Do you remember when?

jayman

Hi Mom!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I remember when only a 13mm tip had any value. No manly man would buy a cue less than 19.0 oz. no one needed a cue longer than 58" Chalk was chalk was chalk. Only a women would wear a glove to play pool. Did I miss any?

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member
I remember when only a 13mm tip had any value. No manly man would buy a cue less than 19.0 oz. no one needed a cue longer than 58" Chalk was chalk was chalk. Only a women would wear a glove to play pool. Did I miss any?

And EVERYBODY played 9 ball as 2 fouls ( pushout, rollout ) ball in hand ( and, so, shot spot shots!!! )!

:grin: :grin-square: :grin:

Last edited:

Frankenstroke

2 Gus Szamboti cues
Silver Member
...the best players carried Fellini cases. No need for pouches, jump cues, break cues,
break/jump cues, personal triangles, personal bridge heads, $30 chalk, gloves.

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wait, what?... I remember !

All my cues are 58", 13mm, 20.5 to 21 OZ.. there'll be no LD shafts, extensions, balance rites, or $30 chalk. OK, I carry a break cue...:grin-square:

Michael Andros

Silver Member
Wait, what?... I remember !

All my cues are 58", 13mm, 20.5 to 21 OZ.. there'll be no LD shafts, extensions, balance rites, or $30 chalk. OK, I carry a break cue...:grin-square:

I don't! Or a jump cue! But I DO have a Fellini case!!!

All because I am older than frickin' DIRT. :yeah: :dance: :yeah:

zeeder

Will queue for cues
Silver Member
I have to hand in my man card as I just bought a 60” carbon cue with 11.8 and 12mm tips, a glove, and an extension lol. It is 19oz though and can be adjusted to 21. Hopefully I’ll still be able to jump full cue with it.

Edit: Oh yeah, I forgot I bought some Russian Magic Chalk to try as well lol.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member

1” ferrules
Single-layer tips

We racked with wooden racks, and didn’t obsess on checking them.
We shot with the shaft that came with the butt.
We needed a stroke to draw the ball.

Michael Andros

Silver Member
1” ferrules
Single-layer tips

We racked with wooden racks, and didn’t obsess on checking them.
We shot with the shaft that came with the butt.
We needed a stroke to draw the ball.

I STILL need a stroke to draw the rock... but only when I'm drawing it more than 4 rails!

:rotflmao1:

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
And EVERYBODY played 9 ball as 2 fouls ( pushout, rollout ) ball in hand ( and, so, shot spot shots!!! )!

:grin: :grin-square: :grin:

8 ball. Ball in hand behind the line. Spot shots.
Odd Ball $.25 a way. Go for the hit or 2 bad hits ball in hand.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
All the top players wore alligator shoes, a dress shirt and fancy bell bottom pants with a matching jacket. They had style and class and were proud to be great pool players. Even the Hollywood crowd looked up to them. The best players got invited to all the snazziest private night clubs (The Factory in Hollywood) and to parties at celebrity mansions.

Jimmy Caan, Telly Savalas, Fred Astaire and Peter Falk had a lot of players (Ed Kelly, Ronnie Allen, Richie Florence, Danny Diliberto) come to their homes for private games. So did Phil Spector, who used to come to the poolroom with $25,000 gambling money in the 1960's! :D

LeonD123

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
13mm tip :eek: what the duck ?

1.JPG

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All the top players wore alligator shoes, a dress shirt and fancy bell bottom pants with a matching jacket. They had style and class and were proud to be great pool players. Even the Hollywood crowd looked up to them. The best players got invited to all the snazziest private night clubs (The Factory in Hollywood) and to parties at celebrity mansions.

Jimmy Caan, Telly Savalas, Fred Astaire and Peter Falk had a lot of players (Ed Kelly, Ronnie Allen, Richie Florence, Danny Diliberto) come to their homes for private games. So did Phil Spector, who used to come to the poolroom with $25,000 gambling money in the 1960's! :D

Jay, those are some serious heavyweights of Hollywood history you listed there...I'm wondering was there also a respect for the equipment back then to the point where any of those big stars had a gold crown installed in their homes?

Or back then, was a table just a table?

Did players look to play on serious equipment with various pocket sizes?