Champion tips

TommyT

Obsessed
Silver Member
Has anyone used these tips, and what are the characteristics ?. I don't think they are available anymore, but does anyone have any??. I hear they were great tips and wonder why they are not being made anymore.

Big-Tattoo

I'm back
Silver Member
Ahh your Cue is done:grin:
the Factory from French closed long time ago. If I remember correctly, this Tips have a red Fiberpad glued on.
Show your Monster.
Ralf

dr9ball

"Lock Doctor"
Silver Member
Has anyone used these tips, and what are the characteristics ?. I don't think they are available anymore, but does anyone have any??. I hear they were great tips and wonder why they are not being made anymore.

I used to play with them. I thought they had similar characteristics to the Triumph tips which are still available.
Give the choice, I would still use a Triangle.

Last edited:

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
The CHAMPION tips some of the top tier makers (iirc SZAM, STROUD, etc.) used in the 70's were the bomb. As good, or better, than any tip that had been made, was being made, or will be made.

CHANDIVERTE (sp?) labeled some tips they made in the late 80's/90's "CHAMPION", but they weren't the same. They also branded some "ROCKY" (harder tip w/o a pad) that played like a ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW.

(i think i know this but it all might be a dream)

LAlouie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hard. but not in a "hard like a rock" way. Hard as in crisp and lively. All other hard tips today feel dead by comparison. There'll never be tips like 'em again.

Rockin' Robin

Mr. Texas Express
Silver Member
Having tried all tips for the last 40 years, don't waste your time, money, effort on any Champion tips. Another 'ooooo it is not available anymore, so it must be better' line of horse hockey. I have some stashed away in many of my 'junk' boxes, but no, I refuse to look for them, so don't ask. I gave them a fair shot on a couple of my cues, and concluded that they were way too soft, mushroomed horribly, and after shaping and trimming a couple of times, there was nothing left of the tip.

HollyWood

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is what I remember ?

Champion tips are French Champions with out the fiber pad. I have some of both. They have distinctive markings on the leather back of the tip_. send pm if interested in a few. The French champions were fatter too,the champions are thinner . mark

Raecarmia

"Only the finest"
Silver Member
Champion, Chandlivert, Rocky... etc

I have some of the Champions, Chandlivert, Rocky, and Super left....I just sold alot of them earlier this week and have about 3 boxes of each left, I will sell them for $5.00 each....

paypall= gcrane2004@yahoo.com

Thanks Gary

TommyT

Obsessed
Silver Member
Ahh your Cue is done:grin:
the Factory from French closed long time ago. If I remember correctly, this Tips have a red Fiberpad glued on.
Show your Monster.
Ralf

It's not done yet, but soon :D. Thanks everyone for the info.

Zbotiman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Champions, originals or copies?

...I played with them and I always kept them on hand. In fact, I think I have about a dozen of them still.

Their characteristics are best exemplified on ivory ferrules, hence the fiber pad underneath them. On the bottom of the fiber pad they have an imprint that was 2 puncture marks. If the 2 marks were not the right distance apart on the pad, they were not the "True, original Champion tips" but copies made latter. Fact is, the Champions everybody wanted were hard to get by 1985 and imitations abounded. Most of what I've seen collectors have today are the copies!

For the record, there are many layered tips today that play much better on phenolic ferrules, however, if you use ivory ferrules, you'll probably like a fiber pad under a solid leather, very hard tip. Now that's a really close approximation of the feel and play of the older, original Champions.

Last edited:

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Champions were great tips. The problem with them was that, in a box of 50, there were wild inconsistencies in the quality of the leather. You had to go through the box and pick out the good ones -- an arcane skill handed down by the old timers.

Lou Figueroa

spktur

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In 1989 the Smithsonian magazine printed an article on Bill Stroud and Josswest. In which he stated the best tips were the old Champions from France but they were no longer readily available and that he watched for them constantly and paid five dollars for them then. The original Champions did have the rust red fibre backing which the quality cue makers recommended for use with the ivory ferrules. They are not like tiangle tips and when sanded sand almost like a wood with a very fine powder and no fuzz. Something else unique to them was they had an odor kind of like bad milk.