With so many LD shafts on the market now, how can one decide?

tjlmbklr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry to open this can of worms, I did try the search function but didn't get the answers I needed.

There are so many shafts on the market and many of the brands of shafts have multiple models. How does one decide? Has anyone found an independent sites like Dr. Daves www.billiards.colostate.edu/ that tests them?

I am leaning towards a Meucci Pro shaft 31", but want to make sure I am making the right choice.

Try before you buy when it comes to cues can get very costly.

Thanks!
-TJ

haystj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Before the LD wave hit, how did one decide on which maple shaft to purchase?

Same concept.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry to open this can of worms, I did try the search function but didn't get the answers I needed.

There are so many shafts on the market and many of the brands of shafts have multiple models. How does one decide? Has anyone found an independent sites like Dr. Daves www.billiards.colostate.edu/ that tests them?

I am leaning towards a Meucci Pro shaft 31", but want to make sure I am making the right choice.

Thanks!
-TJ
Search out players that have them and try them out. The Pro shaft plays really nice. I also like the OB Classic+ and the Mezz 700(my current shaft). There's not a ton of difference in how they play, its just a matter of finding the hit/feel/sound you like. I like the Mezz because it really feels/sounds like solid maple. Only drawback to a Mezz is you kinda have to have a Mezz cue due to the joint types. I've hit 3-4 cues with the Pro and it is a sweet shaft.

Last edited:

lakeman77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Price would be a good place to start.
IMO, noticeable difference between LD and solid maple, small difference between any of the LD's.
Skinny ones tend to be less forgiving.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Price would be a good place to start.
IMO, noticeable difference between LD and solid maple, small difference between any of the LD's.
Skinny ones tend to be less forgiving.
Totally agree. I tried a Z-shaft and while being really low-D you have to be VERY precise when striking the cue-ball. My Mezz is 12.5mm with a Ultraskin med. and i really like this combo.

tjlmbklr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Before the LD wave hit, how did one decide on which maple shaft to purchase?

Same concept.

Not exactly the same. Back then people wanted a good solid hit and feel. Now they want that but with LD and a shaft that is not so light it compromises the balance.

a lot of variables now.

Last edited:

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Well just depends on how much deflection you like.

For the lowest deflection you just go with Predator.

If you are a Meucci fan just go with Meucci.

If you are not worried about fit and tolerances just go with OB.

With OB there is a good chance you'll have to send it back for repairs.

Jerry R

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thanks!
-TJ

I've owned a bunch of them and the Meucci pro is certainly my favorite. I'm currently shooting with a Jacoby Edge, but that is only because I was able to get it in a 32" length and didn't see the Meucci was available in more than a 30"....
The one thing I've noticed more than anything in trying a bunch of different shafts is that for me, the perceived "hit" has more to do with the tip then with the shaft. I can certainly tell a difference in the shaft, but I've been able to compensate for a lot of what my brain registers as a soft or firm hit by changing the tip.
But for what ever reason the Meucci seems to match/produce the amount of squirt that my brain thinks is going to happen better than the others. I just seem to compensate for it even with a ton of spin with very little thought when I play with that shaft.
So if you can try a bunch out, I'd recommend shooting cut shots with side English and see what works best for you. Then after that if you don't like the sound or the "hit" change tips.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Nothing wrong with that chart, apart from that it does not tell you the most important thing: How does it feel.
There`s also lots of shafts missing from that list.
Staring yourself blind by reading stats is almost never a good thing.
Here are a few things to consider:
- What tip diameter do you prefer?
- What kind of taper do you prefer
- What`s your budget
- What joint is you cue, and can you get the shafts your looking at for your cue? Remember that joint collar diameters do vary quite a bit. Meucci and Scorpion can be as low as .790" while most cues are around .840" - .844"

When you have answered those questions, see if you lean more towards full maple shafts like Mezz or Samsara, or if your ok with laminated shafts like predator or Jacoby.
Personally I have a big problem with laminated shafts, they dont feel smooth like a full maple shaft does. Of the laminated shafts out there, nothing feels as good to me as Bob Danielsons SS360/2 shaft. Very nice taper, fairly low deflection, high quality materials and a very reasonable price.
But since I`m a full maple kinda guy, I would choose a Mezz or Samsara True shaft any day.
When it comes to shafts, the old : "try before you buy" still is the best advice. Ask your opponents and friends to try their stuff, find a some shots or drills that gives you as much information in the fewest strokes possible.

Last edited:

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member

Thanks!
-TJ

That can be asked of anything....and one of the reasons Raisin’ Cain’s has such good food lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
Or all the pretty lady fish in de sea....of which to choose hummmmm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not exactly the same. Back then people wanted a good solid hit and feel. Now they want that but with LD and a shaft that is not so light it compromises the balance.

a lot of variables now.

Hit and Feel is very subjective, there is no good way to pick a cue without trying it. Shaft, wood combination, tip, joint, all will affect how the cue hits, and the shaft and tip will affect how it performs, even among standard shafts. I have a cue with 3 original standard shafts, they all play differently. And there is no way to know who will like what type of hit feel either, some people love ivory joints and ferrules, some (like me), don't, just as a single example.

It's the same as with people trying to fix a flaw in their stroke, there is no magic way of "do this drill 50 times and you are cured". There is no way to pick a shaft without trying it to know if you will like it or not.

LeonD123

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm a Z3 user.

I'v tried my friend's OB shaft, with a super soft tip, ZERO deflection. No matter how hard you hit and the amount of spin. Insane.

I wonder if their 11.75mm shaft also have the same perfs.

gogg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Search out players that have them and try them out. The Pro shaft plays really nice. I also like the OB Classic+ and the Mezz 700(my current shaft). There's not a ton of difference in how they play, its just a matter of finding the hit/feel/sound you like. I like the Mezz because it really feels/sounds like solid maple. Only drawback to a Mezz is you kinda have to have a Mezz cue due to the joint types. I've hit 3-4 cues with the Pro and it is a sweet shaft.

Some of the “dedicated” pins are just available in that companies shafts.....
That being said, I love the Mezz 900
And have one with 3/8x10, 5 1/6 x 14, 5 1/16x18 etc so I can play with all the different butts (get your mind out of the gutters)

Mezz doesn’t make a match for Pechauers or quick release models that are brand specific.
Lots of options though.
And they seem VERY consistent in how they feel!

Hope you find your fav

tjlmbklr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Which OB? I had a 30" OB with a Sniper tip on a cue I owned like 7 years ago. I miss that cue.
I'm a Z3 user.

I'v tried my friend's OB shaft, with a super soft tip, ZERO deflection. No matter how hard you hit and the amount of spin. Insane.

I wonder if their 11.75mm shaft also have the same perfs.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Coop1701

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I played with OB for years..., The OB Pro hits great. I never complained about it. I did switch to Mezz though. I am really loving the Shafts they have.