$4000 Billiard University (BU) Exam I 100 Challenge

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Several people have suggested via PM and e-mail that it seems a little odd that I am entering my own challenge, given that I am co-sponsoring the event through the Billiard University (which I co-own).

I contemplated this question quite a bit before I entered the contest, but I decided to enter since I am following the same rules as everybody else and have no unfair advantage. I also like that my personal game benefits a lot from the dedicated practice and hard work I am putting in as a result of the motivation provided by the challenge.

Also, I see nothing wrong with offering money to challenge others (at no cost to them) to beat my top score. There is also precedence for sponsoring or organizing players entering their own events (e.g., Darren Appleton's World Pool Series, Nick Varner's Classic, etc.).

What do you guys think? Should I be allowed to enter my own challenge?

Thanks,
Dave

I don't see a thing wrong with you entering your own challenge. After all, you are a player.

To me, it is like someone walking into a room and saying "I challenge everyone in this room but you owe me nothing if you lose".

I've heard people challenge a room before, but not once have I heard the words "risk free" in any room with any challenge that involved money.

Rake

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thank you to everybody for supporting my decision to enter my own contest.

Now get busy and try to beat my score for the cash,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
The Billiard University (BU) just announced an Exam challenge with money prizes. Here it is:
$4000 Billiard University (BU) Exam I 100 Challenge.

You just need to post a video of yourself taking BU Exam I (Fundamentals Exam). There is no cost to enter. We are paying out $4000 to the top three scores (including a $500 bonus available for a perfect score of 100).

The Challenge video describes how to enter and runs through the entire Exam.

I hope some AZB'ers win some of the money. I just posted a video with a score of 82 to give you guys something to beat. My goal is to reach 90 before the end of the contest, and I really hope somebody (maybe a pro) can post a perfect score of 100. Hopefully, the $2500 top prize is high enough to attract some top players, given that no travel or other expenses are required.

The BU Exams are excellent practice and I always feel my game elevate a little when I dedicate focused practice time to the Exams.

Good luck and have fun,
Dave
Lee Cooper just posted a 95!

Here are the top 3 scores and videos to date:

1.) Lee Cooper - 95 - video ($2000)
2.) Dr. Dave Alciatore - 91 - video ($1000)
3.) Ken Cileli - 91 - video ($500)

There are only 40 days left before the end of the challenge (July 31, 2018).

There should be some other AZB'ers out there who could break into the top 3, and I'm sure some of you are capable of taking over 1st place ($2000) with a little dedicated and focused practice. Maybe even a perfect score of 100 (for $2500) is possible.

Good luck,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks for all you do to help the pool community Dr Dave!
You're welcome. I aim to swerve. :grin-square:

Also great job on breaking 90!
Thank you! I was very happy when I reached my goal, but now I want more. I've been working hard the last couple of weeks trying to top my PR, but I keep having trouble maxing out the draw drill; and when I do, I blow it on the wagon wheel drill (and sometimes on the potting drill, embarrassingly).

I don't think I can beat 95 (or even 91) before the end of the challenge, but I will certainly try. The Exam is excellent practice, and it really makes me focus (which is the best practice of all).

Catch you later,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thank you! I was very happy when I reached my goal, but now I want more. I've been working hard the last couple of weeks trying to top my PR, but I keep having trouble maxing out the draw drill; and when I do, I blow it on the wagon wheel drill (and sometimes on the potting drill, embarrassingly).

I don't think I can beat 95 (or even 91) before the end of the challenge, but I will certainly try. The Exam is excellent practice, and it really makes me focus (which is the best practice of all).
I just posted a 93! I am finally doing better on the draw drill. Today was the first time I got a 10 on that drill with no misses. It must have been because I was wearing the "Got English?" T-shirt for the first time while taking the Exam. Not only is that shirt a "ckick magnet," but it also seems to have magical powers to make you play better. :grin-square:

Here's my latest video:

Dr. Dave Alciatore - Exam I video - 93

I plan to keep trying to reach 95. Now I think it is possible.

It should also be possible for somebody better than me to reach a perfect score of 100 for the $500 bonus and the top prize of $2500.

Good luck,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
The Billiard University (BU) just announced an Exam challenge with money prizes. Here it is:
$4000 Billiard University (BU) Exam I 100 Challenge.

You just need to post a video of yourself taking BU Exam I (Fundamentals Exam). There is no cost to enter. We are paying out $4000 to the top three scores (including a $500 bonus available for a perfect score of 100).

The Challenge video describes how to enter and runs through the entire Exam.

I hope some AZB'ers win some of the money. I just posted a video with a score of 82 to give you guys something to beat. My goal is to reach 90 before the end of the contest, and I really hope somebody (maybe a pro) can post a perfect score of 100. Hopefully, the $2500 top prize is high enough to attract some top players, given that no travel or other expenses are required.

The BU Exams are excellent practice and I always feel my game elevate a little when I dedicate focused practice time to the Exams.

Good luck and have fun,
Dave
Here are the top 3 scores and videos to date:

2.) Dr. Dave Alciatore - 93 - video ($1000)

There are only 36 days left before the end of the challenge (July 31, 2018).

There should be some other AZB'ers out there who can break into the top 3, and I'm sure some of you are capable of taking over 1st place ($2000) with some dedicated and focused practice. Maybe even a perfect score of 100 (for $2500) is also possible.

Good luck,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Any other AZB'ers out there, besides "Side Pocket," working on breaking into the top three?

Here are the top 3 scores and videos to date, in the $4000 Billiard University (BU) Exam I 100 Challenge:

There are only 34 days left before the end of the challenge (July 31, 2018).

There should be some other AZB'ers out there who can break into the top 3, and I'm sure some of you are capable of taking over 1st place ($2000) with some dedicated and focused practice. Maybe even a perfect score of 100 (for $2500) is also possible.

Good luck,
Dave

Last edited:

shinobi

kanadajindayo
Silver Member
Several people have suggested via PM and e-mail that it seems a little odd that I am entering my own challenge, given that I am co-sponsoring the event through the Billiard University (which I co-own).

I contemplated this question quite a bit before I entered the contest, but I decided to enter since I am following the same rules as everybody else and have no unfair advantage. I also like that my personal game benefits a lot from the dedicated practice and hard work I am putting in as a result of the motivation provided by the challenge.

Also, I see nothing wrong with offering money to challenge others (at no cost to them) to beat my top score. There is also precedence for sponsoring or organizing players entering their own events (e.g., Darren Appleton's World Pool Series, Nick Varner's Classic, etc.).

What do you guys think? Should I be allowed to enter my own challenge?

Thanks,
Dave

Wait a minute, are you conducting your own poll in your own thread? :D

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Wait a minute, are you conducting your own poll in your own thread? :D
It is not really a poll (in my own thread about my own challenge that I have entered). I was just asking for input from people who had an opinion on the matter, and several people already replied.

Do you plan to enter the challenge? (This is not a poll, but an actual question.) :grin-square:

Regard,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I just saw this thread.
Where have you been? The thread has been active since March!

Is the contest over?
Nope. The deadline to submit a video entry is July 31, 2018.

Here are the top 3 scores and videos to date, in the $4000 Billiard University (BU) Exam I 100 Challenge:

Good luck,
Dave

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Good luck,
Dave

I've been a little busy taking care of my wife.

I have a camera which I used to use to post videos but the program it uses to download videos to my computer isn't compatible with windows 10.

If I get the time and if I can figure out a way to get the camera to post video I'll enter the contest. Money is one of my favorite things to win.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I've been a little busy taking care of my wife.

I have a camera which I used to use to post videos but the program it uses to download videos to my computer isn't compatible with windows 10.

If I get the time and if I can figure out a way to get the camera to post video I'll enter the contest. Money is one of my favorite things to win.
I hope you can find the time, and good luck with the camera ... and the Exam.

I look forward to seeing how high you can score.

Even if you don't break into the top 3, please post your best video anyway. Also consider posting scores and videos on the AZB BU Sticky Thread as many other AZB members have.

Catch you later,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
There are only 30 days left in the $4000 Billiard University (BU) Exam I 100 Challenge.

Here are the current top 3 scores and videos:

There should be some other AZB'ers out there who can break into the top 3, and I'm sure some of you are capable of taking over 1st place ($2000) with some dedicated and focused practice. Maybe even a perfect score of 100 (for $2500) is possible.

Good luck,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
There are only 22 days left before the end of the challenge (July 31, 2018).

Here are the current top 3 scores and videos to date, in the $4000 Billiard University (BU) Exam I 100 Challenge:

There should be some other AZB'ers out there who can break into the top 3, and I'm sure some of you are capable of taking over 1st place ($2000) with some dedicated and focused practice. Maybe even a perfect score of 100 (for $2500) is possible.

Good luck,
Dave

Last edited:

gypsy_soul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Good luck,
Dave
Well Dave I'm ready and I havnt hit a ball in months... I'm going to keep Fishing and riding my bike while u dedicate yourself to pool. When u feel good and strong enough let me know and I dedicate my truck your direction and we can play some 9ball and one pocket for that 2500$ . PM me , I'll be hanging at the neerest national park enjoying this beautiful weather .... summertime aaaaaaaaahhhh !!!!!!! Practice , dedication DR DAVE

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
There are only 21 days left before the end of the challenge (July 31, 2018).

Here are the current top 3 scores and videos to date, in the $4000 Billiard University (BU) Exam I 100 Challenge:

Well Dave I'm ready and I havnt hit a ball in months... I'm going to keep Fishing and riding my bike while u dedicate yourself to pool. When u feel good and strong enough let me know and I dedicate my truck your direction and we can play some 9ball and one pocket for that 2500$ . PM me , I'll be hanging at the neerest national park enjoying this beautiful weather .... summertime aaaaaaaaahhhh !!!!!!! Practice , dedication DR DAVE
I'm not interested in gambling matches. If you want some of my money, man up and enter the Challenge. If you play as good as you talk, even with no practice, you should crush it.

Good luck,
Dave

Last edited:

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not interested in gambling matches. If you want some of my money, man up and enter the Challenge. If you play as good as you talk, even with no practice, you should crush it.

Good luck,
Dave

Great reply. Considerably more respectful than most folks would have been considering the tone of the reply. I've had the chance to view a few of your Instructional videos and really enjoyed them and learned something new. Particularly the one on pushing frozen balls. As a half assed one pocket player those shots seem to come up quite often, so thanks.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member

Good luck,
Dave
Great reply. Considerably more respectful than most folks would have been considering the tone of the reply.
Thanks.

I've had the chance to view a few of your Instructional videos and really enjoyed them and learned something new. Particularly the one on pushing frozen balls. As a half assed one pocket player those shots seem to come up quite often, so thanks.
I'm glad to hear it ... and you're welcome. I aim to swerve. :grin-square:

Regards,
Dave