Diamond Ball Polisher issue...

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lie, I invented this ball polisher back in 1995 and I'm telling you point blank, the aramith ball cleaner was not designed for use in any motorized ball polisher that uses any kind of pads or carpeting. You've used the cleaner sparingly, great for you, BUT I can speak for the many times I've replaced the buffing surfaces because of the aramith cleaner used. I can walk up to a pool table and just look at it and can tell if the aramith cleaner polish is being used on the balls because of the build up on the cushion cloth. You may be an exception buddy, but you're NOT the norm!!

THREE things in this post for you, RKC:

1) I can unequivocally say that the Diamond ball polisher that you invented for them is a great machine. It serves a specific purpose and it does a fine job. When used properly. Sincere “thank you” for helping get a fine product to the masses, sir.

2) IMO, the Diamond ball polisher is due for a serious upgrade / UPDATE on the replacement lining and sprocket material - it is far too abrasive. What do you think would be the PERFECT pad material for this machine, Glen?

3) I think you are misleading many fine guests and members reading this thread, sir, when you throw a statement like this out there from your post above: “I can walk up to a pool table and just look at it and can tell if the aramith cleaner polish is being used on the balls because of the build up on the cushion cloth.” Here’s why I say this, Glen...the ONLY way any Aramith Ball Cleaner/product could POSSIBLY be transferring from a recently cleaned ball to ANY surface like cushion cloth is because the user didn’t remove ALL of the product from the ball. Sir. That would be equivalent to someone waxing their car and leaving a majority of the product on the painted surface because they were either too lazy and didn’t finish the job (or) didn’t know HOW to actually use the product properly. IF you are seeing any residue from a ball transfer to a rail, Glen, those balls were played with that product still ON them. A tremendous amount. And every reader of this forum knows that. Which is why I think you are putting out bad information about the product and should really do the right thing and retract that statement.

I’ll wager this, Glen...any amount of money. I clean ANY ball you hand me with the Aramith Ball Cleaner (with my Diamond machine or with my hands and techniques) and then you hit that ball into any surface at any angle, speed or spin as many times as you can within a week/month/year and it will leave ZERO Aramith residue. Put white cloth on those rails if you dare.

It’s not the Aramith Cleaner, Glen - it’s the fellow doing the job wrong.

~ K.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
FYI, for my Bludworth ball cleaner I've been using weekly for 22+ years and have replaced the pads on every 1-2 years, I have always used a F1 felt sheet ordered from Grainger, white, 2'x2', 1/4" thick, to reline the 16 holes for the balls and the round base plate that spins them. I simply cut the felt strips for the holes and for the large round base pad to the proper size, spray glue the back of them, then pop them in. From a 2'x2' felt sheet, I can make about 2-1/2 to 3 sets of pads and strips, if you cut them properly to mimimize waste.

The cost is around $25 per set of pads and strips - $60-$70 total including shipping for the 2'x2' felt sheet. I'm sure there are less expensive types of buffing pads one could use in their polisher, but this is a top quality felt and has worked very well for me for a very long time.

As for what I use on our sets of balls, I start with the cue balls and do them by hand with a sponge doused in denatured alcohol, using latex gloves to not get the alcohol on my hands, to first hand buff all the chalk marks and miscue marks off the cue balls as best as I can. Then after placing a full set of balls in the polishing machine, as soon as I turn it on, I squirt one full shot of spray of Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Detailer on the set of balls as they are spinning, and let the machine do it's thing for roughly 90 seconds per set.

I do this process once a week on Monday afternoon, before our weekly Monday night tournament. I have a friend who built his own ball polisher based on the specs on mine. He chooses not to use any type of spray on the balls when he puts them in his machine. I've tried that, but just don't think the balls come out looking as good. As far as whether anything left on the surface of the balls from the detailer spray used in the polisher might make them play differently, I have never noticed any issue.

Last edited:

Hits 'em Hard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There’s only 4 steps listed.

Lou Figueroa
5th step?
can’t talk about comprehension
‘til you learn to read, lol

Was a quick reply as I was leaving my house. Guess I messed up my numbering. Still nothing compared to your misusing of a product.

haystj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Was a quick reply as I was leaving my house. Guess I messed up my numbering. Still nothing compared to your misusing of a product.

He is lightly using a ball cleaner to clean them, then using a ball polisher to polish them.

Can you explain the misuse?

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Sure, whatever you say.

So, let's move on to Round Two: What is the numbering you intended? And, how am I misusing the product? Extra points for explaining how you didn't put your foot in your mouth and swallow it whole :)

Lou Figueroa
don't you
just love
game shows

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
“He who is ready to despair in solitary peril, plucks up a heart in the presence of another. In a plurality of comrades is much countenance and consolation.”

— Herman Melville

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
A friend has temporarily loaned me his Diamond ball polisher.

I use a little (say penny to nickel sized) drop of Aramith ball cleaner on top of each ball, then set it to go.

After a few minutes the balls start to slow their spin, and often times lock up and the machine will reject the center piece (sometimes rejecting a few balls in the process).

To avoid this I have a spray bottle of water and when it starts to seize up I spray the balls to give them some lube.

Any suggestions on how to resolve this? I would have thought it should be a set it and forget it operation instead of a watch the pot boil one.

Aramith ball cleaner is thick. How about contacting Heath Manning (distributor) or Diamond. They'll provide instructions and the proper cleaning liquid. The wrong polish works against you..and dirties up the machine.
I have a BallStar. I use their cleaner. Use whatever the manufacturer suggests.

Last edited:

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Aramith ball cleaner is thick. How about contacting Keith Manning (distributor) or Diamond. They'll provide instructions and the proper cleaning liquid. The wrong polish works against you..and dirties up the machine.

Heath manning.

Hits 'em Hard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sure, whatever you say.

So, let's move on to Round Two: What is the numbering you intended? And, how am I misusing the product? Extra points for explaining how you didn't put your foot in your mouth and swallow it whole :)

Lou Figueroa
don't you
just love
game shows

Well let’s see, step 3 says to “rub well”. The wordage implies the intended action is “by hand”. You assumed it meant with anything as the action implies “rubbing”. Wrong direction to go. Step 4 is to imply that you are done “rubbing” and now wish to remove the excess cleaner by using a dry material(cotton). Your described process shows you do not polish them with a dry cloth/buffer. So you are wrong. You’re not using the products as it’s intended. Your usage of a rubbing compound in a polisher is wrong.

I bet if we were to measure the sizes of your balls they would be outside the allowed variations for competitive play.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well let’s see, step 3 says to “rub well”. The wordage implies the intended action is “by hand”. You assumed it meant with anything as the action implies “rubbing”. Wrong direction to go. Step 4 is to imply that you are done “rubbing” and now wish to remove the excess cleaner by using a dry material(cotton). Your described process shows you do not polish them with a dry cloth/buffer. So you are wrong. You’re not using the products as it’s intended. Your usage of a rubbing compound in a polisher is wrong.

I bet if we were to measure the sizes of your balls they would be outside the allowed variations for competitive play.

lol, there's that "comprehension " issue again.

Right in the second post of this thread I described how I first rub the balls with a micro-fiber cloth, just as described in Step #3 on the old Aramith Ball Cleaner bottle. Then, I put them in the Diamond ball polisher to, wait for it... "polish" them.

Having used many rubbing compounds over the years, I would not consider Aramith Ball Cleaner a rubbing compound. Now, their Aramith Billiard Ball Restorer is another matter.

Lastly, I would be more than happy to take your bet but I have no idea how we have it decided to your satisfaction. Regardless, I promise you the Centennials I use and take to the pool hall are very within spec.

Thanks for playing though.

Lou Figueroa

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Quote from Diamond Billiards web site http://www.diamondbilliards.com/Accessories/BallPolishers.aspx:

"Recommended cleaning kits
Aramith Ball Cleaner..."

:thumbup:

Here's something to think about. Before I designed the ball polisher Diamond was selling the Aramith cleaner. Mark Griffin bought the Diamond polisher for the BCA pool league nationals playoffs because he wanted a polished that worked and would hold up polishing 1000s of sets of balls. He liked the Mequires detailer cleaner because it could just be sprayed on. When I designed the ball polisher in 1995, I used the Meguires paste cleaner wax. Today, the cleaner was is still being used by Bad Boys Promotions at all the Diamond table supplied events, CSI, BCA, APA....if the tables are Diamonds, the cleaner wax is Meguires cleaner wax. I've replaced more carpeting in the Diamond ball polishers because of using the Aramith cleaner compound than ANY other reason for replacing the carpeting. I designed the machine, I built the machine, and I know what I want to see used to clean the balls in the machine. But like always, anyone can use anything they want, but if the machine don't work right...don't blame the machine, blame the operator!!!!

pocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How a simple question turns in to a "quien es mas macho" show in three easy steps...AZB style.

poolhustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How a simple question turns in to a "quien es mas macho" show in three easy steps...AZB style.

3 Easy peasy steps ....

1. Ask a simple question.
2. Get Glen or Revo involved.
3. Sit back with your popcorn and watch the show.

:D

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's something to think about. Before I designed the ball polisher Diamond was selling the Aramith cleaner. Mark Griffin bought the Diamond polisher for the BCA pool league nationals playoffs because he wanted a polished that worked and would hold up polishing 1000s of sets of balls. He liked the Mequires detailer cleaner because it could just be sprayed on. When I designed the ball polisher in 1995, I used the Meguires paste cleaner wax. Today, the cleaner was is still being used by Bad Boys Promotions at all the Diamond table supplied events, CSI, BCA, APA....if the tables are Diamonds, the cleaner wax is Meguires cleaner wax. I've replaced more carpeting in the Diamond ball polishers because of using the Aramith cleaner compound than ANY other reason for replacing the carpeting. I designed the machine, I built the machine, and I know what I want to see used to clean the balls in the machine. But like always, anyone can use anything they want, but if the machine don't work right...don't blame the machine, blame the operator!!!!

Here are some more somethings to think about:

1. Regardless who made what, what the original intent was, or who is using it at what events, Dan White's experiments show that McGuire's is not the bestest product to polish pool balls. It will change the way they play and the variations in throw, as the product wears off, will lead to inconsistent performance.

2. Aramith knows more about the care and feeding of phenolic resin pool balls than the rest of us combined, they've been at it since the 50's. So if they've come up with a product they believe is best to clean their balls, they're probably closer to the mark than the company that came up with a product for waxing cars with clear coat.

3. Diamond has apparently had a change of heart and now recommends Aramith Ball Cleaner.

4. As I have shown and Glen acknowledge, Aramith Ball Cleaner can be safely used in the machine he designed. Just don't use too much and not too often.

Finally, all of that is where the benefit of these discussions lies. Hopefully, some will take away something of use and stop using a product that is going to make playing an already difficult game even more difficult, and more fully enjoy their Diamond ball polisher.

Lou Figueroa