard world. I wasn’t alone, but I will say without any shame or humility that I had a small hand in his eventually concentrating on building blanks. Too many orders came his way after the article, according to John.

I had a cue of his from the first year of his return. Eventually, he asked for it back as he didn’t want that cue out there to falsely represent his work, which had much improved. He built a replacement. Truth be told, his first-year work was solid in play. Really, really solid! But, it had fit and finish challenges that needed work.

Freddie <~~~ R.I.P. John Davis

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
Very sad news on the passing of this legendary cuemaker and gentleman.

I, too, enjoyed looking at all of the Davis blank listings posted by Martin.

Below is a very interesting and unusual one completed by another great guy we lost, Alex Brick.

The Davis blank used on this one features pink ivory wood and bocote with vibrant veneers.

RIP, Mr. Davis.

best,
brian kc

Probably collaborating on a new project as i type

Couple of great guys!!

RIP